Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Greatest moments in Reds history

Re: Greatest moments in Reds history

Pokey Reese's extra inning homer to cap off an unlikely comeback on a hot September Sunday in 1999. McGwire also hit his 60th for the second straight year that day, only to be upstaged by the diminuative middle infielder.

Not an overly important historical event, but undeniably an emotional one, much like the entire season.

I felt like they were a team of destiny that day. Little did I know that destiny was heartbreak.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    art shamsky's four consecutive home runs
    In one of those weird kid things, Art was my favorite Red as a young teen. I had Rose, Maloney, Robby, Post, Cardenas to root for - nope - it was a role playing outfielder who was my favorite. Those homers were part of the reason. I was sure Shamsky could hit 50 homers if Heffner would just play him everyday!
    Broke my heart when they traded him for lowly Bob Johnson...boy do I still dislike Bob frickin' Johnson...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Eric Davis stealing home runs from Jack Clark on back to back nights in 1987.

Eric Davis hitting a home run off Dave Stewart to open the scoring in the 1990 World Series.

Eric Davis hitting three grand slams in one month in 1987.

Eric Davis gunning down Bobby Bonilla in the 1990 NLCS.
    My all-time favorite Reds defensive play (second favorite baseball play after Bo Jackson throwing out Harold Reynolds), and arguably the best defensive play in Reds history. So amazing because of the skill and athleticism involved, and yet so basic because he was actually backing up the play.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Biggest moments I've witnessed in person:

1. Rose hit #4192
    2. Johnny Bench HR on Johnny Bench day 1983
    3. Joey Votto walk-off HR on the 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Cobb's record
    4. Barry Larkin hits 2 HR (and then goes on to hit 3HR the next game, which I didn't see in person, and which tied a ML record for HR in 2 days)
    5. Dave Parker throws out runner at the plate, then leads off the next inning with a HR (wish I could even remember the year for this one...1984 probably)
    6. Jeff Reed grand slam 1991 (because I was sitting with friends and called the unlikely HR)
    7. Reds rout Tom Glavine in Atlanta 16-0 (this was the same day as OJ Simpson's slow speed chase)
    8. Reds rout John Smoltz in Atlanta the following day 12-4

Honorable mention:
    Had the opportunity to attend Tom Browning's perfect game, but it was raining and I had to work so I passed
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 02-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Biggest moments I've witnessed in person:

1. Rose hit #4192
    2. Johnny Bench HR on Johnny Bench day 1983
    3. Joey Votto walk-off HR on the 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Cobb's record
    4. Barry Larkin hits 2 HR (and then goes on to hit 3HR the next game, which I didn't see in person, and which tied a ML record for HR in 2 days)
    5. Dave Parker throws out runner at the plate, then leads off the next inning with a HR (wish I could even remember the year for this one...1984 probably)
    6. Jeff Reed grand slam 1991 (because I was sitting with friends and called the unlikely HR)
    7. Reds rout Tom Glavine in Atlanta 16-0 (this was the same day as OJ Simpson's slow speed chase)
    8. Reds rout John Smoltz in Atlanta the following day 12-4

Honorable mention:
    Had the opportunity to attend Tom Browning's perfect game, but it was raining and I had to work so I passed
    I was supposed to be there too, but my appendix burst on the way to Cincinnati.

Might as well pin this. I'll be going to it a lot this year while drinking.

Great thread. The Reds have quite a few historical moments like the 1869 undefeated team and the first night baseball game with lights.

From my life
    Pete Rose breaking the record and Eric Davis HR in game 1 of 1990 WS

Turn Off Ads?