Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: name your future Reds infield

name your future Reds infield

3B - Cozart
    SS - Gregorius
    2B - Hamilton
    1B - Soto

not sure what year, but after seeing the play Gregorius made today Im sold, he made an all star play up the middle today that looked like Ozzie Smith.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: name your future Reds infield

1B - Unknown. I don't trust any of the minor league guys yet to pencil them in.
    2B - Cozart
    SS - Gregorius
    3B - Unknown. See first base.

1B Lutz
    2B Hamilton
    SS Gregorius
    3B Vidal

Two of the four will be All Stars. (Just can't decide who those two will be.)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

HRod got a hit today too.

Yeah, not saying they're as good as BP and Votto, but we have guys who can play that we might want to consider moving on with and staying young and cheap. Then use the money for pitching.

Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen

The future is now!!!

Seriously,

Votto
    H-Rod
    Cozart
    Francisco, Vidal
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Yea, Gregorius looked SICK today at SS. That was a Top-10 play if I've ever seen one.

-Matt

2014, as of now:

1B Soto/Lutz
    2B HRod/Perez
    SS Gregorius/Cozart
    3B Vidal/Buckley
    LF YRod/Phipps
    CF Hamilton/LaMarre
    RF Bruce/Waldrop
    CA Mesaraco/Barnhardt

Just Missed: Wright, Greene, Duran, Rosa, Fleury
    Last edited by corkedbat; 03-05-2012 at 09:19 PM.

The Reds are going to sign either Votto or Phillips long term, so either first or second will be one of those for awhile, and not a prospect. Just saying.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Cozart at third?

You want a hiter at third.

The jury is still out whether he can hit enough to play SS.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds are going to sign either Votto or Phillips long term, so either first or second will be one of those for awhile, and not a prospect. Just saying.
    They will try their level best to sign both, but fail. I think that Phillips won't sign for what the Reds are comfortable offering him. I don't believe Votto will sign w/o testing the market or a contract larger than the Reds can afford and remain competitive. The "roster" I posted above is w/o any future trades or signings. If neither Votto or Phillips are signed, others will be.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 03-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.

I'm honestly surprised anybody would think the reds are going to sign Phillips at this point. The time for that has come and gone.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I think the Reds lose out on Votto simply because they didn't get him re-signed this off season. Because he is going to have a completely utterly sick season that prices him beyond their reach. The guy is just entering his prime years - the past two seasons have just been a warm-up. I really believe that. By the end of 2012 he'll be commanding a contract in the $25 million a year neighborhood over 8 years - something the Reds can't touch. 7 and 20 sticks hard and I think that won't be enough. The opportunity for Phillips has come and gone, imo. I'm not so sure signing him to more than 1 or 2 years is a really smart move anyway - there are decent alternatives in the pipeline for BP, the Reds may need a stopgap for a year is all. You can't really replace a Votto, though. The guy is OPSing .955 for his career. Perez topped that barely once in his entire career. I'd like to see him stay but the Reds will likely have to be smart and put the money they won't be paying him and BP and Arroyo into their starting pitching and keeping their other young stars together and fill the holes.

I like Cozart at SS (and in the 2 spot) and can't wait for the season to get going so he can shut up the nay sayers.
    I like Gregorious, too, eventually the Reds will trade one of them. I can't really predict which. Rodriguez at second -the kid is a star and will make us remember BP fondly but without any regrets IF he can screw his head on straight. Soto will get his shot at first but the less flashy but steadier Lutz might end up Hal Morris'ing him out of the job. I don't think Francisco will stick just because he never saw a pitch he didn't think was a strike - even when they bounce first, Frazier might get traded before Francisco flops completely because he sure seems to get no love so I bet Dave Vidal ends up sneaking into the job and doing a good Gene Freese-ish type of job there.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    They will try their level best to sign both, but fail. I think that Phillips won't sign for what the Reds are comfortable offering him. I don't believe Votto will sign w/o testing the market or a contract larger than the Reds can afford and remain competitive. The "roster" I posted above is w/o any future trades or signings. If neither Votto or Phillips are signed, others will be.
    To add to your comments. If the minor leaguers really take some improved steps this season, the Reds might be even more willing to move on without Votto and BPhil, knowing they have some studs coming behind them.

I still say the team needs to stay cheap and concentrate on spending money on pitching. Pitching wins championships.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Cozart at third?

You want a hiter at third.

The jury is still out whether he can hit enough to play SS.
    why is this? I've never bought into that notion of certain positions should be better HITTERS than others. When they're at the position, it's the defense that should matter most. If you carry a weaker hitting 3b, you can make that up by having a better hitter than you'd normally have at a typically weaker hitting position. But regardless, it just seems odd to me to say that x doesn't hit enough to play y position. In my eyes, he needs to hit well enough to play at the majors...period. Regardless of position. He also needs to field his position at least as good as average, regardless of what he hits. If a guy can't field, I don't want him attempting it at the major league level.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Let's go off the beaten path here:

1B HankRod
    2B Hamilton
    SS Gregorius
    3B Soto

I wouldn't put a nickel on that coming true, but that would be a very interesting infield.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?