Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

Just installed it on my wife's computer. (I couldn't do it on mine...fear it would crash it) Anyway it is really odd on a notebook without touchscreen. I'm not sure I see the benefit yet.

The apps that I have tried are great but navigating with a mouse on a lot of them is just a real pain. I did a dual boot so that Windows 7 is still there so I'm sure she will want to go back. An informal poll...My wife hates it...My 17 year old son hates it. I'm not sure yet. Microsoft had better hope the rest of the world doesn't respond like my home has.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Windows 8

A crappy Microsoft product?

No. Way.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The reviews I've seen for Windows 8 are either hate or love it, no in-between.

Currently I'm having a similar hate/love situation with the ipad. My wife loves it, I hate it (I've used macs for over 20 years).

Theres a lot of QWERTY in the way we've used computers, I don't like touching a screen and I need to have a directory to find stuff when I need it (newer OSs tend to hide everything). Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I still have a wallet with which to express my opinion.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The reviews I've seen for Windows 8 are either hate or love it, no in-between.

Currently I'm having a similar hate/love situation with the ipad. My wife loves it, I hate it (I've used macs for over 20 years).

Theres a lot of QWERTY in the way we've used computers, I don't like touching a screen and I need to have a directory to find stuff when I need it (newer OSs tend to hide everything). Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I still have a wallet with which to express my opinion.
    I am the opposite, since getting my iPad several months ago, I have only turned my laptop on a grand total of 3 times.

I'm a dinosaur. I hate GUIs. Give me a good command line interface and I'll tell the OS exactly what I need, not what some weenie GUI punk coder thinks I need and hides everything from me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I hardly touch my laptop since I got an iPad. I got a bluetooth keyboard for when I need to do any great amount of typing. It's amazing the amount of apps that are useful for my business and with the got to my pc app I can access my desktop from anywhere. I also have gone almost completely paperless with the ability to sign documents on the screen and send them back without having to print anything.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

It's honestly like two operating systems in 1. Windows 7 looks like its still there until you hit a button to bring up the start menu (by the way the start button is gone), then the tiles come up and you feel like you are using a completely different system. Good luck finding the shut down or restart button. It's there but hidden. It's really odd.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

As a software developer who primarily works in the windows environment from what I've read it looks like an absolute disaster . Hopefully it goes the way of Vista, I'm pretty happy with Windows 7.
    School's out. What did you expect?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Seems like Microsoft OS releases always alternate between good and bad.

Window 7 has been very smooth for me. I'm not changing anytime soon. Speaking of Vista, anyone who bought a computer with that garbage installed should have gotten a free update to 7.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Window 7 has been very smooth for me. I'm not changing anytime soon. Speaking of Vista, anyone who bought a computer with that garbage installed should have gotten a free update to 7.
    I had bought a laptop in ~2007 with Vista pre-installed. I don't know if it was pride or what, but I insisted that Vista was a decent OS. Bought a tower desktop with Windows 7 in 2010, and the comparison is not even close.

Although to be fair, there is some speculation that Vista would have been much better had people had stronger machines than what was average at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I had bought a laptop in ~2007 with Vista pre-installed. I don't know if it was pride or what, but I insisted that Vista was a decent OS. Bought a tower desktop with Windows 7 in 2010, and the comparison is not even close.

Although to be fair, there is some speculation that Vista would have been much better had people had stronger machines than what was average at the time.
    I still have one that I let my 4 and 5 year old use. I feel awful, just about that.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    As a software developer who primarily works in the windows environment from what I've read it looks like an absolute disaster . Hopefully it goes the way of Vista, I'm pretty happy with Windows 7.
    I was at a conference in December that was Microsoft-centric, and even there, everyone was saying, "not sure about this...". I kind of get what they're doing, trying to come up with a version of Windows that operates smoothly across all platforms (read: mobile and tablets) instead of being so desktop-focused, I just don't know if it's going to work. I especially don't see the enterprise types dumping Windows 7 to move to it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Mark my words: Windows 8 will dominate tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Vista was a fine operating system, it's just that the early release didn't have the right drivers for people's legacy hardware, and this created a whole host of problems right of the bat, which is why it got a bad name. Windows 7 is just Vista with all the right drivers (and a couple UI tweaks to make it seem "new").

Turn Off Ads?