Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 3/8

Birthdays: 3/8

Reds:

Ryan Freel (36) -I don't know how old Farney is...

Juan Encarnacion (36) -While doing the research for today, I read a description of Encarnacion's eye injury, and then I didn't want my breakfast anymore...

Don Werner (59) -Third-string catcher for several years, which is what happens when your career batting average is .176. Now the Orioles bullpen coach.

Others:

Jim Rice (59) -In 1982 he peformed a heroic action by going into the stands to get a four-year-old boy who had been hit by a line drive and seriously injured. He carried the boy into the Sox clubhouse where he could be treated immediately by the team's medical staff. Trivia: Jim was a big fan of "The Young And The Restless".

Dick Allen (70) -Still a polarizing figure after all these years. He had, I've read, a beautiful high tenor singing voice.

Jim Bouton (73) -Speaking of polarizing figures... I always liked Jim, though. I was kind of drifting away from baseball fandom when I read Ball Four, and it kind of brought me back.

Carl Furillo -Rifle-armed RF of the Boys Of Summer. Nicknamed "Skoonj", which is Italian for "snail"..he was not a fast runner. Quit school after the eighth grade and always felt inferior to his teammates. Held various jobs after his playing career, including installing some of the elevators in the World Trade Center.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 3/8

I'll add Bob Grim, who was the last rookie pitcher to win 20 games in the AL.

And Jack Bentley, a really good 2-way player. He spent most of his career with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, where he regularly won 20+ games as a pitcher while playing 1B or the outfield on days he wasn't pitching. Lefty Grove was also a pitcher on some of those teams... He spent some time in the majors at the end of his career, going 46-33 as a pitcher and hitting .291 in 584 ABS...He is, I think, the only pitcher to make the last out as a batter in a World Series, which makes sense when you think about it.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

umm, didn't Freel depart the Earth a month or two ago?

either way, it's my mom's BDay too, so good day to remember birthdays!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    umm, didn't Freel depart the Earth a month or two ago?

either way, it's my mom's BDay too, so good day to remember birthdays!
    The original post was done a year ago while Freel was still alive.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?