Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most frustrating moment as a Reds fan?

Most frustrating moment as a Reds fan?

For me, it was during the 1970 World Series when Elrod Hendricks made a tag of Bernie Carbo at home, with the umpire calling Carbo out. The ump had his back to the plate, and Hendricks had the ball in his bare hand, not in the mitt, which is what tagged Carbo "out." Anyone else remember that?

That was the first time I recall an ump really blowing a call that mattered to me.

What's yours?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most frustrating moment as a Reds fan?

The ending of the 1999 season, not only the tie breaker game but losing 2/3 against the Brewers to force the tie.

The 1987 trade deadline when the Giants traded for Rick Reuschel and the Reds lost out. Reuschel would have put the Reds in the playoffs that season and they would not pull the trigger.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I know this probably isn't high on most Reds fans list, but it makes me mad to this day. May 2nd, 2005 against the Cards. The Cards score seven runs in the 9th inning to beat us 10-9, Graves was booed off of the field.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Lindner/Allen era.

It's virtually impossible to narrow it down to one specific moment.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Halladay's no hitter in the 2010 NLDS

Had playoff tickets for the division series in '99 and they lost 2/3 to the Brewers and the 1 game playoff to the Mets.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The four game sweep in the '95 NLCS also comes to mind. To make matters worse, I was living in (bandwagon) Braves country at the time.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

1981 -- best record in baseball & don't play in the post season ---

followed by 1970 Series blown call

--- now I need a drink!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

These are in my lifetime 1979-Present...

1. Getting swept by the Braves in 95, we had made plans to come to the World Series that year.

2. Losing Game 2 in 2010, I feel like if we could have won game 2 we would have had some momentum going into Cincy for Game 3 (which I was in attendance). Also not pulling the trigger at the deadline was frustrating, seemed the stupid owners were just content on winning the division, and not making a run at the Series. Game 2 just left me with a bad sense of depression.

3. Losing the 1999 Mets game.

4. Blowing that 9th inning 7 run lead against the Braves in 2010 on that grand slam that went off Nix's glove, I lost a bet to a fat-assed Bandwagon Braves fan that I wanted to DDT and legdrop when I saw him the next day. (I REALLY hate the Braves, can't you tell)!?

5. Seeing the season end with a strike in 1994 while the Reds were on their way to winning the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    1981 -- best record in baseball & don't play in the post season ---

followed by 1970 Series blown call

--- now I need a drink!
    Should have known you'd remeber that 1970 call. Expos also screwed in that strike shortened season.

But hey, I know you also old enough to vividly recall the Big Red Machine. As my dad told me at the time "enjoy this son, you will likely never see the likes of this team again in your lifetime." I wish I had truly appreciated how lucky I was to grow up as a baseball nut with a team like the Reds in the 70's. I was absolutely certain there would be more WS wins with the acquisition of Tom Terrific...never happened.

1999 game vs the Mets. My dad somehow had gotten tickets for himself, me and my two brothers, and surprised us when we got home from school. They were the nosebleeds of the nosebleeds, but, we were there nonetheless.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Should have known you'd remeber that 1970 call. Expos also screwed in that strike shortened season.

But hey, I know you also old enough to vividly recall the Big Red Machine. As my dad told me at the time "enjoy this son, you will likely never see the likes of this team again in your lifetime." I wish I had truly appreciated how lucky I was to grow up as a baseball nut with a team like the Reds in the 70's. I was absolutely certain there would be more WS wins with the acquisition of Tom Terrific...never happened.
    I remember that I was driving somewhere with my wife & I told her getting Seaver would guarantee a couple WS -- yeah I was giddy (& wrong).

Another disappointment was having WS tix for all 4 games scheduled to be played in Cincy in 1990 -- and not getting to see more than 2 games due to the Reds' unexpected sweep!

Kind of like the time I won $5,000 in the Powerball Lottery & that I missed the whole thing by one number ---

both of those were happy disappointments though ---

One more --- The Commish blocking the Reds getting Vida Blue.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

When Bowie Selig nulled the trade for Vida Blue. I mean Bud Kuhn.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    When Bowie Selig nulled the trade for Vida Blue. I mean Bud Kuhn.
    Yep, remember that one well too. I was so angry at Kuhn! I thought Vida Blue coming to the Reds would guarantee another couple of WS wins, but he never was the DOMINANT force I figured him to be.

I sure loved that name as a teenager. Have any of you ever known any other Vida's in your life? Not me!

when the reds released Dave Van Gorder it was devastating

Turn Off Ads?