Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates extend McCutchen 6yr/$51.5MM

Pirates extend McCutchen 6yr/$51.5MM

The Pirates and Andrew McCutchen have agreed to a six-year extension worth $51.5MM with a club option for a seventh year at $14.75MM, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Pirates are doing some good things lately. It's a shame about Burnett being out for 2-3 months but this deal has to be sending good vibes in the Pirate clubhouse.

-Matt
    Last edited by mattfeet; 03-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates extend McCutchen 6yr/$51.5MM

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    The Pirates and Andrew McCutchen have agreed to a six-year extension worth $51.5MM with a club option for a seventh year at $14.75MM, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Pirates are doing some good things lately. It's a shame about Burnett being out for 2-3 months but this deal has to be sending good vibes in the Pirate clubhouse.

-Matt
    Especially with Houston exiting for the AL, there's really no reason that the NL Central shouldn't be the best division in baseball.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Don't get too comfy there, Andrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Holy smokes, Batman. That's a reasonable contract for one of the more talented players in the league.

Every chance I had, I'd be pitching a trade of prospects to get that guy.

Many parallels to Jay Bruce.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Many parallels to Jay Bruce.
    Dave Cameron on fangraphs states as fact Mccutcheon is far superior to Bruce. Do you guys see that the case, especially going forward?

Upton, Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun, Romero, Tulowitzki, Maybin, McCutchen, Bruce, Ellsbury, Garza, Rasmus.

The first round of a Fantasy Baseball draft? No, the first round of the 2005 MLB draft. Perhaps the best round in MLB draft history?

The Mariners pick of Jeff Clement #3 overall makes the Reds' selection of Chad Mottola look great.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-05-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dave Cameron on fangraphs states as fact Mccutcheon is far superior to Bruce. Do you guys see that the case, especially going forward?
    Going forward, not so much. He has been to this point though, particularly when considering one plays center and one plays right. I think Jay has more potential in his bat, so how much he grows in that regard is what will matter most when it comes to who is better.

I thought it more from the years/dollars standpoint (isn't Bruce's contract almost exactly McCutcheon's) and, roughly speaking, a young player who has potential, experienced a decent amount of current production, and is forcasted to a rosey future.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I wonder if he finally got that vacant expression off his face when he signed the contract.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

McCutchen's CF defense and contact rate will probably give him more consistency over the course of his career than Bruce. But his lack of power limits his upside.

Bruce is going to be prone to bigger slumps and has less defensive upside, but he could add 100 points of slugging and put up an MVP type season.

McCutchen isn't going to put up a .270/.360/.600. Bruce probably won't either, but he could.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Framework of the deal very similar to those of Justin Upton and Bruce, as others have pointed out.

This is as uber long-term as it gets in Pirate land. LTC's to the Pirates are usually 3 years.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Framework of the deal very similar to those of Justin Upton and Bruce, as others have pointed out.

This is as uber long-term as it gets in Pirate land. LTC's to the Pirates are usually 3 years.
    I'll be surprised if he's there after 3 years.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Especially with Houston exiting for the AL, there's really no reason that the NL Central shouldn't be the best division in baseball.
    Easy there big boy. The AL East says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I wonder if he finally got that vacant expression off his face when he signed the contract.
    My favorite graphic in the history of ballpark graphics:

Just Andrew McCutchen. Hanging with his hot dog.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-06-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?