Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 3/3

Birthdays: 3/3

Reds:

Bill "Skeeter" Barnes (55) -University of Cincinnati product; his big league career never got a lot of traction but he was a terrific minor league player and has remained in the game as a coach.

Bobby Locke (78) -Pitched for the Reds in 1965. In 1959, in his major league pitching debut, he surrendered five runs, but partially atoned for it by hitting a three-run homer. He never hit another in his career.

Others:

Scott Radinsky (44) -Lefty reliever who will be the Indians pitching coach in 2012. In his other life he owns a skateboard museum and sings lead for the punk rock band Pulley. They're fairly well-known, I guess; they've opened for Green Day.

Paul Schaal (69) -Royals 3B before George Brett. His career was never the same after a serious beaning incident. How many players have names that rhyme with each other? I bet there's a few; right off the top of my head all I can think of is one announcer...

Willie Keeler -The rule that a foul bunt with two strikes was strike three was adopted in reaction to Keeler, who'd bunt numerous pitches foul waiting for one he liked.

John Montgomery Ward -Key figure in the early development of the game. According to Bill James, his career pitching stats are similar to Addie Joss, and his career hitting stats are similar to Maury Wills. That's a pretty good combo. Also a successful lawyer and an elite golfer. There was a biography of him published a few years ago, called A Clever Base Baller; I haven't read it yet but I keep meaning to.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 3/3

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Paul Schaal (69) -Royals 3B before George Brett. His career was never the same after a serious beaning incident. How many players have names that rhyme with each other? I bet there's a few; right off the top of my head all I can think of is one announcer...
    Nice little brain teaser! I'll add Ed Head, Brooklyn righty pitcher from the WW2 years. I have a feeling I can add to this list later. Can anyone else help out? (Good one, chico.)
    Last edited by Bob Borkowski; 03-04-2013 at 12:36 AM.

I can think of Larry Sherry and Mark Clark...maybe more later.

Good ones.

I'd suggest Harry Caray as our designated broadcaster.

Gene Green was an outfielder in the late 50s and early 60s for several teams, one of which was the Reds.

PeeWee Reese doesn't really qualify, I guess, but I'd give him an 'Honorable Mention'.

Joe Charboneau, kinda.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

chico, come home. Bring the 'more later' with you.

I am finding this little exercise much, MUCH more difficult than I expected.

Let's add Bill Hill. He was a lefty pitcher from 1896 thru 1899 for several teams, including the Reds.

NM
    Last edited by mth123; 03-05-2013 at 03:03 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I thought I came up with a couple when I named Paul Schaal and Ed Head, then I read back and realized they were the two who started this little brain teaser. You guys are good.

Keeping with the theme, I propose we rename this to the Ed Head Thread.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-05-2013 at 03:06 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Matt Batts is close...There's probably a Bill Hill listed in the encyclopedia, but I'm trying to do this without leaning on the encyclopedia.

Turn Off Ads?