Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Marshall nearing extension

[redacted]

Reds and Marshall nearing extension

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...medium=twitter

Love it. Makes me feel a whole lot better about that trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    throws 106. NBD.

Re: Reds and Marshall nearing extension

Fantastic news.

AGREED! That makes the trade make a whole lot more sense.

This is big for the Reds. Really would be nice to have Marshall for a few years. According to Fay's twitter, the free agents for the Reds after this season are Marshall, Cairo, Rolen, and Ludwick. If that is correct and we sign Marshall, this team can remain virtually unchanged for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    This is big for the Reds. Really would be nice to have Marshall for a few years. According to Fay's twitter, the free agents for the Reds after this season are Marshall, Cairo, Rolen, and Ludwick. If that is correct and we sign Marshall, this team can remain virtually unchanged for a couple of seasons.
    What about Madson?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Good to hear.

I'd still like to see Marshall give starting another shot.

Leave Chapman in the pen and we'd still have two lefties there.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Good to hear.

I'd still like to see Marshall give starting another shot.

Leave Chapman in the pen and we'd still have two lefties there.
    I am very good friends with a cubs fan (regrettably), and when we were talking about the deal I mentioned that he has a good chance of being our closer after madson's departure. He seemed apprehensive. He boasted about Marshall's flexibility in that the guy shouldn't be limited to single inning appearances. Sometimes they needed him for 3+ innings, and he gave it to them. In a non closer role we also have the ability to throw him in at any point in the game when we need it most rather than just the ninth inning which many will argue is more valuable. In fact, he thought that, if anything, marshall should get the chance to start again. Either way, a guy like marshall in the pen is huge asset

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    What about Madson?
    I'm guessing he didn't count him because of the options. How he missed Phillips beats me.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

I wonder what BP thinks of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    I wonder what BP thinks of this?
    Brandon is my fab player, but he can't be mad. His people have stretched this out as long as they can.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    I am very good friends with a cubs fan (regrettably), and when we were talking about the deal I mentioned that he has a good chance of being our closer after madson's departure. He seemed apprehensive. He boasted about Marshall's flexibility in that the guy shouldn't be limited to single inning appearances. Sometimes they needed him for 3+ innings, and he gave it to them. In a non closer role we also have the ability to throw him in at any point in the game when we need it most rather than just the ninth inning which many will argue is more valuable. In fact, he thought that, if anything, marshall should get the chance to start again. Either way, a guy like marshall in the pen is huge asset
    Interesting. I agree, he's a huge asset in the pen.

Not sure anyone has a clue on whether Marshall would be interested in starting again. It would admittedly be a bit of a a gamble, considering his dominance in the set-up role during the last two years.

But it isn't as if he hasn't had any success as a starter...in 19 starts (21 games total) in 2007 at age 24, he had an ERA+ of 118, better than anything Homer Bailey has ever put together.

If Marshall could duplicate his relief numbers as a starter, his value to the Reds would be doubled or more.

Part of my thinking has to do with my doubts about Chapman succeeding as a starter.
    Last edited by malcontent; 02-26-2012 at 04:55 PM.

[redacted]

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    \If Marshall could duplicate his relief peripherals as a starter, his value to the Reds would be doubled or more.
    Far more than double. If Marshall could replicate his peripherals over 180-200 innings, he'd be the best starting pitcher in all of baseball. Obviously expecting that is out of the question, but it is worth having a discussion over. On one hand, he's got a really good thing going in the bullpen and screwing with that would be disastrous. On the other, if he has such incredible command of his curve and is consistently getting people out with it, why couldn't he start games? He kills lefties, of course, but the splits in general are very good, so he's not just a LOOGY. I wouldn't think it's a durability issue, as he came up as a SP. Could just be a head thing. His strike outs jumped way up and the HR rates plummeted once he switched to a relieving role. I say leave him for now, too much riding on these coming seasons to pull a Danny Graves 2.0.

I don't think nearly enough people are giving adequate credit to how much the Reds bullpen overhaul will help this year's team. Last year's pen was overworked and for the most part pretty lousy. If you can expect some Improvement from Lecure and Ondrusek after their first year of extended big league work, improvement from Arredondo now that he's further removed from injury, and even possible improvement from Masset who won't be forced into as many critical high stress situations and you'll have one of the best pens in baseball top to bottom.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    Multiple lights-out innings reminds me of Scott Williamson in the late 90s. Before his arm was shot, that guy was nasty out of the pen.

They need to get Philips signed before talking all these extensions with other players.Or play out his option year,find a new team,and leave us with another infield question mark.
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 02-26-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Turn Off Ads?