Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best moment as Reds fan

Best moment as Reds fan

As was pointed out, last thread was a downer. So outside of World Series victories, what are your favorite memories as a Reds fan? And to make it more challenging, you had to be there to see it for yourself.

1. Johnny Bench's game tying home run against the Pirates in game 5 of the 1972 playoffs.

2. Pete Rose record breaking hit. Incidentally, I was at that game and the night's before having bought tickets months in advance. Came in from Montana, was bummed he didn't get in first game, thrilled when he came through in the second game. Drove home the next day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best moment as Reds fan

Jay Bruce's division clinching solo shot in 2010. I was at Johnny Cueto's debut when he struck out 10 with no walks, that was pretty cool. But nothing compares to the Jay Bruce homer, at least in my lifetime.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Jay Bruce's division clinching solo shot in 2010. I was at Johnny Cueto's debut when he struck out 10 with no walks, that was pretty cool. But nothing compares to the Jay Bruce homer, at least in my lifetime.
    Saw that on TV (mlbtv) but not in attendance. Right off the bat - dead centerfield. And Jay rising his fist in sheer, pure joy! That was pretty awesome, would have loved to have been at that game.

Homer's debut. I only go a few games a year at best and I had got the tickets several months in advance and it just worked out that it was Homer's first game.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Jay Bruce division clincher.
    Ramon's Opening Day walk-off.
    Chapman's debut.

These are the three most recent that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Saw that on TV (mlbtv) but not in attendance. Right off the bat - dead centerfield. And Jay rising his fist in sheer, pure joy! That was pretty awesome, would have loved to have been at that game.
    I remember jumping up and down in my living room, screaming "PLAYOFFS, PLAYOFFS!" Was an amazing moment.
    Let's get weird!

In person, it has to be June 2nd, 1989, Eric Davis hits for the cycle against San Diego. I was 12 years old and it forever cemented the 44 Magnum as my favorite player.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

The last game ever at Crosly Field. Still have my ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Yeah for me that was pretty amazing. It only tops 1990 for me and my first Reds game that year (E.Davis Grand slam), because I was up listening with my two week old daughter in my arms when Bruce hit it. Her first Reds moment.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

It was this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99005110.shtml

Scott Scudder had to come in as an emergency starter and got shelled early by the Cubs. I wasnt there but my buddy and I were watching it and then left to go bowling. They had the game on there and we kept an eye on it as we bowled. In the 8th inning the Reds were down 5-4 with he bases loaded and Sabo was up against Mitch Williams. By this time a crowd had gathered around the TV set at the alley. Sabo laced a ball into the left field gap and three runs scored. Everybody was high fiving and jumping up and down and cheering. It didnt matter that we werent at the game, we screamed as if we were. Once the inning was over we all went back to our games. That moment only lasted for a second but I will never forget that spontaneous reaction by a bunch of strangers in the corner of a bowling alley but that season was so magical everyone could sense it and wanted to be a part of it.

Well, I only have a few in person Reds games-outside of Spring Training, HOF game, or minor league games. So, I would go with Aug 17, 1983 (I think, a day either way) in Pittsburgh. My first MLB game in person-my parents drove me up from NC for my 9'th birthday to see the team and Bench as he was my favorite player and retiring that year. Hit a homer, think it was his last road homer of his career-haven't checked to confirm, but pretty certain.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

when the reds signed pat corrales!

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

1. Sitting 20 rows back from first base while Pete Rose soaked it all in after hit #4192.
    2. The Jay Bruce playoff-clinching HR was amazing. Not only immediately, but the swarm of people that gravitated from GABP to Fountain Square was an awesome spectacle for Cincinnati. Incredible night.
    3. Sitting in the same seats for the Pete Rose hit, I saw Johnny Bench hit a home run on September 17, 1983: The original "Johnny Bench Day."
    4. Random moment, but one I'll never forget: 1999 was full of incredibly exciting moments, many of which happened on the road, which is why the team was dubbed "The Big Road Machine." Early in the season, the Reds had just returned to Cinergy Field after a 7-0 road trip to Arizona and Houston. They were facing the Diamondbacks in the home opener of the series and trailed 5-2 going into the bottom of the 9th. Buck Showalter sent rookie Vicente Padilla to the mound to close out the game - his MLB debut! The Reds never even recorded an out. Single by Greg Vaughn, double by Larkin, blooper by Taubensee that was misplayed by Womack into a triple to tie the game at 4, punctuated by an Aaron Boone single to left over a drawn-in infield to win it. 26,000+ in the yard that night and I was several cold ones deep, so we were partying like it was 1999! Well, it was...

That 1999 team was one of my favorites of all time. Hard to beat 1990, but the '99 season was the most dramatic that I can remember as a Reds fan.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Nerdvana Annihilation

Watching Johnny Cuto's kick Jason LaRue. not because of Jason LaRue but because it was a Cardinals player.

Well, since I've been to a total of 6 games, 4 in '73, and 2 in 2002, my most memorable moment was Jeff Bagwell's 400 HR.

Turn Off Ads?