Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Golf Season Thread

Re: Official 2012 Golf Season Thread

Lydia Ko, 15, won the LPGA Canadian Open yesterday becoming the youngest winner on that tour by over a year. Last year, Lexi Thompson, 16 then, won an event becoming they youngest ever to win. Pretty impressive.

More on Lydia. She just won the US Women's Amateur becoming the second youngest to win that event. Chump change compared to winning a tour event. She was the #1 amateur in the world prior to winning these 2 events. I heard someone questioned her ranking and she replied, "I'll show you!"

And last, believe it or not, I could've caddied for Lydia at this year's US Women's Open. No lie. I'm not kicking myself right now for a variety of reasons, but that would've been pretty cool to have caddied for her. The girl I used to caddy for, Young Jo, is friends with Lydia and asked me a few months back to caddy for her at the open. Young Jo did say she was pretty good. Young was right.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rory and Tiger put on quite a show during the first round of the BMW Championship at Pinehurst. Playing head-to-head they were each at -5 through 12. Tiger birdied 13 while Rory bogied the hole. Tiger went two up. But on the very next hole the results were switched and they tied again at -5 after 14. Tiger birdied 15 but was one-upped by McIroy who eagled the hole to go up 1. Tiger got that shot back with a birdie at 16. So they were knotted up at -7 with two holes to go. Tiger finished par-par, while Rory put a nose in front with a par-birdie finale. Round one goes to McIroy by the slimmest of margins - 64 to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Rory and Tiger put on quite a show during the first round of the BMW Championship at Pinehurst. Playing head-to-head they were each at -5 through 12. Tiger birdied 13 while Rory bogied the hole. Tiger went two up. But on the very next hole the results were switched and they tied again at -5 after 14. Tiger birdied 15 but was one-upped by McIroy who eagled the hole to go up 1. Tiger got that shot back with a birdie at 16. So they were knotted up at -7 with two holes to go. Tiger finished par-par, while Rory put a nose in front with a par-birdie finale. Round one goes to McIroy by the slimmest of margins - 64 to 65.
    I didn't get to see any of it, but man were those scores low yesterday. It should be a fun shootout to watch this weekend. BTW, they're playing Crooked Stick in Carmel, IN, not Pinehurst.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I didn't get to see any of it, but man were those scores low yesterday. It should be a fun shootout to watch this weekend. BTW, they're playing Crooked Stick in Carmel, IN, not Pinehurst.
    Lots of low scores again today. Tiger and Rory haven't quite gotten into that spirit yet. They are each -1 for the day through 8. Phil is -3 over the first nine.
    Vijay Singh leads at -13, four ahead of Rory, five ahead of Tiger and seven ahead of Phil. Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell are both five under for their round so far and -9 for the tournament.

You are right it is at Crooked Stick. I have no idea where I pulled Pinehurst from.

Update: Rory just eagled nine. Tiger parred it. For the front nine Rory has three birdies, two bogies and an eagle. Tiger is all pars except for a lone birdie at the 621-yard, par 5 fifth hole. Rory is now two shots back of Vijay.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-07-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Should be a wild weekend. Rory crept into a tie for the lead but has since bogied a hole and is two shots back at -11. Tiger has played a steadier, bogey-free round and is at -9. Phil, meanwhile, has six birdies on the day against a lone bogey and now stands at -8.

Edit: And just as I say that Rory birdies 15 to get to -12. One shot behind leader Vijay Singh. Tiger also birdies 15 is standing at -10. Also of note, Bill Haas was at -9 through 16 but has just bogied the par-three 17th. Simply a ridiculous number of low scores being offered up by the course today.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-07-2012 at 02:01 PM.

The second round is almost in the books and it was nearly as entertaining as round one. It appears as though Vijay Singh will be the leader at the halfway point at -13. Ryan Moore was the first in the clubhouse at -12. Tiger finished birdie-birdie and is also in at -12. His round included 5 birdies and 13 pars. Rory birdied 18 and is in at -12 as well. His play was all over the map today. His round included 6 birdies, 4 bogies and and an eagle. Phil had 7 birdies and 2 bogies and is in at -8.

Phil decided to throw a little 10-birdie round at everybody and is the leader in the clubhouse at -16. He did have 2 bogies on the day. Vijay is still out on the course at -16 as well. Tiger started slowly with 4 bogies in the first 8 holes but has rallied nicely and is at -13. Rory is playing a ho-hum round and stands at -13 too. Adam Scott and Robert Garrigus each shot themselves into contention and are -14.

Four tied for the lead at -17 as they near the turn in Indiana. Dustin Johnson, Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy and Phil Mickelson. Tiger three strokes back.

Few hours away from attending my first Ryder Cup. Don't plan on sleeping much tonight.

They brought out the big guns in the morning foursomes and when the dust settled it was all square at 2 matches apiece.

Mickelson/Bradley took the measure of Donald/Garcia 4 and 3.
    Woods/Stricker edged Poulter/Rose 2 and 1.
    McIlroy/McDowell nipped Furyk/Snedeker 1 up.
    Westwood/Molinari tripped up Dufner/Johnson 3 and 2.

Afternoon four-ball matches are just getting underway. The pairings are:

Watson/Simpson vs. Lawrie/Hanson
    Mickelson/Bradley vs. McIlroy/McDowell
    Johnson/Kuchar vs. Rose/Kaymer
    Woods/Stricker vs. Westwood/Colsaerts

Maybe they are saving the Woods/McIlroy matchup for the last match on Sunday. Imagine if the Ryder Cup hung in the balance. Now, that is must-see TV.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Early returns in the afternoon are favorable.

Simpson/Watson 6 up thru 8.
    Mickelson/Bradley 3 up thru 7.
    Johnson Kuchar 2 up thru 5.
    Woods/Stricker AS thru 5.

Simpson/Watson and Mickelson/Bradley both take their matches. US up 4 -2 with two matches still on the course. Johnson/Kuchar are dormie* (SP?) thru 15. Woods/Stricker down 1 thru 16.

*Johnson/Kuchar are up 3 with 3 holes to play. The worst they can do is halve the match.

United States is intense this Ryder Cup.

Saturday morning foursomes:

Rose/Poulter squeak by Watson/Simpson 1 up.
    Bradley/Mickelson spank Westwood/Donald 7 and 6.
    Dufner/Johnson take down Colsaerts/Garcia 2 and 1.
    Furyk/Snedeker nip McIlroy/McDowell 1 up.

Saturday afternoon fourball is more of the same early as the US leads in three of the four matches. Woods/Stricker 2 down thru 3 still struggling.

Mickelson/Bradley has been a tremendous pairing. Woods/Stricker and McIlroy/McDowell not so much.

Wow. Tiger is out on the grounds following some of the early matches. Not sure if its a great idea but it seems he's making an effort at being a good teammate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Rory is barely making his tee time. Thought he teed off at 12:25 Central time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?