Re: MLB To Announce Expanded Playoffs For 2012

Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I kind of like the extra wild card combined with a one game play-in. It gives at least 2 more teams a little more hope at the end of the season and at the same time it makes it just a bit harder to get to the Series as the wild card team. The division champs should have a distinct advantage in the playoffs against a (admittedly hot) second place team who has had one less day of rest and has burned their ace for the first game. In the 17 seasons (I won't count '94 since the playoffs & series were cancelled) since the creation of the wild card, at least one wild card team has made it to the World Series 9 times, and a wild card team has won it all 5 times. That is a TON of success for second place teams...hopefully this will temper that trend. Either way, I think it's worth a try.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I understand WHY they did this, but I'll be honest, I don't care for it. Heck, I don't care for the wild card at all. I feel that if you can't win your division, you shouldn't advance further. I'd be in favor of going back to the 2 division format, one 5 or 7 game pennant series and then a 7 game world series. Extending the playoffs until later in the season is just bad business too due to the conflicts with other sports.

I always thought that the extremely long baseball season was to ensure that the inferior teams get weeded out. To make sure the cream rises to the top. So now, after all of that, we dig down and let some of the crud play for the WS too? No thanks. If baseball wants to have an NBA type of playoffs, fine...then cut the season length in half because it's not needed. If teams want their towns to have a shot at the WS too, then they have 162 games to work at it.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 03-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I understand WHY they did this, but I'll be honest, I don't care for it. Heck, I don't care for the wild card at all. I feel that if you can't win your division, you shouldn't advance further. I'd be in favor of going back to the 2 division format, one 5 or 7 game pennant series and then a 7 game world series. Extending the playoffs until later in the season is just bad business too due to the conflicts with other sports.

I always thought that the extremely long baseball season was to ensure that the inferior teams get weeded out. To make sure the cream rises to the top. So now, after all of that, we dig down and let some of the crud play for the WS too? No thanks. If baseball wants to have an NBA type of playoffs, fine...then cut the season length in half because it's not needed. If teams want their towns to have a shot at the WS too, then they have 162 games to work at it.
    Exactly. Exactly. Exactly. Amen brother.

Expand by two teams, eight 4 team divisions, no freaking wild cards, if you can't win a 4 team division, stay home.
    Go Gators!

MLB has announced at least for this year the divisional series will shift to a 2-3 format where the team with the home field advantage will actually start on the road for 2 games and then be home for potentially the next 3 games.

They are doing this to reduce travel days but it could really cause a disadvantage for the better teams who now have to start the playoffs on the road for 2 games. Also with the new one game playoffs a team would not even know where they have to travel to until after those one game playoffs. So the teams with the best record will be traveling the day before the playoffs and start the playoffs on the road.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/79...ivision-series

Also one other change announced is a few of the divisional playoff games will shift from TBS to MLB Network
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 05-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    As if having 2nd place teams winning the World Series wasn't bad enough. Might as well open the doors to 3rd place teams as well.

Why play 162 games to determine the best teams if you are going to allow teams into the playoffs that have already proven they are not the best?

Winning the World Series used to mean that your team had a great season and earned a hallowed place in history. Now it often means that your team proved they weren't all that good in the regular season but snuck into the post-season anyway, caught a few breaks and had a little hot streak at the right time. Teams that can't even win their own little division do not deserve a chance to earn a spot in history. It cheapens the World Series championship and dilutes the accomplishments of the great teams of yesteryear to now be lumped in with some of the mediocre World Series winners of recent years. 2nd place = not good enough, or at least it used to.

How far will Bud Selig go? Won't be long until MLB sinks to the level of the NFL, NBA and NHL where the regular season is almost meaningless and only the playoffs matter.

Making the postseason used to be an exhilarating experience for the fans because it meant your team was thisclose to winning a World Series, but now it doesn't really mean much since 1/3 of all teams make it. Then you still have to win a big tournament before you can claim the championship. It is kind of like youth athletics nowadays where everybody gets a trophy even if you stink.
    Totally agree. Why play the season. Just take the six best teams on paper in the league and have a playoff in October? that's a loittle extreme, but the love of money tends to control these decisions. It's like NASCAR where of the 12 in the final playoffs called The Chase, only 4 or them proved worthy. Last year you had a guy in 7th win the battle on a tie breaker while a season of excellence meant nothing. I'm against any expansion of the playoffs. Ever.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

Agreed. To show what a dinosaur I am, I liked it when the winner of the National League played the winner of the American League in the World Series. Last year, we had a wild card win the World Series and a lesser team (my team) win the Super Bowl and I still didn't like it. Call me T Rex.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    MLB has announced at least for this year the divisional series will shift to a 2-3 format where the team with the home field advantage will actually start on the road for 2 games and then be home for potentially the next 3 games.

They are doing this to reduce travel days but it could really cause a disadvantage for the better teams who now have to start the playoffs on the road for 2 games. Also with the new one game playoffs a team would not even know where they have to travel to until after those one game playoffs. So the teams with the best record will be traveling the day before the playoffs and start the playoffs on the road.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/79...ivision-series

Also one other change announced is a few of the divisional playoff games will shift from TBS to MLB Network
    So if a good team sweeps they lose a home game of revenue.
    Go Gators!

No I don't. Because neither one of those teams deserved to be in the playoffs last year. Both of them got smacked around in their own divisions and finished in second place by wide margins.

Do we really want to determine who gets a chance to win the World Series based on TV ratings?

Seems to me the goal should be to reward the best team with a championship, not create a system that makes it less likely that the best team wins the championship. How often in the era of expanded playoffs has the best team in baseball won the World Series? Not very often.

It used to be that the World Series winner had a very strong claim to being the best team in baseball that year. Nowadays that is simply not the case. For example, the Cardinals last year were nowhere close to the best team in baseball, and not coincidentally we saw one of the worst-played World Series in history as a result. That mediocre Cardinals team earned the same accolade as the great 1975-76 Big Red Machine. It cheapens the honor earned by great champions of the past to be lumped in the same category as the 2nd-place champions of the wild card era.
    Automic, if you are true to your logic, I will call hypocrisy on your part if you come into the ORG celebrating a Reds WC play in game win this year. This stance you have on this topic is certainly mind boggling considering that you root for a mid-market team and often the team with the biggest payroll in the past often became "the best team in baseball". With the archaic system of old, teams like the Rays would have no shot at making the playoffs in the salary rich rosters of the AL East. It's also shocking that you would call a team mediocre that not only beat the best team in baseball during the regular season but beat by far and away the best team in the AL to win the championship.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Automic, if you are true to your logic, I will call hypocrisy on your part if you come into the ORG celebrating a Reds WC play in game win this year. This stance you have on this topic is certainly mind boggling considering that you root for a mid-market team and often the team with the biggest payroll in the past often became "the best team in baseball". With the archaic system of old, teams like the Rays would have no shot at making the playoffs in the salary rich rosters of the AL East. It's also shocking that you would call a team mediocre that not only beat the best team in baseball during the regular season but beat by far and away the best team in the AL to win the championship.
    It is easy to beat a superior team in a short playoff series. That is exactly the point I was making.

Celebrating a championship and claiming to be the best team are two different things. You can be proud of being a 2nd-place "champion" if you like. Just don't try to claim your achievement is the same as championships of the last century. Some people can realize that winning a playoff series doesn't prove anything -- especially if you have already proven yourself to be a mediocre team during the regular season.

Secondly, if you read all my posts I clearly state that real parity involves balancing the financial landscape as all other major sports leagues have done. Introducing random luck into the post-season makes it easy for mediocre teams to win the championship, but it does not create real parity. The Reds and Cardinals have won plenty of championships despite being at a disadvantage financially.

My stance has nothing to do with the Cardinals or the Reds. It is the integrity of baseball and the World Series that I am considered about. 2nd-place "champions" are anathema to a lot of people. It never happened for a century until Bud Selig came along.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 05-18-2012 at 01:01 AM.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but if it's so "easy" to beat a superior team in a short playoff series, why did the Reds get swept by the Phillies the last time they made the playoffs? It isn't easy to defeat the best teams in baseball regardless if it's a short series or a series where they just add two additional games. To say it is, is boarderline silly.

Secondly, the old the winner of the World Series had to only win a total of 4 games to get the title. In what world is that more difficult than the current system where teams have to win a total of 11 games to win it all?

On the mediocre comment. You can have this old, curmudgeony attitude of calling a World Series winner "mediocre" but all I'm going to say about that is scoreboard. Maybe I'm just a bit offended when you call a team who won a championship mediocre. The long playoff series generally weeds out the teams that are the best. The 2011 Cardinals were a good example of this. Yes, they had an average season (mostly due to a horrible June). A huge part of that was due to injuries and they didn't really have their full team on the field until really the last two months of the season. Regardless of injury, they had by far and away the best offense in the NL last year. It wasn't even close except for maybe the runs scored department. When they revamped the bullpen, added a legit starter, and got their injured players back; it's hard to say that they were a mediocre team. They stacked up pretty much with anyone in baseball and they proved it.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    The division champs should have a distinct advantage in the playoffs against a (admittedly hot) second place team who has had one less day of rest and has burned their ace for the first game.
    Don't assume the "ace" has pitched the one game wild card playoff. The wild card teams will likely be fighting for a playoff spot right down to the wire and it's doubtful they will be able to set their rotation in any kind of order.

Unless you are clearly a diviison winner for some time, and can set up your rotation in advance, the wild cards teams' rotation will be whatever it happens to be at end of the season.

And the wild card tream has no more chance of being "hot" as the division winner. Perhaps the wild card team has fallen from being a division winner into the wild card spot and is cold?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Don't assume the "ace" has pitched the one game wild card playoff. The wild card teams will likely be fighting for a playoff spot right down to the wire and it's doubtful they will be able to set their rotation in any kind of order.

Unless you are clearly a diviison winner for some time, and can set up your rotation in advance, the wild cards teams' rotation will be whatever it happens to be at end of the season.

And the wild card tream has no more chance of being "hot" as the division winner. Perhaps the wild card team has fallen from being a division winner into the wild card spot and is cold?
    The problem I have with the 1 game playoff is in most years it won't come down to the last week of the season. Bud saw last year's game 162 and said lets recreate that year in year out. But it won't happen like it did last year. I would be willing to be in most years the two wild card teams are going to be able to set their rotation to the best of their ability.

If your the Reds and you had a one game lead for the 4th spot, would you start Cueto/Latos on short rest or go with Bailey and save your ace for the playoff game on the road?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If your the Reds and you had a one game lead for the 4th spot, would you start Cueto/Latos on short rest or go with Bailey and save your ace for the playoff game on the road?

Or would you start your ace on normal rest to ensure you make the playoffs or save him in case you do? Why do you assume that it's Bailey's turn when the last game comes up? Maybe it's Cueto's turn? If you are fighting for a playoff spot, you are pitching your guys in their normal rotation.

In 1999 the Reds went with Harnisch when they needed a win to make the one game playoff. It was then Paris turn and he pitched the playoff game.

Teams will do everything they can to make the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?