Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

    0 0%
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

    0 0%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

    1 2.22%
  • RHP Vaughn Covington

    1 2.22%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

    3 6.67%
  • LHP Blaine Howell

    0 0%
  • RHP Jake Johnson

    0 0%
  • LHP Chris Manno

    10 22.22%
  • UT Cody Puckett

    1 2.22%
  • RHP Josh Ravin

    5 11.11%
  • RHP Dan Renken

    3 6.67%
  • RHP Chad Rogers

    0 0%
  • RHP Sal Romano

    7 15.56%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

    6 13.33%
  • IF Chris Valaika

    8 17.78%
  • other (please list below)

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

  1. #1
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    #1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco
    #31 OF Kyle Waldrop
    #32 RHP Pedro Villarreal
    #33 RHP Josh Judy
    #34 RHP Nick Christiani
    #35 RHP Drew Hayes
    #36 IF Juan Perez

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,323

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Still voting for Josh Ravin. An arm with a mid 90's fastball and a good breaking ball, even with his inconsistencies, deserves to be on this list.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,700

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Some will say that the stuff is lacking, but to me, Manno's numbers are simply too good to dismiss.

    For his career (2 seasons): 78.1 IP, 38 H, 1 HR, 31 BB, 129 K, 15 Sv, 1.26 ERA. 0.881 WHIP.

    Left-handed, 6-foot-3. Out of Duke. 23 years old. Finished last season in High-A.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    962

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    I voted for Sal Romano. He's an over-slot prep arm that can already hit 93... this late in the rankings, that's saying something.

  6. #5
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,146

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Some will say that the stuff is lacking, but to me, Manno's numbers are simply too good to dismiss.

    For his career (2 seasons): 78.1 IP, 38 H, 1 HR, 31 BB, 129 K, 15 Sv, 1.26 ERA. 0.881 WHIP.

    Left-handed, 6-foot-3. Out of Duke. 23 years old. Finished last season in High-A.
    I have to agree. Doug's argumment got me to consider Ravin, but I'm not convinced he'll ever put it together and actually produce. I think Manno has a chance to be a really valuable LH bullpen option in a couple years.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,700

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Just throwing this out there:

    Miguel Rojas hasn't appeared on the ballot, and nobody, to my knowledge, has mentioned him. It's understandable, given his lack of power, his very modest production and his downtime with injuries over the past couple years. But early in his career, he was regularly portrayed as probably the most advanced shortstop prospect--defensively, that is--in the organization. Does anyone know if he is still held in the same regard? And does anyone think he ought to be in the conversation at this point?

    This came to mind while reading the reports out of Arizona on Gregorius's impressive glove work. Has he made Rojas irrelevant?

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,323

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Just throwing this out there:

    Miguel Rojas hasn't appeared on the ballot, and nobody, to my knowledge, has mentioned him. It's understandable, given his lack of power, his very modest production and his downtime with injuries over the past couple years. But early in his career, he was regularly portrayed as probably the most advanced shortstop prospect--defensively, that is--in the organization. Does anyone know if he is still held in the same regard? And does anyone think he ought to be in the conversation at this point?

    This came to mind while reading the reports out of Arizona on Gregorius's impressive glove work. Has he made Rojas irrelevant?
    Rojas is still a great defender, but it is very telling that the Reds moved him off of shortstop when Gregorius was ready to get to AA. They just don't see Rojas ever being able to hit (would be my guess).

  9. #8
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    I'm sticking with the upside of Covington here.

  10. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,323

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I'm sticking with the upside of Covington here.
    Is his upside really any bigger than Josh Ravin's? I am a Covington fan, but Ravin throws harder and has a better breaking ball.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,700

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is his upside really any bigger than Josh Ravin's? I am a Covington fan, but Ravin throws harder and has a better breaking ball.
    But Covington's 18. Ravin is 24 and has a solid tradition of not putting his good stuff to great advantage.

    (Of course, I voted for Manno.)

  12. #11
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is his upside really any bigger than Josh Ravin's? I am a Covington fan, but Ravin throws harder and has a better breaking ball.
    My thought is no news is better than bad news for Covington. I know guys with great stuff sometimes take longer to harnass it, but we are talking a 5.9 career BB/9 from Ravin and it was 6.0 last year so it is not necessarily getting better. Sometimes it just clicks eventually with a Sandy Koufax or Randy Johnson, but I am not going to let the exception prove the rule with those guys. I just don't think Ravin will get his act together and Covington has a lot more time to figure things out than Ravin does.

  13. #12
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,323

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    My thought is no news is better than bad news for Covington. I know guys with great stuff sometimes take longer to harnass it, but we are talking a 5.9 career BB/9 from Ravin and it was 6.0 last year so it is not necessarily getting better. Sometimes it just clicks eventually with a Sandy Koufax or Randy Johnson, but I am not going to let the exception prove the rule with those guys. I just don't think Ravin will get his act together and Covington has a lot more time to figure things out than Ravin does.
    Certainly, but he said he was taking the upside. If we are only taking the upside of someone, then I can't see anyone left having the upside of a guy who throws 94-95 and hits 97 with an above-average breaking ball. His floor of course is a problem due to the control, as you noted.

  14. #13
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Certainly, but he said he was taking the upside. If we are only taking the upside of someone, then I can't see anyone left having the upside of a guy who throws 94-95 and hits 97 with an above-average breaking ball. His floor of course is a problem due to the control, as you noted.
    People have different definitions of "upside". If Ravin has the same fastball and breaking ball at age 30 with the same, mediocre results in the minors (sorry, Josh, if you're reading this), does his upside remain the same? As a prospect ages, his tools may stay the same, but it is less likely he will become a quality Major Leaguer. I think it's okay for a person to factor age into if he wants. Right now, I agree that Covington has more upside than Ravin.

    edit: Let's also not forget Ravin's injury history.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 02-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.

  15. #14
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,323

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    People have different definitions of "upside". If Ravin has the same fastball and breaking ball at age 30 with the same, mediocre results in the minors (sorry, Josh, if you're reading this), does his upside remain the same? As a prospect ages, his tools may stay the same, but it is less likely he will become a quality Major Leaguer. I think it's okay for a person to factor age into if he wants. Right now, I agree that Covington has more upside than Ravin.

    edit: Let's also not forget Ravin's injury history.
    Eventually, the upside does go down some because at 30 you aren't expected to keep the same stuff as you age over the next 5-7 years. But at 23/24, you can be expected to maintain at least similar stuff over the next 5-7 years sans an injury that derails you.

  16. #15
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eventually, the upside does go down some because at 30 you aren't expected to keep the same stuff as you age over the next 5-7 years. But at 23/24, you can be expected to maintain at least similar stuff over the next 5-7 years sans an injury that derails you.
    For all we know, Covington could quickly become a dominant pitcher by the age of 22. Ravin is 6 years older and has barely reached AA (with 28 terrible innings on top of it). To his credit, he must have a lot of heart to stick with it this far.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25