Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zumaya has torn UCL

-The Insider-

Zumaya has torn UCL

This is horrible. I am sure you've heard of the former Tigers prospect. Now with Minnesota, he has suffered yet another injury. This is likely career ending for the 27-year-old. He has been injured on five different occasions ranging from hand to shoulder to elbow.

I just feel bad for him. I always thought he could be a great setup man at worse. It's just sad to see such a promising career derailed by injuries.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Zumaya has torn UCL

It is those mechanics that are just brutal. Bummer for him, he had an electric arm. Hopefully he saved some of his money.

Very sad. He had electric stuff and could have been a brilliant reliever when healthy, but as dougdirt said those mechanics were brutal. His arm was never going to last.

Jeez, I think he should just give up the dream at this point.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The sad thing is that he is probably best known for hurting his wrist playing Guitar Hero.

The guy had electric stuff. His arm breaking in 2010 was a sick thing to actually watch live on the MLB network.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer- but he threw so hard you almost had to see it coming.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer- but he threw so hard you almost had to see it coming.
    Reds fans shouldn't be saying that ...

ε°θ‘›η‘žθ² vs Zumaya 104mph - YouTube

Aroldis Chapman - YouTube

There is a pretty distinct difference between the pitching motions of Zumaya and Chapman.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Had nothing to do with how hard he threw. Had everything to do with his arm action and his getting his elbow much higher than his shoulder while he was loading. Hyperabduction is a very bad thing and Zumaya was one of the worst around.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

There is a pretty distinct difference between the pitching motions of Zumaya and Chapman.
    Chapman loads behind his back (that is good). Zumaya loads above his shoulder (that is bad).

I was at that game. It's easily my favorite Ken Griffey Jr. memory of my lifetime. There was a lot of excitement around Zumaya in Detroit that summer and Griffey hit an absolute BOMB of a grand slam off of him to take the lead. Unfortunately, David Weathers blew the save when Curtis Granderson hit an opposite-field homer down the left-field line that Ryan Freel almost robbed if he had timed it right, and Craig Monroe won it in extras for the Tigers. I got beer thrown on me for my Dunn jersey in the cheap seats. Gotta love Detroit.

Two years later, I was on the field and got the chance to ask Griffey about that specific home run. I described the game to him, but he said he couldn't remember it. I was astonished... how could he not remember a grand slam he hit to take the lead against an AL team he rarely plays? His response: "Kid, I've hit a lot of home runs"...

-The Insider-

Joel Zumaya told reporters Monday that he hasn't decided whether he's going to retire.
    Zumaya called it a "family decision" and said that he will speak with other pitchers who have undergone Tommy John surgery to get a gauge on what the recovery process is like. The 27-year-old tore his UCL after throwing just 13 pitches in Twins camp. He'll keep $400,000 of the $850,000 deal he agreed to in January.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chapman loads behind his back (that is good). Zumaya loads above his shoulder (that is bad).
    Reminds me of a classic Simpsons scene.

The Simpsons - Frogurt - YouTube

Dp

According to my math, Zumaya earned $30,769 per pitch this spring. I always liked the guy. Went to see him do a rehab appearance several years ago when Toledo was in Richmond when Richmond was still with the Braves. Sad.

Saw him hit 107 in Lakeland during spring training several years ago. I kind of think he will retire, we'll see.

Turn Off Ads?