Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cincy.com no longer to be free

Cincy.com no longer to be free

The enquirer's web site will be switching over to a 2 free articles a month, pay for everything else format, according to a report on WLW I heard this morning. What I find interesting, is that even if you subscribe to the paper, you still have to pay the internet feed if you want to read on line.

I guess that ends the amount of time I'll spend on that site. not surprising, but sad none the less.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cincy.com no longer to be free

The newspaper business is full of idiots who are slow to adapt and by the time they are ready to, they do it 15 years too late. This town is going to be without a newspaper soon enough.

Can't say I am surprised. The internet has virtually destroyed print newspapers. Advertisers have bailed out. Subscriptions have decreased. Jobs have been lost. Competition is fierce. Thing is, they could charge, but folks are just going to go elsewhere to get their local news. However, if the price is kept low, and payment options allow annual subscriptions, I might be inclined to sign up.

Which begs the question, why do web sites automatically renew subscriptions without first asking if you wish to renew? That's a pet peeve of mine. That's seriously the main obstacle why I don't sign up for Netflix or Hulu Plus.

If the Enquirer would allow me to do a one-time charge on my credit card for a year subscription, and then contact me a year from now to ask if I wanted to renew, rather than automatically billing my credit card for a renewal, they will have a much better chance of gaining me as a subscriber.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 02-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

Which begs the question, why do web sites automatically renew subscriptions without first asking if you wish to renew? That's a pet peeve of mine. That's seriously the main obstacle why I don't sign up for Netflix or Hulu Plus.
    So they can get your money when you forget about it in 12 months, even if you no longer want it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So they can get your money when you forget about it in 12 months, even if you no longer want it.
    Plus you're more apt to say "no" if they call you up to renew, than you are to call them and cancel.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Netflix is month to month, you can cancel at any time.

GL

/loves Netflix

The Enquirer will soon learn that while readers will pay for the New York Times the same is not true for their content. This will be one more nail in the coffin.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd pay if it was part of a rich-media, full-featured iPad app kinda like "The Daily" -- but there's no way I'm forking over for the same mostly-mediocre content I've been getting for free already. If the Enquirer wants me to pay, they need to come with better content and an incentive to subscribe.

Otherwise, honestly, WLWT.com does about the same job reporting on local stories via their website.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The Enquirer will soon learn that while readers will pay for the New York Times the same is not true for their content. This will be one more nail in the coffin.
    Very true.

Frankly, I don't go to their web site much because I find it poorly designed and the ad pop-ups and scroll-overs are too annoying.

I still get the newspaper, but more so that my dog can fetch it in the morning and have some purpose in life. The paper has actually gotten better in the last 6 months or so, but is still a pale copy of what it once was.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I still like getting my weekend paper and reading it. I hardly ever visit cincinnati.com and for some reason I don't like reading a newspaper on a computer. I still get magazines because I don't like reading them on an iPad or computer. For some reason I like the physical copy in my hands.

My wife used to work at the Enquirer and said this has been in the works for months now. They have tried many things and just haven't found the right way to charge for things. For me the main issue I have with the enquirer is the level of writing and coverage has gone straight downhill. They have been cutting cost but have cut quality and coverage at the same time.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Yeah, if they were going to charge, they should have done so straight-away and salvaged some of the content they were providing.

Now they've cut costs to nothing and done away with a lot of the coverage that would entice people to subscribe in the first place.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Why pay for such a horrible paper?

Masochist much?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd pay if it was part of a rich-media, full-featured iPad app kinda like "The Daily" -- but there's no way I'm forking over for the same mostly-mediocre content I've been getting for free already. If the Enquirer wants me to pay, they need to come with better content and an incentive to subscribe.

Otherwise, honestly, WLWT.com does about the same job reporting on local stories via their website.
    It is funny that you bring up the iPad app. While I don't have an iPad, I do have several Android based devices. Just last week they made a big deal about having a new app available for Cincinnati.com for the appstore and android markets. Essentially they are now likely to just kill off anyone who actually kept that piece of garbage app to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why pay for such a horrible paper?

Masochist much?
    People won't. Soon enough Cincinnati will either not have a paper at all, or have a brand new one in place of the Enquirer.

If the kept the price low..... I would do it. And by low I mean like $5 a year. They might even see about charging for separate areas. For example, I only care about Sports. Don't live in Cincy, never lived in Cincy, won't ever live in Cincy. Only thing I want to read about is Reds.

Turn Off Ads?