Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your 2012 NFL Mock Draft Selection Thread

Re: Your 2012 NFL Mock Draft Selection Thread

With the 21st pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Kirkpatrick at 21?!?! The Bengals could not get their card in any faster. With the uncertainty of Hall's injury and a lack of depth at corner, Kirkpatrick fills a very big need.

Man Coverage: Possesses prototypical size and strength combination to lock down NFL receivers on the outside. Long arms and attitude give him a chance to be very good in press role. Plays with natural bend and fair foot quickness in his backpedal. Hips are fluid for his size, opens them up quickly out of pedal to keep inside position while running down the sideline. Recovery speed from double-moves and pick plays is more than adequate, does not give much ground trailing on crossing routes. Can be overaggressive landing his punch in press, giving up inside position, losing his balance, or even falling down.

Zone Coverage: Mainly used in man, but flashes playmaking ability in zones, as well. Uses his size and length to close and wrap effectively after the catch. Reads quarterback when playing off, baits him to make the underneath throw then closes to make the interception or a big hit to dislodge ball from receiver. Uses length to knock away touch passes behind him and in front of the safety.

Ball Skills: Strong enough to win jump balls down the sideline or 50-50 balls over the middle. Good hand-eye coordination to knock away passes in front of receivers with off hand. Does not find the ball quickly when receiver turns to look, overruns plays too regularly. Gambles on interceptions instead of securing the tackle.

Run Support: Very physical outside, pushes aside smaller wideouts easily and does not back down from confrontations with larger players. Willing to add himself to piles. Good hustle and chase downfield to help teammates. Typically keeps outside leverage but will get aggressive, leaving the sideline vulnerable. Needs to consistently break down and keep his feet outside or NFL backs will evade him.

Tackling: Flashes pure strength to stop receivers and running backs in their tracks on the outside, should get stronger over time. Likes to throw his shoulder into receivers to force them out of bounds. Resorts to duck-and-swipe when unnecessary, which may work against college ballcarriers but will cause problems at the next level. Used on corner blitzes due to size/speed combination, forces a lot of quick throws. Willing to go for the strip, especially if ballcarrier already engaged. Negates special teams gunners on punts, stays with them with effort, physicality and speed.

Intangibles: Well-liked teammate who got the nickname "Swag" for his quiet but confident demeanor; referred to Texas as not having "swagger" during his college announcement press conference. Likes to talk on the field to teammates and get the crowd involved when at home. Praised for his strong will and work ethic. Won the team's Bart Starr Most Improved Player Award in the spring of 2011.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Updated thru 21.

ROUND 1

1. Indianapolis (2-14) redsfanmia - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    2. St. Louis (2-14) MikeThierry - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.
    3. Minnesota (3-13) schmidty622 - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
    4. Cleveland (4-12) LoganBuck - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
    5. Tampa Bay (4-12) Caveat Emperor - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    6. Washington (5-11) Gallen5862 - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    7. Jacksonville (5-11) JaxRed - David DeCastro, G, Stanford
    8. Miami (6-10) chicoruiz - Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
    9. Carolina (6-10) sonny - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St.
    10 .Buffalo (6-10) ervinsm84 - Quentin Coples, DE, North Carolina
    11. Kansas City (7-9) SidneySlicker - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    12. Seattle (7-9) Vottofan54 - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
    13. Arizona (8-8) Buckeye33 - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
    14. Dallas (8-8) NJReds - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
    15. Philadelphia (8-8) HotCorner - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
    16. New York Jets (8-8) KoryMac5 - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    17. Cincinnati (9-7) HotCorner - Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
    18. San Diego (8-8) izzy's dad - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
    19. Chicago (8-8) izzy's dad - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    20. Tennessee (9-7) schmidty622 - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    21. Cincinnati (9-7) HotCorner - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
    22. Cleveland (4-12) LoganBuck
    23. Detroit (10-6) cincy09
    24. Pittsburgh (12-4) Mario-Rijo
    25. Denver (8-8) Nathan
    26. Houston (10-6) Ohayou
    27. New England (13-3) -WVRed
    28. Green Bay (15-1) Mutaman
    29. Baltimore (12-4) WVRed
    30. San Francisco (13-3) Ohayou
    31. New England (13-3) - WVRed
    32. New York Giants (9-7) Puffy

Away from computer for awhile will evaluate and post later
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Gotta say, if that draft happens for the Bengals I am going to be very, very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Gotta say, if that draft happens for the Bengals I am going to be very, very happy.
    Same here, although I think the picks would be flipped. Kirkpatrick at 17 and Glenn at 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Don't like Kirkpatrick myself but I see the reasoning behind it. I think he is limited on the field, and off the field he is suspect. I actually prefer S. Gilmore at this point he's on the rise and I think rightfully so. Glenn is a good choice and IMO you picked him in the right spot even though the value is better at 21, all 3 teams directly behind the Bengals have need for OL if not multiple OL. Add to that Glenn's potential to play 3 of the 5 positions on the line and I think it's real wise considering Andre Smith may not be re-signed next offseason.

Can I ask your FA plan leading up to the draft? Just to get a clearer picture of your draft. Though I suppose it might change considering you already know who is available to you here.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Don't like Kirkpatrick myself but I see the reasoning behind it. I think he is limited on the field, and off the field he is suspect. I actually prefer S. Gilmore at this point he's on the rise and I think rightfully so. Glenn is a good choice and IMO you picked him in the right spot even though the value is better at 21, all 3 teams directly behind the Bengals have need for OL if not multiple OL. Add to that Glenn's potential to play 3 of the 5 positions on the line and I think it's real wise considering Andre Smith may not be re-signed next offseason.

Can I ask your FA plan leading up to the draft? Just to get a clearer picture of your draft. Though I suppose it might change considering you already know who is available to you here.
    I took Glenn at 17 because 1) DeCastro was off the board and the guards after these two are not quite on the same level IMO and 2) Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Jenkins and Barron were all available at 17 too I figured at least one would be available. Ideally I would have traded down from 21.

As for my FA plan, it would be to sign Michael Bush, Nicks/Grubbs/Mathis, CB and WR.

NL Central champs

I don't know if this should go here or in a seperate draft thread, but it looks like the Redskins are going to trade 3 first round picks and a second rounder for the Rams 2nd overall pick.

WOW!

With the 22nd overall pick the Cleveland Browns select Lamar Miller RB Miami(FL)

I debated this selection, but ultimately came down to selecting another explosive player to go with RG3. The Browns have been lacking sizzle in their offense. The combo of RG3 and Miller gives them the most explosive QB/RB combo in the division, if not the conference, and maybe second only to Vick/McCoy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I don't know if this should go here or in a seperate draft thread, but it looks like the Redskins are going to trade 3 first round picks and a second rounder for the Rams 2nd overall pick.

WOW!
    BTW, Wow. Typical Redskins, throwing away draft picks, sucks for Browns fans, but that is what happens. In this draft scenario, the Browns will probably trade back with St. Louis to let them get ahold of Blackmon, who St. Louis is said to covet. Perhaps the Browns get the Number six pick, and the Redskins second rounder. Or maybe they just take Blackmon for themselves.

Ok going on 24 hours since last pick so I may need to leave my pick with someone.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ok going on 24 hours since last pick so I may need to leave my pick with someone.
    PM me with it.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

cincy09 MIA.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Time to get this moving again.

With the 23rd pick in the 2012 Redszone mock draft, the Detroit Lions select Mike Adams, OT, THE Ohio State University.

Adams projects as a high quality tackle that will help protect Matthew Stafford for years to come.

With the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select:

Dont'a Hightower ILB University of Alabama

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?