Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest moments in Reds history

Re: Greatest moments in Reds history

One of the greatest moments I've experienced as a Reds fan.
    Easily my favorite, considering I've only been watching since '08.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

The plays that stand out for me:

Davis throwing out Bonilla in the NLCS.
    Braggs catch at the wall in game 6 of that same series.
    The Oliver hit to score Bates in the World Series, I knew it was over then.

I was 12 then, and all of those are still etched in my brain. I may be senile in 40 years, but I will still remember those.

As far as things I saw in person:

Votto's walkoff against Pittsburgh on Pete Rose 4192 Night. 9-11-10. I knew we were going to wind up winning the division after that game. I was pretty confident before, but that's when I knew.
    https://secure.mlb.com/media/video.j...nt_id=11977613

Thank you everyone - now that I am retired and have all this free time I am back to my first love - oil painting, and I'm using this as a first research point into emotional moments for Reds fans to research photo images and such for Reds painting series. Hopefully some of those old skills come back quickly! I can't imagine anything more enjoyable to paint other than family memories and hey! Lots of those have the Reds in them too!

McRae scores the winning run of the NLCS on a Bob Moose wild pitch.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    McRae scores the winning run of the NLCS on a Bob Moose wild pitch.
    I'm pretty sure that it was George Foster on third base who scored the winning run. McRae was at the plate batting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it was George Foster on third base who scored the winning run. McRae was at the plate batting.
    You are correct (as usual).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I would like to expand this to 50 and call it the most memorable/remarkable/greatest events in Reds History:

So I'll add
    Roy Halladay No Hitter in 2010 NLDS
    Carlton Fisk HR in game 6 of the 1975 WS
    Tony Perez 1967 All Star Game 15th Inning HR off Catfish Hunter to give the NL the lead
    Pete Rose banned from baseball
    The Trade of Frank Robinson
    The Trade for Joe Morgan
    Being the unknowing benfactor of the 1919 Black Sox scandal
    Being the first "pro" baseball team 1882
    Barry Larkin the first 30/30 SS in the history of MLB
    Joey Votto 2010 MVP
    Reds win 6 MVPs in the 70's (including 3 in a row and Joe Morgan b2b)
    Reds win 3 MVPs in a row (38-40)
    Barry Larkin MVP 1995
    Frank Robinson MVP 1961

Just killing some time before Spring Training. You guys got any more?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

reds end game against cardinals with triple play to win 1-0 (1967)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Being the first "pro" baseball team 1882
    1869, not 1882.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Thank you everyone - now that I am retired and have all this free time I am back to my first love - oil painting, and I'm using this as a first research point into emotional moments for Reds fans to research photo images and such for Reds painting series. Hopefully some of those old skills come back quickly! I can't imagine anything more enjoyable to paint other than family memories and hey! Lots of those have the Reds in them too!
    Please share photos of your Reds paintings with your virtual pals here at the ORG when you're finished. Would love to see them.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Eric Davis' home run off of Dave Stewart in game one of the 1990 World Series.

The home run by Tony Perez off of Bill Lee in game 7 of the 75 World Series.

13. Likes:

powersackers (02-06-2014)

I'll add a few...

No-hitters two years in a row for Homer

Wire to wire in '90

Every time he says, "If you're ready now, the starting lineups..."

Every time he said, "Rounding third and heading for home"

Reuniting the great 8 for the first time on the field

Todd Frazier hitting a homerun on request from Teddy

I have to highlight again the Davis home run off Dave Stewart. Made everyone believe (including me) that the Reds could actually knock off the powerful A's in that series. Also makes me believe this Reds team can win it too with pitching, defense and timely hitting.

15. Likes:

powersackers (02-05-2014)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Reds fans of a certain age remember Hal King fondly, and others are like who?....

On July 1, 1973, playing for the Cincinnati Reds, King hit one of the most famous home runs in Reds’ history. Entering the first game of a doubleheader at Riverfront Stadium, the Reds trailed their National League West rivals the Los Angeles Dodgers by a whopping 11 games. King, who just two weeks earlier had been called up from the minors, came to the plate as a pinch-hitter for fellow catcher Bill Plummer with the Dodgers and pitcher Don Sutton one out away from a win. With Tony Perez and Darrel Chaney (pinch-running for Johnny Bench) on base, King slugged a three-run homer for a 4-3 Reds' win. The Reds followed that up with a 3-2 win in the second game on a 10th-inning single by Perez that scored Joe Morgan, and the next night the Reds won yet another thriller over the Dodgers, 4-2, on a Perez walk-off homer.
    Starting with the win on King's homer, the Reds went on to a 60–26 record the rest of the way to win the division championship.
    Hal's lifetime numbers: .214 24 HR 82 RBI

Hal King had a total of 60 AB as a Cincinnati Red.

Sparky apparently deployed 3 catchers in 1973. Dusty was just following a trend?

PS- as a wee lad of 12, I was with my parents and siblings at a drive in movie (!) that night, and me and dad listened to both the games (on a transistor radio) and the movies (on the speaker hooked to the window). Early 70's technology at its finest! I clearly remember the King HR, soon after we arrived, while it was still light out
    Last edited by Always Red; 02-04-2014 at 09:02 PM.

17. Likes:

powersackers (02-05-2014)

On November 29, 1971, Bob Howsam traded for Joe Morgan, César Gerónimo, Ed Armbrister and Jack Billingham from the Houston Astros in exchange for Tommy Helms, Lee May and Jimmy Stewart. At the time I heard about the trade, I was totally bummed. It turned out to be the birth of the Big Red Machine.

Along with his other moves, this trade should put Bob Howsam into the HOF.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

19. Likes:

George Anderson (02-05-2014)

I am not sure how 'great' this play was but it was certainly one of the most memorable: Pete Rose slamming into Ray Fosse during the ASG in, I believe, 1970.

21. Likes:

powersackers (02-05-2014),Roy Tucker (02-05-2014)

Turn Off Ads?