Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Peyton

Re: Peyton

It wasn't about cap space for this year. Most money was a "long term" deal. They were talking "Life time contract".

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Slightly OT: Dolphins sign David Garrard
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Is it possible that Peyton went to the team with the most money to pay him? It's weird that hasn't been discussed. We all assume that he is signing for purely football reasons, but if that were the case, wouldn't the team that needed just two or three 3rd down conversions to make the super bowl (San Francisco) make more sense?
    Manning was going to the team that gives him the best chance at winning another SB. It is debatable if Denver is that team but money played little part in where he went. He already is rich beyond belief, he badly desires to add another SB to his legacy.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Manning was going to the team that gives him the best chance at winning another SB. It is debatable if Denver is that team but money played little part in where he went. He already is rich beyond belief, he badly desires to add another SB to his legacy.
    As some on ESPN were discussing today, PM's chances are probably better getting to the SB in the AFC than NFC.
    The NFC will feature NYG-GB-Chicago (Cutler back) and SF. Throw in teams like NO,Detroit and Dallas and maybe an improved Philly team and you can see where his path will probably be much better in the AFC, not saying it is a pushover though.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    As some on ESPN were discussing today, PM's chances are probably better getting to the SB in the AFC than NFC.
    The NFC will feature NYG-GB-Chicago (Cutler back) and SF. Throw in teams like NO,Detroit and Dallas and maybe an improved Philly team and you can see where his path will probably be much better in the AFC, not saying it is a pushover though.
    Definitely an easier path in the AFC.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Didn't the Bucs have the most cap space?
    Yes
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I agree. I can't imagine that anyone would believe Peyton would merely go where he'll get the most money.

I think SF's defense would have been a huge help, but Denver still gives him a pretty good chance and Elway and Fox in charge there probably just makes it a better fit. I can't imagine that any team seriously interested wouldn't have been offering comparable money.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

For a Level Playing Field

Being reported as 5-yr/$96-million. After being denied the $23 million from Indy this year... Latrell Spreewell hopes Peyton can feed his kids.

I've said some things about Peyton that have been somewhat unpopular in these parts. But I wish him the best. However, I have to think you can count on one hand the number of quarterbacks who have truly been elite at the age of 36+. That said, who do you suppose the last such QB was, and where did he play? As a football fan, I can't wait to see this play out.

I think this is a massive gamble for the Broncos. Its something that I think makes sense, but there have been too many people during the Manning sweepstakes who just assume that he will regain his form from a number of years ago. The two guys in recent memory who have had success into their late 30's were Elway and Favre, both of who I would consider better all around athletes than Manning. I am very interested to see how the Peyton experiment goes.

I think that this upcoming season and next season are his best shots. After that I think its a crap shoot as to whether or not he can play at a top tier level.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ibut there have been too many people during the Manning sweepstakes who just assume that he will regain his form from a number of years ago.
    How many years ago was good enough to lead a good team far into the playoffs? He seemed well above-average just two years ago IMO. You say "a number of years ago"... just need clarification on when it is that Manning became just a normal QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    How many years ago was good enough to lead a good team far into the playoffs? He seemed well above-average just two years ago IMO. You say "a number of years ago"... just need clarification on when it is that Manning became just a normal QB.
    Peyton's passer rating for his 2010 season was the lowest since his 2002 season. I don't know if it was age, a flawed stat, a mixture of both, or a bad season that led to that. Prior to the Manning injury there was some concern that the Colts were heading in the wrong direction and most pundits had predicted them to finish 2nd behind the Texans last year.

I don't know what Manning to expect and no one really does. I don't know if were going to see the great Manning ever again. I don't know how he will come back after after a year off and 3 pretty major neck surgeries. I found it mildly annoying when anyone would suggest there is a lot of risk with Manning that the replies were always, its Peyton he is great. You heard all summer, if Peyton Manning is available you have to go get him. Really? Of the teams involved all had massive QB issues. You didn't see any teams with a firm QB situation even attempt to acquirer Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    However, I have to think you can count on one hand the number of quarterbacks who have truly been elite at the age of 36+.
    I don't even know if "elite" is an apt description. A quick search turned up the following quarterbacks that had good years at over 36: Steve Young, John Elway, Warren Moon, Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner. I'm sure there are a few others, but there can't be many.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

part of BBN

It isnt like Manning's last good year was 2007. Also people talk of QB'S like Elway (who was my favorite growing up) and Favre etc. Many of these guys are or were known for things such as arm strength or feet etc which would fade with age.
    PM isnt known for either. His passes in fact rarely look very pretty as far as a tight spiral. What he does have is accuracy and an incredible intelligence of running the offense.
    I think and hope he will be able to continue these things in the Mile High City.

Turn Off Ads?