Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Golf Season Thread

Re: Official 2012 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    That random fan in the trophy ceremony was my favorite part.

It was kinda sad to see Furyk collapse like that...oh well, Simpson played some good weekend golf. I know the course was tough, but in those last groups you just kinda get the feeling nobody really played good. Looked like nerves got to a lot of them.
    That drive on 16th was pretty dramatic but it seemed like he had been flirting with disaster all day but had kept things just level enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tiger is done. He is done in the sense that he is no longer great. At this stage in his career he reminds me a lot of a Davis Love in his prime type of golfer. A guy who is in the discussion as a potential contender in the majors but someone who isn't heads and shoulders better than the competition. The problem Tiger is having is what once he was only able to do now all the younger golfers are able to do that. There was a time when there were only a few players on tour who were strong enough to hit some of the shots from the rough, or have enough club speed to hit the amazing chip shots. He also doesn't have the fear factor that he once had.

Tiger is good enough to win another major but I don't think Tiger is good enough to catch Jack. I don't know if Tiger has that burning desire to catch Jack anymore. I don't know if he has that desire to be great again.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tiger is done. He is done in the sense that he is no longer great. At this stage in his career he reminds me a lot of a Davis Love in his prime type of golfer. A guy who is in the discussion as a potential contender in the majors but someone who isn't heads and shoulders better than the competition. The problem Tiger is having is what once he was only able to do now all the younger golfers are able to do that. There was a time when there were only a few players on tour who were strong enough to hit some of the shots from the rough, or have enough club speed to hit the amazing chip shots. He also doesn't have the fear factor that he once had.

Tiger is good enough to win another major but I don't think Tiger is good enough to catch Jack. I don't know if Tiger has that burning desire to catch Jack anymore. I don't know if he has that desire to be great again.
    When tiger totally changed his swing, he has not been the same. I'm a decent golfer, usually break 80. I think I know the golf swing pretty well. I know enough to know you don't totally redo your swing after winning 14 majors. He said he had to to protect his knee. I don't know if this was his decision or he got bad advice. The knee problem was caused by his powerful swing and the torque he had on the knee. In other words his club head speed was to much for his knee to handle. The easiest thing to do was to just slow down your club head speed. You don't have to hit your driver 320. You don't have to hit your 5 iron 200 yards. There are things you can do to slow your club head speed. Use a a driver that is 10-15 grams heavier, your irons as well. Don't totally change the swing you have had all your life and has been the most successful swing in the world. Learn to swing easier. It can be done. Swinging easier will put less stress on your joints.

When you are in pressure situations as a golfer, your body will go back to what is more natural. He has not had this "new" swing for that long. It's not natural yet and may not ever be. This "new" swing has turned him into a average golfer on the PGA tour. For the life of me I don't know why you would change a swing that is not flawed but just a bit to powerful.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    When tiger totally changed his swing, he has not been the same.
    He's totally changed his swing 3 times as a professional. It improved the first time exponentially with Butch. Then, it got butchered by Hank. And now, it's getting back to being pretty good with Sean. It's not as good as it was 10 years ago with Butch, but it's a bazillion times better than it was recently with Hank.

When you are in pressure situations as a golfer, your body will go back to what is more natural. He has not had this "new" swing for that long. It's not natural yet and may not ever be.
    True. I call it golfer's DNA. You'll always revert back to what's most natural to you. Tiger is close to getting this swing to feel more natural, but I agree, it's not totally there yet.

This "new" swing has turned him into a average golfer on the PGA tour.
    It's not his "new" swing that turned him into an average golfer. Not even close. He's 1st in Total Driving and 10th in Greens in Regulation. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. His putting and sand play has been far below his standards.

For the life of me I don't know why you would change a swing that is not flawed but just a bit to powerful.
    Are you talking about his recent swing with Hank or his swing in the early 2000's with Butch? His swing was an unmitigated disaster with Hank Haney. A sloppy mess. His short game, putting, and solid iron play won him all the tournaments. He couldn't find a fairway to save his life.

I'm just wondering which swing you're talking about. The Hank or Butch swing? I'm still wondering why Tiger left Butch.

Think about this. What if Tiger didn't switch to Sean Foley? Imagine how bad he'd be if he was still with Hank spraying his tee shots all over the planet and now struggling with his short game. He'd miss almost every cut.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    When tiger totally changed his swing, he has not been the same. I'm a decent golfer, usually break 80. I think I know the golf swing pretty well. I know enough to know you don't totally redo your swing after winning 14 majors. He said he had to to protect his knee. I don't know if this was his decision or he got bad advice. The knee problem was caused by his powerful swing and the torque he had on the knee. In other words his club head speed was to much for his knee to handle. The easiest thing to do was to just slow down your club head speed. You don't have to hit your driver 320. You don't have to hit your 5 iron 200 yards. There are things you can do to slow your club head speed. Use a a driver that is 10-15 grams heavier, your irons as well. Don't totally change the swing you have had all your life and has been the most successful swing in the world. Learn to swing easier. It can be done. Swinging easier will put less stress on your joints.
    I disagree with the distance part of things. You need legnth in order to compete in today's game. Go walk around on the HS circuit or the amatuer ranks and you will find most if not all players can hit their driver 300+ and hit a 5 iron 220. Currently I sit around a 1 handicap and I hit my driver around 300 when the course isn't sopping wet and I can dial up a 5 iron to 200+ if need be. Legnth becomes a necessity when you need to hit a high shot into firm green. If you can hit your 8 iron 180 that ball is going to sit a lot quicker than a 6 iron.

I don't think Tiger's deimse is as much as it is his age and also his overall golf game. He doesn't look to have that mental fortitude that he once did. He isn't able to hit shots that only he could years ago. I was thinking about this the other day, but during Tiger's younger days he was playing with Colin Montgomery in the Masters. Montgomery was probably a top 10 golfer at the time and Tiger was bombing his 3 wood past Colin's driver. There were times in the British Open when Tiger would hit his stinger 2 iron off the tee 280 yards. In essence when Tiger was in his prime he was playing a different course than everyone else. Its a lot easier to be hitting middle to short irons to the greens when your competition is hitting long irons. If Im hitting a 8 iron and your hitting a 5 who do you think has better odds of getting it closer?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I disagree with the distance part of things. You need legnth in order to compete in today's game. Go walk around on the HS circuit or the amatuer ranks and you will find most if not all players can hit their driver 300+ and hit a 5 iron 220. Currently I sit around a 1 handicap and I hit my driver around 300 when the course isn't sopping wet and I can dial up a 5 iron to 200+ if need be. Legnth becomes a necessity when you need to hit a high shot into firm green. If you can hit your 8 iron 180 that ball is going to sit a lot quicker than a 6 iron.

I don't think Tiger's deimse is as much as it is his age and also his overall golf game. He doesn't look to have that mental fortitude that he once did. He isn't able to hit shots that only he could years ago. I was thinking about this the other day, but during Tiger's younger days he was playing with Colin Montgomery in the Masters. Montgomery was probably a top 10 golfer at the time and Tiger was bombing his 3 wood past Colin's driver. There were times in the British Open when Tiger would hit his stinger 2 iron off the tee 280 yards. In essence when Tiger was in his prime he was playing a different course than everyone else. Its a lot easier to be hitting middle to short irons to the greens when your competition is hitting long irons. If Im hitting a 8 iron and your hitting a 5 who do you think has better odds of getting it closer?
    In a nutshell, I agree. Tiger's swing really isn't holding him back. Age, injuries, inconsistent short game, and confidence are holding him back. Mainly what's between his ears.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Tiger has a 1 shot lead on the back 9 at the AT&T National.

Only player with 3 wins this year and it's only July 1. Also top the FedEx standings now. Just a matter of time until he wins a major.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2nd time breaking 70 in my life, first since 2003 (see attached image). The double bogey was a horrible, horrible break. Approach shot hit the lip of the bunker close to the green, and rolled all the way against the back lip. Had no shot.

The bogey on 14 was a bladed wedge into the hazard.

Missed a 4 foot birdie putt on 15, and an 8 foot birdie putt on 18. Lipped out my eagle putt on 16. Obviously very happy with the round, but it could have been more!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    2nd time breaking 70 in my life, first since 2003 (see attached image). The double bogey was a horrible, horrible break. Approach shot hit the lip of the bunker close to the green, and rolled all the way against the back lip. Had no shot.

The bogey on 14 was a bladed wedge into the hazard.

Missed a 4 foot birdie putt on 15, and an 8 foot birdie putt on 18. Lipped out my eagle putt on 16. Obviously very happy with the round, but it could have been more!
    Congrats!

Aaaand I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

Adam Scott...wow man.

There's no one I'd rather have seen won than Ernie Els. What an awesome day for golf.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I did not see that coming.

But good for Ernie. I've always liked him.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

That's a serious collapse. I was rooting for Els but I feel bad for Adam Scott. That's nuts...

Turn Off Ads?