Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cincy.com no longer to be free

Re: Cincy.com no longer to be free

I read through their online Q+A from today. I don't think it went quite the way they wanted. I can't say I saw one positive comment and the Enquirer people went on the defensive fast. One interesting thing was that there will no longer be a print-only subscription.

And the silly thing is is that they don't have their pricing model yet. So they've generated a lot of ill will and general FUD and pissed off their whole customer base for the sake of a corporate announcement.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    And you'll keep right on looking if you go to cincinnati.com for unbiased coverage of stories in anything from politics to sports. In fairness that is true of virtually all media, though.
    I suppose as long as actual people are involved, complete journalistic purity will be a problem. I was thinking more of the independent angle, though. Reporters might have problems keeping their opinions out of their reporting, and a columnist's entire job is to have an opinion, but that's still better than never hearing about anything except via people who bring things to our attention because they have a stake in the outcome. And without newspapers, in many places that's all there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have a few news apps on my ipad and I get plenty of content for nothing. I can't remember the last time I bought an Enquirer or even went to their site, so no big loss here.
    The danger is, most free news content exists because someone, somewhere, got paid to create it in the first place. If that whole ecosystem starts going under, we'll have a lot less available to read gratis. That's not a reason to pay for an inferior product, mind you -- just that we'll be worse off if some form of journalism can't figure out a way to remain afloat.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The danger is, most free news content exists because someone, somewhere, got paid to create it in the first place. If that whole ecosystem starts going under, we'll have a lot less available to read gratis. That's not a reason to pay for an inferior product, mind you -- just that we'll be worse off if some form of journalism can't figure out a way to remain afloat.
    Ads can make you some decent money if you have the following.

Turn Off Ads?