Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Does it even matter?

UC doesn't need OSU. I'd rather try to set up a home an home series with a team that might open up a new recruiting area (Florida, Texas, UCLA, etc.) because playing OSU doesn't provide any more exposure than it already has.

Ahhhhhh, so now were getting somewhere and someone gives the real reason, not some b.s. cop out about Cronin saying something about Matta explaining away a 44 year gap with a whole 1 game played.

And yeah it does matter, seeing as it's gonna be a main topic of discussion that two schools with a ton of bball tradition and success, that are extremely close in proximity, somehow never ever play.
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 03-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Yeah, that defense. In all seriousness, I don't think that Michigan State is as physical as the people on here make them out to be. It just seemed like they were getting called for a lot of borderline fouls (many of which were off the ball). FWIW, St. Louis shot 23 free throws and Michigan State shot 17 free throws (10 of which were in the final 75 seconds).

The games going on right now are good. Robbie Hummel is going off against Kansas. Purdue is up 36-30. Hummel has 22 points. Lehigh and Xavier are also in a close game. Cincy vs FSU just got underway as well.
    This MSU team doesn't have the "unskilled bruisers" that they usually run out there, but they still can rough you up.

With that said, no one does more for their team than Green. He orchestrates everything on the floor. He is very Tim Duncan like in that way, even though he isn't quite the same level of player.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    It was certainly very good for UL and helped them build their program even if they lose more often than not.
    Yeah, playing Kentucky helped build Louisville's program. Louisville was about to qualify for their fifth Final Four in 11 years (and third in four years) by beating Kentucky that day. They've been to two in the 29 years since the series re-started the next year. Thanks for the "help".

Getting the privilege of playing a team like UK home and home when you're in the Metro is a big, big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    So even if we buy all of that, what explains the gap between 1962 to 2005 when Mick wasnt even the HC at Cincy?
    I can't explain the gap from 1962-1992, but the Damon Flint ordeal largely explains 1993-2004 (ish).

Mick Cronin was believed to be the guy that ratted out Ohio State about Flint and Ohio State was not very happy about Cincinnati's willing participation in turning it in.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Hah, so you're being funny. Good one.

Ahhhhhh, so now were getting somewhere and someone gives the real reason, not some b.s. cop out about Cronin saying something about Matta explaining away a 44 year gap with a whole 1 game played.

And yeah it does matter, seeing as it's gonna be a main topic of discussion that two schools with a ton of bball tradition and success, that are extremely close in proximity, somehow never ever play.
    It's not BS. I'm not guessing on this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Getting the privilege of playing a team like UK home and home when you're in the Metro is a big, big deal.
    At the end of the day, they're both taxpayer-funded institutions. It shouldn't be a "privilege" for one to play the other, it should be a requirement in order to keep as much revenue in-state as possible.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It's not BS. I'm not guessing on this.
    Can you at least link an article about it? and like I said, it still does nothing to explain the pre Cronin era whatsoever.
    Newsflash!

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

I can see both sides. Coach Rupp believed that it would divide the state, and, in retrospect, he was right.

It was certainly very good for UL and helped them build their program even if they lose more often than not.
    Louisville was more relevant before playing UK, in the height of the Denny Crum era. UK and/or Patino hasn't exactly raised them to prominence.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Stop.

UK-UL home and home every year is good for both programs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Can you at least link an article about it? and like I said, it still does nothing to explain the pre Cronin era whatsoever.
    As far as I know, it doesn't exist in print. My perspective on the situation comes right from people involved when it all happened.

The involved parties... Thad, John, Mick, Tony, Yancy, etc... they all know what was said and such. If it existed in print, I'd gladly link you to an article.

Anyhow, as I said, I can't really explain why from 1962-1992 nothing happened. However, from 1993 onward, there have been plenty of reasons.

This lays out the timeline from 1993 to present a little better:

http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/201...ate-cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As far as I know, it doesn't exist in print. My perspective on the situation comes right from people involved when it all happened.

The involved parties... Thad, John, Mick, Tony, Yancy, etc... they all know what was said and such. If it existed in print, I'd gladly link you to an article.
    [/URL]
    Dont really know any other way to say this. If that happened, I have a hard time buying that not one reporter had a source or sources to cover the story and run with it. It would have been a huge story for any journalist, bc its juicy involving national programs and a highly rated recruit. I have a hard time buying that it happened and not one reporter managed to get the inside scoop and print it, but somehow a fan on a message board has inside knowledge of the story.
    Newsflash!

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Dont really know any other way to say this. If that happened, I have a hard time buying that not one reporter had a source or sources to cover the story and run with it. It would have been a huge story for any journalist, bc its juicy involving national programs and a highly rated recruit. I have a hard time buying that it happened and not one reporter managed to get the inside scoop and print it, but somehow a fan on a message board has inside knowledge of the story.
    I'm not a fan. I was covering it for a living (hence the articles I've linked to you). My perspective on this isn't as fan gossip. It's literally having seen and heard things while covering the recruiting process at the time all of it occurred. And for the record, I know several other journalists that are aware of the situation. Most of those recruiting stories are never put in print, though, for many, many reasons.

The person with the name Brutus the Pimp, is not a fan. Ok, If you say so
    Newsflash!

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Turn Off Ads?