Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty's theory on winning

Dusty's theory on winning

“All the people see is negative parts. The name of the game is he who touches home plate the most wins. It’s very simple. Runs. How you get them home doesn’t matter."

I agree with him, scoring runs is huge, RBI is huge too IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty's theory on winning

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    “All the people see is negative parts. The name of the game is he who touches home plate the most wins. It’s very simple. Runs. How you get them home doesn’t matter."

I agree with him, scoring runs is huge, RBI is huge too IMO.
    Unless, of course, your job is to figure out how to get more of them.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Did someone follow up asking him if he believed their was better strategies to score runs than others? And if he could give a realistic example of how this team can manufacture them throughout the season?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    “ The name of the game is he who touches home plate the most wins. ."
    Wait lets slow down and make sure we understand this. Is what Dusty is saying that the team that gets the most runs win or is he saying we should train the catcher to tap the plate a lot when he is out there? I think it is the first but the second would be really interesting to run some sabr studies on. Come to think of it do we know of any studies that show how this score the most runs theory verifies?

Edit: I found this verification done for the 2011 season. http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings From what I can tell is they looked at which team scored the most runs in a game and assigned a win or loss result to it. They used the old school terms of win and loss as opposed to the more modern RC/27. It will be curious to see how Dusty's theory plays out over the 2012 season and which other teams will implement this philosophy of trying to score more runs than the opponent. From what chatter I have heard the theory is being adopted by most teams with the possible exception of Houston which is seeking to adopt golf scoring rules for this season.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The problem is, when some guys are batting, they tap home plate with the toe part of their shoes, and those don't count as runs.

Therefore, his quote doesn't completely make sense.

It's a simple game.

Out of fairness to Baker, the quote above is taken out of context. The blurb was about batters striking out. He mentioned Stubbs, but also included the number of K's for Votto, Bruce and Heisey. The paragraph prior to this said:

“Stubbs wasn’t the only guy,” Baker said. “He just had the most. Just imagine how good our offense would be if we put it in play a little more. We were still second in the league in runs scored."

The point of the piece was that the club plans on working with batters to cut down on those strike outs, although he noted that most of these guys (presumably being the type of batters they are) have had a number of K's their whole life.

Here's the link to the whole piece: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...PT04/302230066
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Uhh, ohh. Here comes the strikeouts aren't bad because double plays suck debate.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Uhh, ohh. Here comes the strikeouts aren't bad because double plays suck debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Im sorry, I dont care about all the gazillion stats, K's are bad anyway you look at it

Not sure where your comment is aimed, but I certainly didn't take that away from the article or Baker's comments. Or is it just the general expectation of where such a discussion ends up? While I'm sure it's commonplace, I'm glad the club intends to try to rectify this situation. It remains to be seen whether they can succeed, but anything that allows these guys to put the ball in play more often has to be a good thing.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If you have been here a while, you know what happens when strikeouts get discussed. My take, is the same as icehole3:

I'm sorry, I dont care about all the gazillion stats, K's are bad anyway you look at it

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

It's a simple game, yet it's not. Which is why it's so perplexing sometimes. Which is why many of us love it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It certainly lends itself to second guessing, where the "second guesser" can never be wrong. Where's red_in_la? He and I used to go round and round about second guessing. To the extent that I started defending a manager that I didn't care for. I miss him.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 02-24-2012 at 10:00 AM.

At least the strike out lovers around here have shut up on the Adam Dunn's a Hall of Famer talk. Be thankful for small miracles...

Turn Off Ads?