Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member from Namibia

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

New Member from Namibia

I've been a Reds fan since 1956. I grew up in Englewood, OH (near Dayton) and listened to almost every game throughout my childhood.

Thanks to MLB Audio, I can follow the Reds from my current home in Okahandja, Namibia in southern Africa. I still listen to every game, but I have to do it in the middle of the night since we are 5 or 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time. For that reason, I love day games 'cause I can listen in the early evening.

I found this forum accidentally while searching for something else. What a find. I'm excited.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Member from Namibia

Welcome. Why are you in Africa?

My wife and I work as missionaries among the very poor in a squatter's camp. We've built a youth center in the middle of the camp and are training Namibian staff to run it. We also have a job skills program. Check out my wife's blog at http://workofourhands.blogspot.com

Welcome aboard.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFaninAfrica View Post
    My wife and I work as missionaries among the very poor in a squatter's camp. We've built a youth center in the middle of the camp and are training Namibian staff to run it. We also have a job skills program. Check out my wife's blog at http://workofourhands.blogspot.com
    Amazing. We're honored to have you here.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

OK oneupper, why are you trying to put Altagracia de Orituco on the map? Did you live there at one time? I see your location says, "Back in Florida."

Welcome!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

OK oneupper, why are you trying to put Altagracia de Orituco on the map? Did you live there at one time? I see your location says, "Back in Florida."
    LOL. Never been to Altagracia de Orituco (been close) I made a reference to it in a semi-famous magazine article I wrote back in 2009.
    Just kind of left on it that banner on my blog.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It worked. I looked it up.

What's the internet situation there?

Well, we send two monkeys to the top of adjacent trees with hollowed out coconuts ...

It's pretty good actually. The speeds aren't as fast as in the States and there's no way I could watch games on MLB.TV, but the MLB audio comes through fine.

Wow, Namibia? Having studied German through grad school, I've always found Namibia interesting in that it was once a German colony and still has some German speakers down there. I hear you can find some neat German ghost towns that have been reclaimed by the desert.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Yes, Namibia has a lot of German speakers from colonial times. I read the Allegemeine Zeitung almost every day to keep up with mein deutscher Wortschatz. I hear there are some German speakers in Cincinnati too.

The ghost town you are referring to is close to Luderitz but I've never been there myself. It is in a very remote location.

Just shows that there are passionate Reds fans in all corners of the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFaninAfrica
    Yes, Namibia has a lot of German speakers from colonial times. I read the Allegemeine Zeitung almost every day to keep up with mein deutscher Wortschatz. I hear there are some German speakers in Cincinnati too.
    Das stimmt!

I've been a Reds fan since 1956. I grew up in Englewood, OH (near Dayton) and listened to almost every game throughout my childhood.

Thanks to MLB Audio, I can follow the Reds from my current home in Okahandja, Namibia in southern Africa. I still listen to every game, but I have to do it in the middle of the night since we are 5 or 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time. For that reason, I love day games 'cause I can listen in the early evening.

I found this forum accidentally while searching for something else. What a find. I'm excited.
    Great to hear from you! My wife and I drove around for 10 days and camped with a friend in Namibia a few years ago. We did the circuit. Windhoek, Etosha, Swakopmund and Sousvlei with a few other stops in there. You live in an amazing place from the people to the incredible landscape. It was one of the most memorable trips I've taken. I'll try to dig out a few photos and post here later.....

I'm counting on you to bring us good luck!

Turn Off Ads?