Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Birthdays: 2/24

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,727

    Birthdays: 2/24

    Reds:

    Brian Esposito (33) -Three career PAs in the bigs, and not likely to get any more with the Reds this season.

    DeWayne Wise (34) -A fifth-round pick of the Reds who was taken by the Blue Jays in the Rule 5 draft. Has bounced around to a number of clubs, including the Reds; he's currently in the Yankee organization.

    Bronson Arroyo (35) -In its 121-year history, there have been only four perfect games pitched in the International League. Bronson has one of them. I predict he makes a minor comeback this year.

    Nick Esasky (52) -He lost some of the first part of his career to Pete Rose's selfish quest for the hit record, and some of the last part due to recurring vertigo. For a couple of years in between, he was a nice player.

    Others:

    Eddie Murray (56) -One of 12 kids. Played high school ball on the same team as Ozzie Smith. Only Mickey Mantle hit more homers as a switch hitter.

    Bugs Raymond -I was going to relate some humorous anecdotes about Bugs being a drunk, but the more I read the more it was actually kind of sad. Bugs had a lot of natural ability, but he was a severe alcoholic, and it wrecked his career and his family, and eventually contributed to his early and violent death. Alcoholism, even at a distance, is not funny or cute or quaint.

    Honus Wagner -Maybe the greatest all-around player ever. Bill James selected his 1908 season as the best individual seaon ever. In a league where the average team ERA was 2.35, Honus hit .354 with 109 RBIs and played gold-glove-level defense.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,885

    Re: Birthdays: 2/24

    Didn't one of Murray's brothers also reach the big leagues? I think it was Rich Murray, if I remember my old baseball cards correctly

    Eddie was one of my favorite non-Reds during the 80s and 90s - he just seemed to be an excellent hitter and I always thought he was one of the best in the game back then

  4. #3
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,467

    Re: Birthdays: 2/24

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Didn't one of Murray's brothers also reach the big leagues? I think it was Rich Murray, if I remember my old baseball cards correctly

    Eddie was one of my favorite non-Reds during the 80s and 90s - he just seemed to be an excellent hitter and I always thought he was one of the best in the game back then
    Yes Rich Murray was Eddie's brother. He didn't play long and I don't even remember who he played with now.

    Of course as most of you know, Honus Wagner has one of the most valued baseball cards in the history of collecting. I think it was Wayne Gretzky that paid about $1m for one of those a number of years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #4
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,520

    Re: Birthdays: 2/24

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes Rich Murray was Eddie's brother. He didn't play long and I don't even remember who he played with now.

    Of course as most of you know, Honus Wagner has one of the most valued baseball cards in the history of collecting. I think it was Wayne Gretzky that paid about $1m for one of those a number of years ago.
    Rich Murray played for the Giants.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #5
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,049

    Re: Birthdays: 2/24

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

    Bronson Arroyo (35) -In its 121-year history, there have been only four perfect games pitched in the International League. Bronson has one of them. I predict he makes a minor comeback this year.
    Well done young man. Arroyo bounced back to his old self in 2012.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25