Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cozart Batting 2nd

Cozart Batting 2nd

This might be worth its own thread. He is there tomorrow and there is a good chance dusty sees that as a good spot for him when the games count.

Me? Absolutely fine with it.

What say others?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cozart Batting 2nd

I don't think he's a great fit for the #2, but I don't know that this team has better options that Dusty would consider. We have too many high SLG, low OBP guys for my taste, but he makes more contact than Stubbs or Heisey. I would have loved to have Sappelt in LF for just this reason.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like Rolen in the 2 hole because I think despite his injuries he has better pitch recognition skills than Cozart and he will have a better OBP than Cozart in 2012.

I don't see much from Cozart this year. I expect a .260/.305/.395 line from him this year, which I don't think works well enough for a #2 hitter on a playoff team.

For reference, I expect a .270/.350/.450 from Rolen, albeit in less PAs.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Cozart should likely bat 8th, maybe 7th depending on how he and the catchers hit.

He needs to hit his way to 2nd, or likely show some ability to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Cozart should likely bat 8th, maybe 7th depending on how he and the catchers hit.

He needs to hit his way to 2nd, or likely show some ability to walk.
    Who would you hit 2nd instead?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't think he's a great fit for the #2, but I don't know that this team has better options that Dusty would consider. We have too many high SLG, low OBP guys for my taste, but he makes more contact than Stubbs or Heisey. I would have loved to have Sappelt in LF for just this reason.
    I agree with the entirety of this post. Hanigan would have been a fine choice, but there's NO chance that happens. Ditto Rolen (though he Ks a bit much for the spot).

As long as Baker puts the right bats in the lineup most of the time, there's not much difference is scoring runs. One win, IIRC, at worst, assuming he's choosing the right bats. The only questions is LF, and, at this point, it looks like Heisey and Ludwick are going to semi-platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Who would you hit 2nd instead?
    Rolen is the best option I see. Could see .280/.350/.400. Good bat control, hope Dusty doesn't miscast him in the clean up spot.

The problem with Rolen is health-- and the fact that Francisco will be his back-up.

I like Rolen 2nd. Not a burner but an excellent baserunner.

Duh people SS hits second.

In fairness to Dusty, I agree here. There just isnt another good option. This team could use a high OBP top of the order hitter. They just aren't here right now.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The problem with Rolen is health-- and the fact that Francisco will be his back-up.
    I agree. Rolen's health is a big wildcard for the Reds this year. I have no problem with Cozart hitting two when Rolen is out, but when Rolen is playing and healthy, I think the Reds should maximize his PAs and put him higher up in the lineup.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I hadn't thought of Rolen there before, but I like it. On a Sundeck thread I advocated for Hanigan, but I'm now thinking the best hitter not named Bruce or Votto should have that spot. Or even maybe Ludwick? He'd see a ton of pitches to drive.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I didn't get to see Cozart in his brief stint in the majors last season. However, while it was multiple seasons ago and in low-A, the first time I saw Cozart at Dayton I came away extremely impressed with his approach. The early book on him that I often saw was that he was a good glove, light bat kind of hitter, so I wasn't expecting much at the plate. He showed a great handle of the ball, hitting balls to the right to move a runner over, going the opposite way for a single, and pulling a ball into the gap for a double (plus a strike out) If he's carried those kind of abilities thru the minors and up into the majors, I think he'd make a very solid 2 hole hitter.

I have no statistics to back this up.. just a gut feeling.
    I would rather have Stubbs hitting 2nd than Cozart. I think overall he will be more productive offensively. I see Cozart as a #8 hitter.

Ludwick is probably the best choice based on the options they have.
    I guess I don't see the point of putting a relative weak hitter (like Cozart) between Phillips and Votto. If we don't have an ideal #2 hitter, why not just essentially shift a "middle of the order" guy like Ludwick or Rolen up.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Stubbs, Votto, Phillips. All 3 have scored 90+ runs two years in a row-I think all 3 should be in the top 3rd of the lineup. Cozart shouldn't have the 2nd spot handed to him.

Turn Off Ads?