Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Police/Fire Scanner question

Police/Fire Scanner question

My wife's aunt asked me to get stop and get her a police scanner at Radio Shack--She is a shut in(doesnt drive). I got her the best one they had. I dont know much about these things. I thought she did but once I got it to her house she was as clueless as I am. The Radio Shack people "cloned" info off of another scanner and now she gets pretty much gets everywhere around here except the area she wanted to get. She only wants 6 local frequencies and I got that off of Radioreference .com but apparently Butler Co(Oh) is on a trunked system called BRICS. We called Radio Shack back to see if they can just program the 6 she wants but they say all they do is the "cloning"...You have to be Spock to understand the directions on this thing....If there is an expert out there is it not possible to just have these 6 frequencies and nothing else?????It is a Pro-197 Digital Trunking Radio Scanner.
    Last edited by BUTLER REDSFAN; 02-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Police/Fire Scanner question

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    My wife's aunt asked me to get stop and get her a police scanner at Radio Shack--She is a shut in(doesnt drive). I got her the best one they had. I dont know much about these things. I thought she did but once I got it to her house she was as clueless as I am. The Radio Shack people "cloned" info off of another scanner and now she gets pretty much gets everywhere around here except the area she wanted to get. She only wants 6 local frequencies and I got that off of Radioreference .com but apparently Butler Co(Oh) is on a trunked system called BRICS. We called Radio Shack back to see if they can just program the 6 she wants but they say all they do is the "cloning"...You have to be Spock to understand the directions on this thing....If there is an expert out there is it not possible to just have these 6 frequencies and nothing else?????It is a Pro-197 Digital Trunking Radio Scanner.
    A lot of emergency freq. are encrypted. This keeps the bad guys in the dark if they ever got a scanner. I don't know if this is the case for your area or not. However, some police freq. are available online

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/

Did you try the online first?

http://butlersheriff.org/radio/about/scanning-brics/

I am thinking the stations you want to tune to are encrypted (secure).

Apparently you can only get the Brics(the entire Butler county system) and cannot just get local frquencies if you want them...seems its an all or nothing setup...and per Radioreference you have to become a member and then pay to get the Brics frequency.... I gave up and just took it back and gave the aunt her money back...

Turn Off Ads?