Rolen to DL; Costanzo contract purchased

Shoulder strain

2. Turn Off Ads?
    WOW!!
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Rolen to DL; Costanzo contract purchased

Wow. Hadn't heard anything about this, so I'm surprised. I watched the game last night with the volume off, and didn't listen to any postgame or pregame last night or today.

Maybe he recovers and can do a long rehab stint in Louisville to find his stroke.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Kc for the win! Well called Kc61

One possibility is to bring back Willie Harris. Willie is now at AAA. The other obvious choice is Mike Costanzo (not sure I spelled it correctly) who hits lefty and plays third. He feasts on righties as I understand.

Third baseman Scott Rolen is sitting out and will have his left shoulder evaluated before tonight’s game, Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said.

“He called me today and said it was barking,” Lessard said. ”That’s why we called Doc (Tim Kremchek) to come in and take a look at him. We took a quick look at him, and there’s nothing really specific right now. It’s kind of sore all over.”

Manager Dusty Baker said before the game that Rolen was “not feeling well” but would not go into specifics.

“He’s struggling a little bit,” Baker said. “He’s not feeling real good.”

Rolen, 37, is hitting only .174 with two homers and 11 RBI. He has had four surgeries on his left shoulder since 2005, including a procedure that ended his 2011 season last summer.

Frazier, filling in at third base, said he had not been told anything about Rolen’s condition.

“I don’t know what’s going on, if anything,” Frazier said. “I’m just happy to be playing, raring to go. If he wants me to start a couple days in a row or just one, I’ll be ready.”
    The Reds just announced that 3B Scott Rolen has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left shoulder. Infielder Mike Costanzo has been called up from Louisville.

Costanzo, 28, hit .291 with three homers and 11 RBI for Louisville in 23 games. He also played at AA Pensacola this year, with three homers and 13 RBI in 11 games. When Costanzo plays, it will be his major league debut. He is expected to be in uniform for tonight’s Reds game.
    ~Fayl

Senor Votto

Whatever happened to Chris Valakia?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Whatever happened to Chris Valakia?
    He started off on fire but then went into a nose dive. Hitting .221 with a .577 ops. Costanzo was the right choice.

No more Coldplay.

I hope they give Frazier every opportunity to prove he's an everyday player.

If he can't cut it, perhaps it's time to bring Kevin Youkilis home. This could be it for Rolen.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm calling Costanzo to help the ballclub. He'll pinch hit against righies frequently.

Now get me one more lefty hitter, an outfielder perhaps, and we'll have some balance for a change.

Chris Valaika's line in AAA: .264/.298/.366/.663
    In other words, I'm okay with giving Mike Costanzo a shot. The only other reasonable possibilities were Willie Harris and Kris Negron. I want to see what the 28-year-old rookie can do.

Costanzo will be alright as long as the clubhouse showers are not cold.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Chris Valaika's line in AAA: .264/.298/.366/.663
    In other words, I'm okay with giving Mike Costanzo a shot. The only other reasonable possibilities were Willie Harris and Kris Negron. I want to see what the 28-year-old rookie can do.
    You're talking about his career AAA line I guess?

This season it's .221/.253/.324/.577

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You're talking about his career AAA line I guess?

This season it's .221/.253/.324/.577
    Yeah, career line. This is his fourth season in Louisville, so it's not like it's a small sample size. He's just not a good hitter.

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?