Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

.500 since the Immaculate Conception and X wins a tourney game. Must've been praying a lot lately.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow the refs ruined the end of that Xavier / Notre Dame game. I was rooting for X but that was some brutal officiating. I would rather they left the game in the players' hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Wow the refs ruined the end of that Xavier / Notre Dame game. I was rooting for X but that was some brutal officiating. I would rather they left the game in the players' hands.
    What exactly is the rule on that? There were plenty of people in the lane already in front of him. Maybe that is the right call. I have no idea.

Great win for X. Amazing that a 15 seed stands between X and the Sweet Sixteen!

I've never understood that sentiment. The game was in the players' hands, and they decided it when they broke the rules. The NCAA seems to be making a point about that particular kind of lane violation and I'm glad they are.

Edit for texasdave: the player outside the 3 point arc can not break to the lane prior to the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I've never understood that sentiment. The game was in the players' hands, and they decided it when they broke the rules. The NCAA seems to be making a point about that particular kind of lane violation and I'm glad they are.
    Except everyone was doing it.

After seeing it called yesterday you would think most players/coaches would have made a mental note of it. Part of me hates having it called at the end of a game, but honestly if he missed the front end of that 1 and 1 and that guy commits an uncalled violation and grabs the offensive board it's pretty unfair.

Good win for Xavier...that was a wild day of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Good win for Xavier...that was a wild day of basketball.
    Perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I look at it less as "brutal officiating" and more karma finally catching up to that awful university.

BTW, I think the US could solve more than a few energy-independence issues by drilling Mike Brey's hair.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Edit for texasdave: the player outside the 3 point arc can not break to the lane prior to the shot.
    I don't think they broke the rules. The guy didn't cross the line until after the ball was released.

I don't think they broke the rules. The guy didn't cross the line until after the ball was released.
    Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2, Part G

Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow
    line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until
    the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw
    ends.

http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2, Part G

Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow
    line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until
    the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw
    ends.

http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf
    LOL they could call that on every single free throw every game. Why wait until a crucial free throw at the end of the game to call it? Ridiculous.

jredmo2

Call was correct, exact same call from yesterday in the Syracuse game. That being said, as a UC fan, it hurts to see XU with what looks like a fantastic path going forward.

LOL they could call that on every single free throw every game. Why wait until a crucial free throw at the end of the game to call it? Ridiculous.
    True enough.

jredmo2

True enough.
    I'm not so sure. Granted, it's something I NEVER pay attention to. But I probably will tomorrow. It's a specific, fairly easy to identify thing, the guy coming from the top before it hits the rim. Much easier call than a lane violation on the block.

EDIT: What I think is more interesting, considering the spirit of the argument, is the intentional foul called. Now that is foul that could potentially get called many times at the end of all of these games, but almost never is.
    Last edited by jredmo2; 03-17-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?