Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Carpenter's status uncertain

Chris Carpenter's status uncertain

It seems that he has a problem and will miss his scheduled start today....the link below is vague on exactly what his problem is.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9bb30f31a.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: Chris Carpenter's status uncertain

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    It seems that he has a problem and will miss his scheduled start today....the link below is vague on exactly what his problem is.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9bb30f31a.html
    In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around-comes around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck.

Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter left camp Friday morning to seek a second opinion regarding persistent neck discomfort.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck.
    It sounds to me that it is more than just a pain in the neck. It may be a case of Father Time catching up with the old crybaby. I know he had some awsome starts late last year, but he was not effective AT ALL for most of last season.

OK, here's the obligatory...How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?? I'm surprised no one beat me to the "punch".

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan74 View Post
    OK, here's the obligatory...How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?? I'm surprised no one beat me to the "punch".
    I was just about to post that. It seems you beat me by a neck.

On a side note, Wainwright took his turn today, his 1st outing since the Tommy John. He was pretty sharp. No hits, 1 bb and 2K in his 3 innings.

The buzz around St. Louis is that the Cardinals are downplaying the severity of his malady, and that he is FAR from ready to pitch. (wouldn't want to slow down those season ticket sales, you know)

Personally, I think he's shot. He IS old and they worked him pretty hard last year. He rose to the occasion in October but that may have been his swan song.

Makes things yet a little more interesting in the Central, eh?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I read that, including the postseason, Carpenter threw 273+ innings. That is a ton for an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    The buzz around St. Louis is that the Cardinals are downplaying the severity of his malady, and that he is FAR from ready to pitch. (wouldn't want to slow down those season ticket sales, you know)

Personally, I think he's shot. He IS old and they worked him pretty hard last year. He rose to the occasion in October but that may have been his swan song.

Makes things yet a little more interesting in the Central, eh?
    Carpenter himself says he is fine and will be making his next start. I would be worried if it had something to do with his shoulder or elbow, as far as missed time.

Bernie Mikalasz was kind of worried about him, just because of his past. But I didn't hear any other "buzz" besides that.

Carpenter is kind of an enigma, he's either a total horse who pitches in the top 5 of the MLB in total innings, or he missed the entire year. It's either one or the other.

Personally I think he will be fine, a sore neck doesn't seem like a big deal. With any player they are going to be ultra conservative at this time of the year, makes no sense to do anything other then just let him rest until it goes away.

In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck.
    It sounds to me that it is more than just a pain in the neck. It may be a case of Father Time catching up with the old crybaby. I know he had some awsome starts late last year, but he was not effective AT ALL for most of last season.
    Carpenter had a mildly rough part in the early part of the season, but he was a stud last year overall. 3.45ERA for the entire season. The three months, including playoffs, he was possibly the most important player of the entire team (except for David Freese in the World Series)

So two question I guess. How was he "not effective AT ALL" for most of the season? What "buzz" have you heard?

Methinks you're kind of making some stuff up here.
    *11xWSChamps

2011 World Series Champs... GO CARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    Carpenter himself says he is fine and will be making his next start. I would be worried if it had something to do with his shoulder or elbow, as far as missed time.

Bernie Mikalasz was kind of worried about him, just because of his past. But I didn't hear any other "buzz" besides that.

Carpenter is kind of an enigma, he's either a total horse who pitches in the top 5 of the MLB in total innings, or he missed the entire year. It's either one or the other.

Personally I think he will be fine, a sore neck doesn't seem like a big deal. With any player they are going to be ultra conservative at this time of the year, makes no sense to do anything other then just let him rest until it goes away.

Carpenter had a mildly rough part in the early part of the season, but he was a stud last year overall. 3.45ERA for the entire season. The three months, including playoffs, he was possibly the most important player of the entire team (except for David Freese in the World Series)

So two question I guess. How was he "not effective AT ALL" for most of the season? What "buzz" have you heard?

Methinks you're kind of making some stuff up here.
    You DO remember that he lost his 1st 7 starts don't you? That's very un-Carplike. I know he had little run support, but his ERA was over 4.00 for most of the year.

The "buzz" is just that: unofficial murmerings of doom and gloom. May be nothing to it at all, but the guy IS old and coming off of grueling season. I don't really see his inevitable decline as that big a deal, really. If he has to sit the Cards will come up with some Westbrook type bum that can pitch .500 ball...just about what Carp did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I read that, including the postseason, Carpenter threw 273+ innings. That is a ton for an old man.
    The last time he pitched back to back season of 200+ innings (05 and 06), he needed surgery in 07 and only made three starts in 08.

He pitched 235 innings in 2010, 256 (including post-season) in 2011.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    The last time he pitched back to back season of 200+ innings (05 and 06), he needed surgery in 07 and only made three starts in 08.

He pitched 235 innings in 2010, 256 (including post-season) in 2011.
    VERY interesting

Apparently Carpenter has a bulging disk in his neck per MLBTR. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...als-soler.html
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Cards announced that Lance Lynn will join the rotation. He had some time last year, was fairly effective. They are down playing the disc problem, but time will tell. Seems to me that a slipped disc requires REST, and a lot of it for a professional athlete. I'm sure they want to avoid surgery if at all possible.

Can't say I would beupset if this ended his career. Only thing that would make it all better is if he took his catcher out with him.
    2012 is Going To Be a Great Year!!

Turn Off Ads?