Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Y. Molina 5 yr $70M+ Deal?

Y. Molina 5 yr $70M+ Deal?

According to Ken Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Source: Molina five-year deal with #STLCards in $70M to $75M range. #MLB
    Second highest paid catcher to Mauer.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Y. Molina 5 yr $70M+ Deal?

And he's a much better catcher than Mauer, too. I can't stand the guy, but he's worth every penny of that contract.

-Matt

It will take him through his age 35 season, which is pretty old in catcher years - especially for a catcher who plays as much as he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    And he's a much better catcher than Mauer, too. I can't stand the guy, but he's worth every penny of that contract.

-Matt
    I don't know that he will perform as well without el hombre, LaRusa, and Duncan in the fold
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I just laughed out loud at this deal. Molina is a hell of a catcher. BUT ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I think that's an incredible overpay. He's a great defensive catcher, and sure, good with intangibles and in the clubhouse. But $70 million? That's insane.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

30 year old catcher, ridden hard his whole career, coming off a career year offensively with a career .707 OPS, based largely on a career best BABIP and a double FB/HR rate.

It's an insane contract, as his defense has started to regress.

Probably worse than the Pujols contract.

I like Molina, he's a great catcher, but this makes zero sense.

Zero chance this turns out good for the Cards.

Before Mike crafts his response I will admit...he HAS been a top catcher in the league. But will the Cards get 70 million worth of value from this deal?

My view on this type of deal is that it only matters if it has an effect on roster building. That is, does the contract prevent the Cards from acquiring other talent needed to help the team contend? Time will tell.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love it. As good as he is, I bet that contract ends up being an abyss for the Cards. I also love the fact St. Lou is spending the money it "saved" on not signing Pujols by giving big money to players like Carlos Beltran, Rafael Furcal and now Molina. Also, Berkman will be paid $12 million this year. That's an old team that is going to fall short of expectations. Also, losing their manager and excellent pitching coach will hurt.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    30 year old catcher, ridden hard his whole career, coming off a career year offensively with a career .707 OPS, based largely on a career best BABIP and a double FB/HR rate.

It's an insane contract, as his defense has started to regress.

Probably worse than the Pujols contract.

I like Molina, he's a great catcher, but this makes zero sense.

Zero chance this turns out good for the Cards.
    This.

The Idea that a guy is a winner is one of the things people love about sports. Both recent Cardinal world champions were teams that exceeded their statistical talent level. I think any Cardinal fan will be happy that Molina gets what he deserves and will be around for 5 more years.

It is a move that makes the fans happy (the ultimate business of baseball) and makes the players happy. In the long run, it probably will have a positive effect on the pitching staff and maybe encourage other players to sign.

It is also part of the right message the team needs to send after letting Pujols walk. I don't like the Cardinals. I hope the move backfires, but the fan in me, likes it.

Horrible deal for St. Louis.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

When you have as many aging veterans as the Cardinals, it will eventually bite them.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

There is no doubt this is an overpay. Molina is great defensively, and great handling the pitching staff. The Cardinals have absolutely nobody to take his place though. Molina is also one of the most popular players on the team. Everybody knows that Molina is getting older. The Cardinals know that if they don't resign Molina now that he will leave like Pujols did. A 5 year contract isn't nearly as restricting on the club like a 10 year contract that it would have taken to resign Pujols. So is this an overpay? Yeah... it is. Is it a necessary move? It is very necessary, because the Cardinals have nobody to replace him inside or outside of the system. Adding a catcher like Molina as a FA or in a trade would be very difficult. It's also paying a player that has done a lot for the team throughout the years.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    There is no doubt this is an overpay. Molina is great defensively, and great handling the pitching staff. The Cardinals have absolutely nobody to take his place though. Molina is also one of the most popular players on the team. Everybody knows that Molina is getting older. The Cardinals know that if they don't resign Molina now that he will leave like Pujols did. A 5 year contract isn't nearly as restricting on the club like a 10 year contract that it would have taken to resign Pujols. So is this an overpay? Yeah... it is. Is it a necessary move? It is very necessary, because the Cardinals have nobody to replace him inside or outside of the system. Adding a catcher like Molina as a FA or in a trade would be very difficult. It's also paying a player that has done a lot for the team throughout the years.

Nothing you've written can I disagree with.

But rather than pay an aging catcher $15M per season, better to get a cheap tandem like Hannigan/Hernandez like the Reds did while they wait to develop someone.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 02-28-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Turn Off Ads?