Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 hitter

#4 hitter

Reds look good at pitching and defense. I'm concerned about our run production. I see our #4 hitter being the key. Who will be #4 behind Votto? We need someone who will protect Votto and drive in runs.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: #4 hitter

Rolen, if he's healthy.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

The four hole will see a few different faces, depending on match ups. I could see Rolen, Bruce, Ludwick, and Heisey all getting at bats there.

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about the line-up. That should be the least of everyone's worries.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

rolen is lucky to be a number 14 hitter, he has been pure anemia since the second half of 2010

That spot belongs to Bruce. Not sure who else would beat him out for that. He's our biggest hitter aside from Votto. Then Rolen can bat behind him at 5.

You've got to think Bruce if he can be a little more consistent. I mean he did have 32 hrs and 97 rbi last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman007 View Post
    You've got to think Bruce if he can be a little more consistent. I mean he did have 32 hrs and 97 rbi last year.
    Yep....Rolen and Ludwick are utterly out of the question. I would put Lud @ 5. Rolen will be on the DL most of the time anyway.

Anyone but Bruce would be insanity.

I'd actually like to see Votto hit 4 and Bruce 3. Votto would provide more protection for Bruce than vice-versa and Votto can handle breaking pitches etc.. better than Bruce. I know it defies baseball logic but I think both guy's would be super productive in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I'd actually like to see Votto hit 4 and Bruce 3. Votto would provide more protection for Bruce than vice-versa and Votto can handle breaking pitches etc.. better than Bruce. I know it defies baseball logic but I think both guy's would be super productive in that scenario.
    That's acually a dam good idea. But it won't happen. Dusty is too old to learn a new trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Yep....Rolen and Ludwick are utterly out of the question. I would put Lud @ 5. Rolen will be on the DL most of the time anyway.

Anyone but Bruce would be insanity.
    It depends on the match up, Bruce against LH starters last year: .218/.327/.444 with a .771 OPS in 156 PA.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I honestly love the idea of Bruce in front of Votto, but maybe in the 2-3 spots and then Rolen in the four. Also I hope Ludwick is batting 10th; I want Chris in LF.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I like the idea of Phillips - Cozart - Votto - Bruce. Bruce works really well as a clean-up hitter especially if you buy into the idea that he can find some consistency to his hitting and have a 'break-out' year this year. He is coming into his prime after all.

But it's something worth thinking about platooning even...Stubbs mashes lefties so we could run Stubbs in the 4 spot against lefties and Bruce in the 4 spot against righties.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I honestly love the idea of Bruce in front of Votto, but maybe in the 2-3 spots and then Rolen in the four. Also I hope Ludwick is batting 10th; I want Chris in LF.
    That would be an amazing top 3 with Phillips - Bruce - Votto but we could get into trouble when you get Rolen - Heisey/Luddy - Stubbs - Cozart - catcher. Believe me, I think they all have potential to have good years (except Rolen) but there are some definite question marks in there as well.If our young guys, Cozart & Mez struggle at the plate this year, that lineup would be big trouble sans the top 3.
    Last edited by jhu1321; 03-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    This. Don't drop Votto down in the lineup where he will get less at-bats over the course of a season.

Turn Off Ads?