Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sports Science video on Chapman...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Sports Science video on Chapman...

I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not, but it's really very interesting. If he can harness that elusive control...OH MY!

Aroldis Chapman - YouTube
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sports Science video on Chapman...

Dude is a freak.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

That excellent stuff. It's nice to know that his uniqueness is scientifically validated.

On a slightly related note, I liked the nugget in Fay's blog today regarding Chapman and Mesoraco--liked it especially from the Mes perspective. Good to see that a rookie catcher has a way with his pitchers:

After catching Aroldis Chapman, Devin Mesoraco called him over and talked about arm angles.

“Here is horse—-,” Mesoraco said with his arm a sidearm angle.

“Here is bueno.” Mesoraco said with his arm overhead.

Great find! The part where it says that his arm fires the ball in .35 seconds scares the crap outta me. How long can he keep doing it like that without major damage is my main concern.

I wonder where he learned those mechanics? Is it natural or did the Cubans teach him?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurn View Post
    Great find! The part where it says that his arm fires the ball in .35 seconds scares the crap outta me. How long can he keep doing it like that without major damage is my main concern.
    Me too. At some point you hit the wall in terms of what kind of stresses the human body (muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones) can withstand.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Me too. At some point you hit the wall in terms of what kind of stresses the human body (muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones) can withstand.
    True, but we are all different. I see it in my clinical practice every single day (ie- non sports related). Some folks are freaks of nature.

For every 100 Joel Zumaya's, there is one Nolan Ryan, or Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens, or heck, even the Big Train, Walter Johnson.

Or Aroldis Chapman.

All bodies are different. If Zumaya ( or Dibble?) had been taught to throw differently, more safely, would they have been able to throw as hard?

And (this is a question I think Dibble would honestly answer) would they trade a healthy normal arm for 3-4 years of outstanding MLB pitching, if they couldn't have both?

Look at that Sport Science video again. Freeze it at the 0:31 point. Checkout Randy Johnson's elbow. Supposedly it's a Cardinal sin for your elbow to ever get out in front of your shoulder and that's supposedly been Joel Zumaya's problem... but then look at the Big Unit! That elbow is waaay out there. If that's the case, how did he ever pitch so long without a problem? Was there ever anything written predicting his demise after looking at those mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Look at that Sport Science video again. Freeze it at the 0:31 point. Checkout Randy Johnson's elbow. Supposedly it's a Cardinal sin for your elbow to ever get out in front of your shoulder and that's supposedly been Joel Zumaya's problem... but then look at the Big Unit! That elbow is waaay out there. If that's the case, how did he ever pitch so long without a problem? Was there ever anything written predicting his demise after looking at those mechanics?
    I thought it was elbow above the shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I thought it was elbow above the shoulder?
    That doesn't look healthy for the Big Unit. His arm is parallel to the ground

Turn Off Ads?