Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who gets the last spot?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Francisco

29 54.72%
  • Frazier

19 35.85%
  • Harris

5 9.43%
  • Janish

0 0%
  • Valaika

0 0%
  • Phipps

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That last bench spot

That last bench spot

Assuming four spots are locked up (Mesigan, Cairo, Valdez, Heiswick), who do you think wins the last bench spot to start the season?

Last edited by Redsfan320; 03-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: That last bench spot

Is Valdez out of options? I don't recall whether the issue was that he couldn't be sent down or that Philly had no room for him on their 40 man roster.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is Valdez out of options? I don't recall whether the issue was that he couldn't be sent down or that Philly had no room for him on their 40 man roster.
    I'm sure I have read he is out of options. As is Francisco. That will have a major impact on who makes it and who doesn't.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Francisco will definitely get the last spot unless he is hurt or traded.

If he doesn't get the last spot, it will be Harris because of his lefty bat.

No way Reds go into the season with only two lefty bats, Votto and Bruce.

Frazier may win a RedsZone poll, but his only hope is injuries. And there could be injuries.

If Francsico is healthy, then him.

Otherwise, it goes to Frazier.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Francisco is out of options, so he'll get it or be traded.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Puffy beat me to it. Yep, unless Juan's hurt, he's a lock. No options.

Francisco's gonna be hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Francisco's gonna be hurt.
    Yep. He's not even doing "baseball activities" yet. It will be very hard for him to get ready in time. He will likely start the season on the DL, then a rehab assignment.

I could see the Reds go with 11 pitchers, and Harris and Fraizer to start the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Francisco and Harris.

I think they will head out of ST with a creative roster because the need for a 5th starter to be active isn't there. I have a feeling that Francisco will start the season on the DL though. So I guess my best guess is Harris unless Frazier tears it up and forces his way onto the club.

From what I've heard, they think Francisco needs to shed some pounds.

If he were healthy, I think Fransisco is a given. But assuming he starts the season on the DL, I think Harris gets the nod. He gives them a LH CF option and a little speed off the bench. Personally, I'd like Frazier to get a spot, but I could see them wanting him to play everyday.

Personally, I'd go with 11 pitchers and have Frazier up with Harris in lieu of carrying Ondrusek.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not going to assume Francisco won't be ready for the season. The Reds have played 2 games thus far and there is an entire month until real games start.

He is out of options. The Reds are in love with his power. He gets the last spot if all things are equal. And even if they aren't, once he does come back, he is getting that spot that went to someone else.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Unless he's on the DL, Francisco gets the spot as insurance for Rolen and that very much needed LH bat off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not going to assume Francisco won't be ready for the season. The Reds have played 2 games thus far and there is an entire month until real games start.

He is out of options. The Reds are in love with his power. He gets the last spot if all things are equal. And even if they aren't, once he does come back, he is getting that spot that went to someone else.
    Thats a very important, and often overlooked point. Opening day rosters are great for discussion, but not that meaningful in the grand scope of things. Over 162 games, the roster takes on many shapes and forms.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?