Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Disturbing comments from Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce

They call me "chef"

Disturbing comments from Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce

Do you guys think Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce are "anarchists"? I read the thread in the Org where they disrespect authority and show no regard for their elders. I don't know how I feel about this whole ordeal. Some pride is good in sports but I think these two are TOO prideful and need to learn the meaning of being humble and playing the game the right way. What do you guys think?
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Disturbing comments from Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce

What thread are you talking about?

Sorry...saw the thread. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. If the team manager has his back it is what it is. Of course he knows that he needs to improve in certain areas, but at the same time to make it his biggest concern would shake his confidence and ultimately make him worse at everything. It's better that he accepts what he is, and makes little improvements or adjustments to try and work through it than to try and change his game altogether...especially at 27.
    Last edited by Jamz; 03-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

I'm really not sure why Bruce is getting lumped into this. He was basically saying that he believes in Drew as a power hitter despite the strikeouts. Thats what a teammate should say.

I don't think Stubbs is being disrespectful at all to management. I also agree with him that trading strikeouts for power is usually OK. Still, contact rate is the obvious hole in Drew's game and he would be crazy not to work on it if he ever wants to improve. That is the only problem I have with any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I'm really not sure why Bruce is getting lumped into this. He was basically saying that he believes in Drew as a power hitter despite the strikeouts. Thats what a teammate should say.

I don't think Stubbs is being disrespectful at all to management. I also agree with him that trading strikeouts for power is usually OK. Still, contact rate is the obvious hole in Drew's game and he would be crazy not to work on it if he ever wants to improve. That is the only problem I have with any of it.
    Besides...I don't think he isn't working on his contact rate. All he said is that he isn't going to change his approach. You can keep the same essential approach while working on your contact rate and gaining pitch recognition.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

"I am not changing my approach," says the man who didn't hit a home run in his last 176 PA in 2011, while striking out 56 times in this stretch and compiling a hefty .364 SLG on the season. I would tell you to stick to your guns, Drew, but at this point in time you are firing blanks.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

I thought Stubbs came off bad when he was mic'ed up on 30 clubs in thirty days. Sounded like the bulling jock type. Talking down to teamates, but thats 30 sec of info. Hard to make an assumption on that. One thing I do know, he better learn how to bunt.

Anarchists? I hope you're either joking or don't realize what that word actually means.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I thought Stubbs came off bad when he was mic'ed up on 30 clubs in thirty days. Sounded like the bulling jock type. Talking down to teamates, but thats 30 sec of info. Hard to make an assumption on that. One thing I do know, he better learn how to bunt.
    Do you have a clip or replay of this?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Do you have a clip or replay of this?
    30 Clubs 30 Recaps: Cincinnati Reds - YouTube
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

I am not going to get too cranked up over Stubbs at this point. In my opinion Stubbs is a power guy who happens to be fast and he should be slotted and played as a power guy.

Last year he was completely miscast as a leadoff hitter because outside of speed he has none of the requisite skills for that role. In the process of trying to be a patient hitter, he ended up as a passive hitter and constantly put himself in bad counts which lingered long after they moved him down in the order. The guy is never going to be a good enough hitter be be successful when gets down 0-2 or 1-2 in the count.

My advice is put him in the 6 or 7 slot all year and let him rip. If he wants to take the approach of a slugger, then I want the slugger power to go along with the slugger K rate. If on the other hand he has another season of slugger K rates with slap hitter production, its pretty clear the reason he can't change is approach is because he does not have one to begin with.

Turn Off Ads?