Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Charles Barkley was pretty hot about the calls at the end of the game on the postgame show. He even cussed he was so mad.

I thought the calls ruined what could have been an awesome finish to a great day of basketball. I was rooting for Xavier obviously, but I still thought it was bogus. A good official wouldn't have called the lane violation that had no effect on the play. Seems like he really wanted the spotlight on himself at the end. I am sure he will get a stern call from the head official, just like the officials in the Syracuse game. The NCAA wants the March Madness attention to be on the players and the teams, not the officials.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Charles Barkley was pretty hot about the calls at the end of the game on the postgame show. He even cussed he was so mad.

I thought the calls ruined what could have been an awesome finish to a great day of basketball. I was rooting for Xavier obviously, but I still thought it was bogus. A good official wouldn't have called the lane violation that had no effect on the play. Seems like he really wanted the spotlight on himself at the end. I am sure he will get a stern call from the head official, just like the officials in the Syracuse game. The NCAA wants the March Madness attention to be on the players and the teams, not the officials.
    But the rule is the rule. It wasn't a blown call. It's not like the head official can criticize a ref for making a correct call. That's more on the head official, if anything, for having such a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    But the rule is the rule. It wasn't a blown call. It's not like the head official can criticize a ref for making a correct call. That's more on the head official, if anything, for having such a rule.
    He can criticize him for allowing the violation all day, then calling it with 2 seconds left when it didn't affect the play. It is not like the player dashed in there and scored on an offensive rebound.

jredmo2

He can criticize him for allowing the violation all day, then calling it with 2 seconds left when it didn't affect the play. It is not like the player dashed in there and scored on an offensive rebound.
    Listen, I'm with you. I would have much rather seen that go uncalled and watched the rest of that game go down to the wire. But if that's the rule, that's the rule.

As to whether it goes uncalled all game until the last few minutes, you may very well be right. Like I said, I didn't pay attention (in the many, many games I watched these past two days) until it got called. So you might be right, probably are right, but I haven't personally noticed that call not get called yet.

I'll watch out for it tomorrow, but A) I bet teams have all noted not to do it, and B) it's St. Patty's day, so my powers of perception shall be diminished

Either way, great day of games, perhaps the best day ever. Glad things worked out for me that I could log the nearly 13 couch-hours to watch it all. Maybe not a point of pride, but what the hell, it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2, Part G

Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow
    line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until
    the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw
    ends.

http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf
    I remember hearing Chris Paul talk about this once. He said that he noticed a player on the team he was playing was constantly breaking that rule. He pointed it out and then the ref called it. Maybe the coaches pointed it out.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

It's allowed in the NBA, but not college. Which is perhaps why Charles was so angry. (Reggie Miller didn't understand it earlier either when he was railing against the exact same call.)

As to the particular call, it's the right one. Kentucky beat Mississippi State a couple years ago on a John Wall violation that was ignored.

I'm guessing this is a point of emphasis at the end of games for this tournament.

I'd like to see the evidence that it happened the entire game. I seriously doubt it. If it did, I expect someone will make a Youtube of other instances of the violation happening throughout the game.

Sorry, but that's either a coaching fail or a player fail, not an officiating fail. It just happened the night before!

The intentional foul call was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's allowed in the NBA, but not college. Which is perhaps why Charles was so angry. (Reggie Miller didn't understand it earlier either when he was railing against the exact same call.)
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing had Reggie known the rule and not incorrectly go on and on about it on air that there would not have been near the "controversy" about it afterwards. If you are going to commentate the NCAA Reggie, learn the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing had Reggie known the rule and not incorrectly go on and on about it on air that there would not have been near the "controversy" about it afterwards. If you are going to commentate the NCAA Reggie, learn the rules.
    You got to also think Reggie last played in college what 20-25 years ago? I am just conjecturing that he thought the rule was the same for NBA and NCAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Someone please kick me in the 'nads right now. That would feel better than losing my champion in the first round. I despise Duke. I have hated Duke since I was old enough to hate someone. This year I decided to pick someone other than Kentucky to win the tourney, since everyone was picking the obvious favorite. I figured I would choose Duke to win the tourney, then if I lost I would still be happy. So Coach K (Satan) decided to ruin my bracket in the very first round. I am now the fool who lost his championship pick in the very first freaking round. I hate Coach K now more than ever. I loathe Duke with every ounce of my soul. I didn't know it was possible to hate a team more than I hated Duke yesterday. Well guess what --- it is and I do. I HATE DUKE! I hate them so much I was rooting for them to lose even though it meant I would suffer the humiliation of losing my champion in their first game. I will gladly take last place in the bracket contest just so I can enjoy seeing Duke lose to the #15 seed that had never won an NCAA tourney game before. Duke my hatred burns for you with the fire of a thousand suns. Forever.

It is ironic that Duke managed to screw you to the max even though you hate them and picked 'em anyway. They could have at least won a few rds to help your bracket...

When asked who he thought was susceptible to an upset today, Bob Knight replied "The team from the SEC".

Jim Tressel must be giving him one-liners now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    When asked who he thought was susceptible to an upset today, Bob Knight replied "The team from the SEC".

Jim Tressel must be giving him one-liners now.
    Good grief....is that really what he said ?

Granted, it's something I NEVER pay attention to.
    Up until the other day it was something the NCAA or any referee with a modicum of common sense never paid attention too.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 03-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Then why don't they call the rule on a Thursday night in January when Seton Hall is playing Providence? Why wait until the last second of a key NCAA tourney game? Rediculous.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Then why don't they call the rule on a Thursday night in January when Seton Hall is playing Providence? Why wait until the last second of a key NCAA tourney game? Rediculous.
    Agree with you on this.

Turn Off Ads?