Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marysville, Indiana Tornado 'Completely' Destroys Town

Marysville, Indiana Tornado 'Completely' Destroys Town

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...usaolp00000003

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Tornadoes have left widespread damage in southern Indiana and a sheriff's official says at least one town of about 1,900 people is "completely gone."

National Weather Service coordinator Bill Whitlock there's "extreme damage" in the area of Henryville, a town of about 3,000 people just north of the Kentucky border. Destruction can be seen for miles and a school district spokeswoman says heavy damage has been reported at Henryville High school.

Clark County Sheriff's Department Maj. Chuck Adams says the nearby town of Marysville is "completely gone."

Indiana Department of Homeland Security spokesman John Erickson says there are injuries but no immediate reports of fatalities.

Officials say they've had difficulty confirming reports due to downed power and telephone lines.

Anybody know anybody on the board from there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marysville, Indiana Tornado 'Completely' Destroys Town

Moscow, Ohio, east of Cincinnati was also devastated by a separate twister.

I live in NKY, we got hit really hard. Downed trees, roof damage, and our walls cracked. Luckily we all stayed safe and I get to crash with family till everything gets fixed.

What a horrible day for our area.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I live in NKY, we got hit really hard. Downed trees, roof damage, and our walls cracked. Luckily we all stayed safe and I get to crash with family till everything gets fixed.

What a horrible day for our area.
    That's terrible. But, the only thing that truly matters is you and your family is safe.

Any chance we could get the thread title changed? There's been a lot more casualties, especially in Kentucky:

West Liberty:

Henryville:

Last edited by WVRed; 03-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

My brother drives one of our trucks and he lives in West Liberty. I booked him a load to get him close to home for the weekend and about 4 hours ago we saw on the news that West Liberty was hit hard by tornadoes. We can't reach anyone in town by phone but we reached my brother's brother in law who lives about 25 miles away. He drove over to the town to check on my brother's wife and daughter and could only get within a couple miles of the town. He walked the rest of the way into town and found their house completely gone and no sign of anyone. The Red Cross is setting up shelters and last we heard he was going there to see if they're safe. We don't know anything yet.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    My brother drives one of our trucks and he lives in West Liberty. I booked him a load to get him close to home for the weekend and about 4 hours ago we saw on the news that West Liberty was hit hard by tornadoes. We can't reach anyone in town by phone but we reached my brother's brother in law who lives about 25 miles away. He drove over to the town to check on my brother's wife and daughter and could only get within a couple miles of the town. He walked the rest of the way into town and found their house completely gone and no sign of anyone. The Red Cross is setting up shelters and last we heard he was going there to see if they're safe. We don't know anything yet.
    That's just terrible. I don't know what to say.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Everyone is ok. House and all belongings are gone, but they're unharmed. They had to be dug out of the rubble by National Guard troops.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Prayers for you and everyone at all the towns that were so brutally struck. Charleston my parents said they heard the tornado sirens and got into the basement of my sister's house. It seemed to be a false alarm I was up on the hill at the y and it was coming down in sheets for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A friend of mine had a tornado come through his neighborhood today in Kentucky. His house was only slightly damaged, but they are able to stay in it tonight. Several houses in the neighborhood are completely gone while numerous others are missing upper levels, one side, a roof and a condo complex had a building ripped through that only has the top floor left and some interior walls. My friend and his family is safe, thankfully. But looking at the pictures he uploaded on FB, it is just sad to see. Fortunately, this area knew bad storms were coming for a day now, and hopefully that was able to prevent what could have been much worse with less time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A friend of mine had a tornado come through his neighborhood today in Kentucky. His house was only slightly damaged, but they are able to stay in it tonight. Several houses in the neighborhood are completely gone while numerous others are missing upper levels, one side, a roof and a condo complex had a building ripped through that only has the top floor left and some interior walls. My friend and his family is safe, thankfully. But looking at the pictures he uploaded on FB, it is just sad to see. Fortunately, this area knew bad storms were coming for a day now, and hopefully that was able to prevent what could have been much worse with less time.

I'm glad your relatives were found safe OdRightHander. My prayers to you, and to the entire region devastated by these storms.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Glad to hear your relatives are safe, ORH. This was one of the craziest outbreaks I've seen and it really reminded me of my time in Tornado Alley. Just very tragic and words can't express how sorry I am for the victims.

The tornado that hit Henryville, Indiana was about 10 miles from my house. It completely decimated the town, including the high school. I went by there today to help and everything is destroyed.

My friend's wife had her kids in the basement in their three story house when the tornado hit. His wife was on top of the kids when the house collapsed on top of her. She ended up saving her kids (they didn't have a scratch on them) but had her legs crushed. One leg was amputated from the knee down, and the other was amputated from the ankle down. She is going to make it, though. It's a miracle that any of them are still alive.

The whole thing is just awful. Can't even describe it, really.
    Last edited by Playadlc; 03-05-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    The tornado that hit Henryville, Indiana was about 10 miles from my house. It completely decimated the town, including the high school. I went by there today to help and everything is destroyed.

My friend's wife had her kids in the basement in their three story house when the tornado hit. His wife was on top of the kids when the house collapsed on top of her. She ended up saving her kids (they didn't have a scratch on them) but had her legs crushed. One leg was amputated from the knee down, and the other was amputated from the ankle down. She is going to make it, though. It's a miracle that any of them are still alive.

The whole thing is just awful. Can't even describe it, really.
    That's terrible.

Here in Florida we complain about the hurricanes, but they're nothing compared to those tornadoes. We always have plenty of time to plan and evacuate if necessary.

Another thing, I always associated Tornadoes with Kansas and Oklahoma. Is the tornado "hot spot" (if there is such a thing), creeping north? (global warming?). Because lately its all Missouri and Indiana.
    Last edited by oneupper; 03-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?