Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

2012 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the tournament here instead of in IU, UC, UK, and OSU's threads.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

I think there may only be 3-4 schools with a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Everyone else is untalented or inconsistent.

Having said that, now watch somebody like Colorado go win the whole thing.

It's why it's the best sporting event of the year.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The first weekend of March Madness is the best sports drama there is all year. Its all anticlimactic from there as things start to get more predictable. Even that there will be at least one dark horse entry to the Elite Eight is almost predictable. The fun part of it is you just never know who that might be.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I think there may only be 3-4 schools with a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Everyone else is untalented or inconsistent.

Having said that, now watch somebody like Colorado go win the whole thing.

It's why it's the best sporting event of the year.
    Yeah, I mean lets be honest.... who saw UCONN and Butler playing in the finals last year? While I don't think there were the "elite" and then a big gap like there is perceived to be this year, I doubt many had either of those teams in the finals, much less both.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I love the tourney, and all it's little sub-plots. As a follower of both, and a fan of neither, I really hope UC plays Ohio State in the Sweet 16. Wow! What a game that could be. Not to mention UK v. IU and UK v. Duke as possibilities. X v. ND in the first round, What!? Jesuits v. Catholics. Possible Sweet 16 rematch of Louisville v. Michigan St. There are more, I'm sure. I just love this stuff.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

The WSJ has a blind bracket where you get a breakdown 5 or 6 key components and then you make your choice based upon that. My Final 4 was Witcha St, MSU, SU, and KU with Kansas winning it all.

I think the baksetball world would be shocked if Witcha St beat UK.

I like Cincinnati's draw. Sure we can go out and lose our 1st round game, but I think the matchup is still nice for us. We're so inconsistent that I have no faith in our ability to string some good games in a row, but I would love to get to the Sweet 16 for what would more than likely be a pretty cool matchup against the Buckeyes.

I'm not sure why people are saying Kentucky got a tough draw. Sure UCONN is a scary 8/9 seed, but they still aren't that good this year, and Kentucky is playing their first two games in Lville. Duke is easily the worst 2 seed, and Baylor at the 3 has struggled with most of the good teams they've played this year. Oh and Indiana at the 4 isn't bad at all, they're mainly just dangerous at home. I predict Kentucky to win the region with ease.

I think Long Beach State upsets Louisville, but I have Missouri winning that region. If the South and West play out that way, that's a scary matchup for UK in the FF imo.

I have no faith in Syracuse whatsoever, and if they get Vandy in the Sweet 16 it's a terrible matchup for them. If Florida State plays like they care I think them and OSU are the teams to beat there.

Not even sure how I feel about the Midwest. UNC or Kansas, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were someone else.

And I have Kentucky winning it all in my bracket...too much talent. Played pretty crappy in the SEC Tourn, but maybe they just got it out of their system.

GT as a 3 seed, is a whopping 3.5 point favorite vs Belmont.

Belmont, if they pull off the 1st rd upset, would also be favored in the next rd vs either NC State or SD ST, which btw, the 11 seed NC State is favored in that game.

This has to be the best 14 seed in the history of the tournament and has a legit chance of getting to the S16. 25.9% by kpom Log5, which is higher than Cincy, Murray St, SD ST, Temple, or ND.
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 03-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

The more I watch the NCAAs, the more I realize I don't know a darn thing.

I used to pride myself on knowing a lot about college hoops. But then my bracket always went down the toilet and the person that won made their picks based on which color uniform they liked more. So any more, I just watch the games and enjoy the stories.

A XU fan/co-worker was talking about how bad the Muskies were and how they had no shot and I told him that there is always one (or more) teams a year that look deader than a bloated possum on the side of the road and then something happens and they spring to life. Just when you think the tourney is predictable, that's when it bites you in the butt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Kentucky's bracket is the toughest, but its path to the Final Four is the easiest of the top seeds (if that makes any sense). UNC is the one who should feel jobbed. Kansas in St. Louis? In an elite eight matchup? Unfair. (Though, to be fair, either they or Duke almost always get this same advantage in most other tourneys.)

I'm drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, as both Ohio State and Michigan State play good enough defense to get to New Orleans. They need to shoot well, though, to get there. Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC, so I don't expect there to be a real problem in facing them, and I believe Syracuse's road in the bracket--Kansas State (who rebounds like madmen), Vandy (who can shoot from d-e-e-p and play athletically enough to drive around them), and either The Seminoles (if defense wins championships, they should at least be in the discussion) or the Buckeyes (exceptional defense, a penchant for tough play, and the rebounding of Sullinger and company)-- is a matchup nightmare for Boeheim.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Kentucky's bracket is the toughest, but its path to the Final Four is the easiest of the top seeds (if that makes any sense). UNC is the one who should feel jobbed. Kansas in St. Louis? In an elite eight matchup? Unfair. (Though, to be fair, either they or Duke almost always get this same advantage in most other tourneys.)

I'm drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, as both Ohio State and Michigan State play good enough defense to get to New Orleans. They need to shoot well, though, to get there. Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC, so I don't expect there to be a real problem in facing them, and I believe Syracuse's road in the bracket--Kansas State (who rebounds like madmen), Vandy (who can shoot from d-e-e-p and play athletically enough to drive around them), and either The Seminoles (if defense wins championships, they should at least be in the discussion) or the Buckeyes (exceptional defense, a penchant for tough play, and the rebounding of Sullinger and company)-- is a matchup nightmare for Boeheim.
    Drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, I like it!

I mentioned in the UK thread, I think they got the easiest draw of the top teams. Before the draw I thought there were a handful of teams who could play with and beat UK. The likes of Syrcuse, FSU, OSU, UNC, KU, and Georgetown. All those teams are on the complete other side of the bracket. They always could be upset, but I think the above teams would be very good basektball games if matched up against UK. I think you also have teams who play a difficult style and could jump up and bite you, and they really aren't in UK's bracket. Speaking of the South Bracket, I always feel kinda jobed when a mid major has to play a mid major in a 5-12 game.

As an OSU fan I am ok with the bracket. FSU is a tough matchup, but they play a familiar style of basektball. They seem to be everyone's darkhorse choice. Oftentimes those darkhorses falter. I don't know what to think of Syracuse. Their zone is troublesome and OSU doesn't have a great outside shooter, but I wonder how much a Thomas can be a zone buster, can hit the 3, is an offensive rebounding machine, and can score at will at times. I don't want to see UC just for the fact I don't want there to be a potential loss to UC. Don't want to hear the UC fans talking about OSU ducking them for all those years.

I have a feeling the National Champion will come from the UNC or Kansas winner. Could you imagine what would happen to the state if Indiana if they beat UK two times in one season? I highly doubt that will happen but it would be something to see. I also see a tough potential matchup with MSU. MSU will hit UK in the face and play a tough, physical type of game. Exactly the type of game UK could struggle with and hasn't seen much this season.

I'm not sold on the Spartans getting to New Orleans, I know that's crazy to say about an Izzo coached team. Memphis on the weekend is a rough matchup for a 1 seed, Memphis should be a 6. And Missouri is so impressive when you watch them...I think MSU would pound them on the boards, but I don't think they'd be able to keep up with the Missouri guards.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Three #1's and a #8 wound up being my Final Four. Chew on that one!

Kentucky and Syracuse in the finals.

part of BBN

If you forget the names on the jersey's and look at team play, I dont think UK's draw is the toughest. Duke for example is the weakest of the 2 seeds.
    Also....watchout for Memphis as a sleeper pick. Vandy could surprise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC.
    What is that supposed to mean? FSU can score points.

Turn Off Ads?