Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fangraphs: Positional Power Rankings: RF

High five!

Fangraphs: Positional Power Rankings: RF

Here's the article.

Still, it’s tough to argue with what Bruce has done so far as he is about to enter just his age 25 season — 100 home runs, a career 109 wRC+, and 11.3 WAR in 2076 plate appearances.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fangraphs: Positional Power Rankings: RF

Wow, didn't really expect to see Bruce that high. I guess would you take Bruce, disregarding contracts, over Choo, Swisher, Either, or Cruz?

Odd seeing Ichiro ranked 25th.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wow, didn't really expect to see Bruce that high. I guess would you take Bruce, disregarding contracts, over Choo, Swisher, Either, or Cruz?

Yes. Probably. Yes. Yes.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Hard to believe he's basically the 4th best RF in the game all-around.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Not hard to believe: The above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    All he's missing is the consistent bat from being in the discussion as the top in the game.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Choo is probably the only one of those guys I would consider taking over Bruce, but even then, I think the age difference really tilts the decision in Bruce's favor. Choo is five years older than Bruce (29 to Bruce's 24), so I really think Bruce has the potential to surpass Choo over the next few years.

As for Ichiro, I agree that it's amazing how fast he declined. It will be interesting to see how he performs hitting third this year: Maybe a significant change in approach (hitting for power instead of focusing on getting on base) will revitalize him, or maybe, at 38 years old, he's just toast.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Choo is probably the only one of those guys I would consider taking over Bruce, but even then, I think the age difference really tilts the decision in Bruce's favor. Choo is five years older than Bruce (29 to Bruce's 24), so I really think Bruce has the potential to surpass Choo over the next few years.

As for Ichiro, I agree that it's amazing how fast he declined. It will be interesting to see how he performs hitting third this year: Maybe a significant change in approach (hitting for power instead of focusing on getting on base) will revitalize him, or maybe, at 38 years old, he's just toast.
    I would take Either and Choo over Bruce. Both have been more consistent offensive players than Bruce. Both are older but both have been more consisent than Bruce. If you look at it in a one year situation, with no age going forward or contracts involved I take Choo and Either over Bruce. Now if you want to talk about the future then I agree with the notion of Bruce being high.

I would take Either and Choo over Bruce. Both have been more consistent offensive players than Bruce. Both are older but both have been more consisent than Bruce. If you look at it in a one year situation, with no age going forward or contracts involved I take Choo and Either over Bruce. Now if you want to talk about the future then I agree with the notion of Bruce being high.
    Bruce and Ethier have been very similar offensive players the last two years. Factor in the defense, and it isn't even close: Bruce>Ethier.

2010-2011 WAR
    Bruce: 8.7
    Ethier: 5.1

The difference between Jay Bruce and Andre Ethier is the same as the difference between Bruce and a guy named Ryan Braun.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The difference between Jay Bruce and Andre Ethier is the same as the difference between Bruce and a guy named Ryan Braun.

Just kidding.

Now that 'roids are out of baseball for the most part we can used to the fact once again that players quickly decline once they hit the late 30s except for a very very few exceptional Aarons and Ted Williams of the world. No more 38, 39 and 40 y/o players raking at all star levels on nearly every team. Junior, Ichiro,etc we're seeing that age once again is a significant risk, even for exceptional talents, when considering players past 34-35. In the era of steroids we almost forgot that. Its hard to predict who will age well past that marker an who won't because both those are guys I think most would have looked at their body type and thought they might beat father time for a couple of seasons at least. With Junior the injuries got him but Ichiro is surprising. Makes those real long term contracts even more dangerous.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think Bruce will win his first gold glove this season. Thats where the weight loss is going to help him most IMO, not on the basepaths. Gold glove coming for Bruce in 2012.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

As for Ichiro, I agree that it's amazing how fast he declined.
    I have the opposite take: I'm surprised he's played as well as long, considering that speed is a huge part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I have the opposite take: I'm surprised he's played as well as long, considering that speed is a huge part of his game.
    Yeah, in one sense, it is amazing that he held up as well as he did for so long. I was referring more to the precipitous nature of his decline: He went from 4.5 WAR to .2 WAR in a single season. I would have expected a mediocre year or two in between his last good year and his first very poor year.

Incidentally, some writers still have hope for Ichiro this season. Perhaps he'll make a run at comeback player of the year in the AL.

Turn Off Ads?