Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Online privacy?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Online privacy?

Not a whole lot you can do anymore. If people want your information it's not all that difficult to get.

As far as smartphone apps, it is pretty crazy how much info they pull. You can check out most popular wallpaper apps...or apps of any kind for that matter, and if you check their permissions it'll include your location, your contacts info, you call logs, all kinds of stuff. I always have my location stuff turned off and I never dl apps that pull unnecessary info.

I don't mess with a lot of social media, even though everyone always wonders why I don't. I just never cared to attach my name to personal stuff that's out there for anyone to see. I guess it is what it is...most people are unaware of it anyway.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Not a whole lot you can do anymore. If people want your information it's not all that difficult to get.

As far as smartphone apps, it is pretty crazy how much info they pull. You can check out most popular wallpaper apps...or apps of any kind for that matter, and if you check their permissions it'll include your location, your contacts info, you call logs, all kinds of stuff. I always have my location stuff turned off and I never dl apps that pull unnecessary info.
    That is why I always read the permissions for apps and even read the reviews before grabbing one. I have avoided a few apps that I liked because they wanted data that simply didn't make sense for that app.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is why I always read the permissions for apps and even read the reviews before grabbing one. I have avoided a few apps that I liked because they wanted data that simply didn't make sense for that app.
    That's a reason why many APPs are free. They want that data to resell.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    That's a reason why many APPs are free. They want that data to resell.
    That and the ads. I don't mind ads being in apps. I run ads on my website. I know what they pay. It is something worth while and to be honest, if you have a successful app, you probably would rather have a free version with ads than a non-free version without them. In the long run, you will make more money that way (assuming the app is $1-2).

Turn Off Ads?