Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I'll eat crow if you own up to it after he doesn't make it 3 weeks. ESSA
    Lol. Forgot about this thread.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peyton

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I will admit I was wrong about Peyton. The one thing that worries me about Peyton is wear and tear of a season coupled by playing in the cold weather. I don't think they are going to lose any time soon.
    Nobody. Not even Archie thought he would do what he's currently doing, so really everyone was wrong.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-10-2013)

Were Peyton Manning a baseball player, Rick Reilly would be offended that he didn't agree to pee in a cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think that modern day and highly skilled college QBs like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton seem to be able to come into the NFL and immediately produce sealed Manning's fate with the Colts.

Do you use a rehabbing and iffy Manning to ease in Luck or do you just go with Luck? I think the Colts think that Luck can come in and immediately star.

I also think Manning ought to retire. The whole Colts offense was built around Peyton. It is finely tuned to his skills and he and his receivers worked long and hard to get it tuned. Even if he is totally healthy, I just don't think he can go to another team and immediately replicate what he did in Indy. It will take a year or two and I don't think he has that much gas in his tank. But he will play another year just to prove it to himself that he still can play and I agree that he'll be mediocre at best with a totally new offense and receivers.

Finally, I thought Manning handled yesterday with total class. That was an enormously difficult day and he had only good things to say about the team, the owners, the front office and the Indy fans. Peyton really is a good guy.
    Where's that crow?

8. Likes:

George Anderson (10-18-2013),Razor Shines (10-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I think the media is wrong about who the quote was about, to me it's more of a shot at "nap"Polian instead of Manning. Dungy kinda hinted to Manning doesnt perform well in big games in that article, is he taking a shot at the great one too?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    You would be lying if you said that both Manning and Polian didn't underachieve with the Colts. You had one of the greatest QB's of all time win 1 Super Bowl. Its obvious that guys like Dungy and Polian are going to take offense, but the criticism is accurate.

12. Likes:

George Anderson (10-18-2013),Sea Ray (10-17-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

You would be lying if you said that both Manning and Polian didn't underachieve with the Colts. You had one of the greatest QB's of all time win 1 Super Bowl. Its obvious that guys like Dungy and Polian are going to take offense, but the criticism is accurate.
    QB with one Super Bowl win? I thought there were 11 players on the field for each side for each play. Ask Michael Jordan about the "one guy cannot win a championship" when he was 20% of the total before the Bulls got a few more studs (vs 9% for one football player). Perhaps Dan Marino would be a good one to ask relative to the same sport.

Same crap bugs me when people say so-and-so should not make the Hall of Fame b/c HE never won a championship. '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '03 Buccaneers, '13 Ravens. I'd argue these TEAMS won it all with less than stellar QBs.

14. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-28-2013),jimbo (10-17-2013),joshua (10-18-2013),Razor Shines (10-16-2013),Revering4Blue (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    QB with one Super Bowl win? I thought there were 11 players on the field for each side for each play. Ask Michael Jordan about the "one guy cannot win a championship" when he was 20% of the total before the Bulls got a few more studs (vs 9% for one football player). Perhaps Dan Marino would be a good one to ask relative to the same sport.

Same crap bugs me when people say so-and-so should not make the Hall of Fame b/c HE never won a championship. '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '03 Buccaneers, '13 Ravens. I'd argue these TEAMS won it all with less than stellar QBs.
    If you are going to compare Peyton Manning to the QB's who have one Super Bowl the list is long and pretty ordinary. If you want to compare the Peyton to his peer's then you are going to compare him to the greats of the game.

All I said is I think Irsay has a point. It wasn't all Peyton's fault, it was the fault of the entire Colts team, but the QB gets the glory and he also gets the blame. When you compare Peyton's regular record to his playoff record it is pretty shocking. Even Dungy admitted that Peyton gets tense in playoff situations. I think Irsay's comments were accurate and those those who were offended by them need to take a closer look at this playoff performance.

16. Likes:

redsfanmia (10-17-2013)

If you are going to compare Peyton Manning to the QB's who have one Super Bowl the list is long and pretty ordinary. If you want to compare the Peyton to his peer's then you are going to compare him to the greats of the game.

All I said is I think Irsay has a point. It wasn't all Peyton's fault, it was the fault of the entire Colts team, but the QB gets the glory and he also gets the blame. When you compare Peyton's regular record to his playoff record it is pretty shocking. Even Dungy admitted that Peyton gets tense in playoff situations. I think Irsay's comments were accurate and those those who were offended by them need to take a closer look at this playoff performance.
    Even if they are accurate, it seems pretty dumb to say them right before he makes his return. It is a low class move while also creating a distraction his team doesn't need.

18. Likes:

George Anderson (10-18-2013),Razor Shines (10-18-2013)

Jim irsay is turning into the idiot his dad was.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

20. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-18-2013)

I think you have good points. Of course it's not just one guy who is responsible for the success or to blame for the failure. I think Irsay is probably getting a little tired of hearing Peyton, Peyton, Peyton all week long. I think he's also of the mind that he should deserve some of the credit for the Colts success during the Peyton era and their success in the last two years. It's understandable. After all his dad brought the team into town. He's (Jim Irsay) paid the salaries, hired the right coaches, hired the right personnel who drafted and signed the right players and kept the team together. He probably wants a little appreciation. Being an owner is kind of a thankless task. When the team wins, the credit goes to the players, coaches, front office and ownership in that order. Sure, the owner gets the Lombardi Trophy from the Commissioner but after that nobody gives a crap about the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He probably wants a little appreciation. Being an owner is kind of a thankless task. When the team wins, the credit goes to the players, coaches, front office and ownership in that order. Sure, the owner gets the Lombardi Trophy from the Commissioner but after that nobody gives a crap about the owner.
    And then there are owners who love the attention and the limelight (twitter?) despite never gaining a yard or making a tackle. Daddy's boy fits that criteria very well.

Might make the NFL top 2 list right behind Jerry Jones.

23. Likes:

George Anderson (10-18-2013)

And then there are owners who love the attention and the limelight (twitter?) despite never gaining a yard or making a tackle. Daddy's boy fits that criteria very well.

Did he inherit the team? Yes but he also worked in the organization from ball boy to general manager. Irsay is a good owner who turned a terrible franchise into a great one, think the reverse of the Browns in Cincinnati. The only thing Irsay is guilty of here is saying something that got twisted and blown out of proportion.

25. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-18-2013),Revering4Blue (10-19-2013)

Irsay is honestly one of the better owners in football, if he loved attention and the limelight wouldn't he have moved the Colts to L.A. when given the chance? Not much limelight shined on him in Indy.

Turn Off Ads?