Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like the DH is on its way...

Re: Sounds like the DH is on its way...

It ain't broke, don't fix! leave it like it is. So WHAT if they have to play different from series to series??? So when the DH is on the manager can take a snooze 'till the 9th inning.

The DH is bullcrap, and an afront to the history of the game. Don't expand it...just leave it as it is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

what i dont understand is that if we are wanting to change purely because you cant be switching between 2 sets of rules every other series then why not do away with the DH all together? it sure dont bother people to act as if adding the DH will help, why not look at it from the other view point....deleting the DH should help us all play by the same rules, there is no sense in haivng a DH, if you cant play in the field then you should not be able to use the bat......that simple.

how soon before little league starts letting another kid bat for the pitcher? how soon before we start drafting players based on just hitting and force them to DH? how soon until contracts start stating that said player is only allowed to DH so he wont get hurt? DH is the dumbest thing in sports, if you want to have an extra hitter then add 10 spots to the lineup but if you play the field then you must bat. simple as that.

I loathe the DH, but I think having it in both leagues in inevitable. In fact, I'm surprised the union hasn't insisted upon it by now.

It will be a sad day when that happens, but baseball will survive.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I've got some wild speculation for you. MLB puts the DH in the NL, has interleague play all season. If/when it happens, would there be any reason to have an NL and AL? Couldn't there be just one league, top 10 records at the end of the season get playoff spots?
    There already is just one league (MLB) - the AL and NL are already like the AFC and NFC in football. Not seperate leagues anymore, the only real difference is the DH. Having the contstant interleague play (which I don't mind so long as it's spread out over the season since it won't take away from the NL or AL races as much) and eventually the DH will just codify what is really a de facto reality.

I'm no fan of the DH - the only reason pitchers don't hit for a semi-decent average is that they never get the chance to hit in the cage and actually work on their hitting. If they took BP like the rest of the team, they'd all be much better hitters - at least up to catcher average.

The DH is eventually going to be in the NL and while it will end an era of baseball (and it will be a sad end, imho), the game itself will continue on.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

My cousin pitched in the bigs and he had to hit even though he hadn't hit since middle school. I want to see the best be their best, not the hitting equivalent of me enter the batters box. As I think has already been stated, perhaps the DH would also help to attract big name free agent bats to the NL instead of watching them constantly move to the AL.
    Last edited by improbus; 03-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'll start off with stating that I abhore the 'Dumb Hitter' in baseball. It truly is dumb.

However, I also feel that with top level SP's getting $15M+ these days it's hard to think about not wanting to protect them somewhat. The A.J. Burnett eye injury may prove to be the nail in the coffin that speeds up the DH showing up in the NL.

My thought is a compromise:

The DH hits for your starting pitcher. When your starter is pulled, your DH either goes in the field via double switch or he's done at that moment. Relief pitchers only bat a handful of times during the season anyway so it keeps the strategy that DirtyBaker was talking about. The AL will not allow the DH to go away and this keeps the chess game in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    I'm no fan of the DH - the only reason pitchers don't hit for a semi-decent average is that they never get the chance to hit in the cage and actually work on their hitting. If they took BP like the rest of the team, they'd all be much better hitters - at least up to catcher average.
    The reasons pitchers don't hit for a decent average is because if you have a kid that can throw a good fastball and maybe a curve ball as a freshman in high school, but can also hit .300+, are you going to want him playing every day or not? Kind of the same reason there aren't left handed catchers...if you have a lefty with the arm strength to throw out people at second, you're going to want him on the mound not behind the plate.
    Last edited by joshua; 03-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.

There was a decent article in a recent ESPN Mag, talking about its a wasted spot and basically a failed concept, teams dont/wont develop DH's, just stick an aged bat in there.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    I'll start off with stating that I abhore the 'Dumb Hitter' in baseball. It truly is dumb.

However, I also feel that with top level SP's getting $15M+ these days it's hard to think about not wanting to protect them somewhat. The A.J. Burnett eye injury may prove to be the nail in the coffin that speeds up the DH showing up in the NL.

My thought is a compromise:

The DH hits for your starting pitcher. When your starter is pulled, your DH either goes in the field via double switch or he's done at that moment. Relief pitchers only bat a handful of times during the season anyway so it keeps the strategy that DirtyBaker was talking about. The AL will not allow the DH to go away and this keeps the chess game in baseball.
    Wow! I think that is a terrific idea! And doable too...somebody contact Selig! Twitter him or something! (I can't believe I never thot of it)

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Wow! I think that is a terrific idea! And doable too...somebody contact Selig! Twitter him or something! (I can't believe I never thot of it)
    It took a while to think of a fair way. Too bad it'll never come to fruition, here's 2 reasons why:

1 - It makes sense.
    2 - It's the right thing to do.

The real reason is this:
    It doesn't give the Brewers an advantage. Bud will never go with it.

I don't care what they do, I would just like both leagues to be the same. I would prefer no DH, but as long as theyre the same, it doesn't really matter to me. I just think it's dumb to plan around something like that the entire season and then not be able to use what you built your team for in the world series.

Bud Selig reminds me of why I am so excited to go to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Bud Selig reminds me of why I am so excited to go to heaven.
    What if he ends up the Commish up there?

What is funny about this particular forum is that no NL team over the last 15 years would have benefitted more than the DH than the Reds. It seems like every season we have had a vet who needed some rest (Junior, Aurilia, Rolen, etc...), a defensive liability with a good bat (Lopez, Dunn, 2009 Gomes), or a young guy who needs some ABs (Yonder, Wily Mo, etc...)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What is funny about this particular forum is that no NL team over the last 15 years would have benefitted more than the DH than the Reds. It seems like every season we have had a vet who needed some rest (Junior, Aurilia, Rolen, etc...), a defensive liability with a good bat (Lopez, Dunn, 2009 Gomes), or a young guy who needs some ABs (Yonder, Wily Mo, etc...)
    Oh, I don't know...the Cards had an extra outfielder in Craig, who is a masher that would have been a hulluve DH. Just sayin'

Turn Off Ads?