Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Good article...though this is decidedly untrue:

"Matta is otherwise a fountain of tranquility in this region. He used to coach Xavier and is still well regarded there "
    I chuckled at that.

I feel like that statement is true of Miller, but I don't here a lot of Thad fans when I'm down at Cintas.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good article...though this is decidedly untrue:

"Matta is otherwise a fountain of tranquility in this region. He used to coach Xavier and is still well regarded there "
    I also found this odd.

Columbus is conservative and truly Midwestern; Cincinnati is more of a loose river town with a Southern feel.
    I never found Columbus to be conservative, and there are a lot of adjectives I would come up with for Cincinnati before I reached "Loose."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why is that? Why has it been decades since UC and OSU played each other? I know you hvae more insight than I do.
    Here's an article wrote in 2006 that explains some of the history as to why they haven't played. There are some good hints as to some of the reasons...

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/601232.html

BTW, Mick knows exactly why Ohio State won't play his program despite what he tells people publicly.
    Last edited by Brutus; 03-19-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I follow very little basketball through the season and don't really start paying attention to much until March Madness. I've filled out brackets just for the heck of it for the last few years. Right now, my coworker and I are leading in our work's bracket pool by four points after the first two rounds. I guess it pays to not pay as much attention to anything...well, at least for now, LOL

Good job to the Ohio schools for getting four teams into the Sweet Sixteen!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Here's an article wrote in 2006 that explains some of the history as to why they haven't played. There are some good hints as to some of the reasons...

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/601232.html

BTW, Mick knows exactly why Ohio State won't play his program despite what he tells people publicly.
    Want to elaborate on the bolded, seeing as that article doesn't really give a "this is the reason why" but just speculates on a multitude of reasons?
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Want to elaborate on the bolded, seeing as that article doesn't really give a "this is the reason why" but just speculates on a multitude of reasons?
    This part isn't in the article, but it does have to do with recruiting and despite some comments earlier in this thread to the contrary, it's legit. It has to do with Mick making some unfounded accusations toward Matta on the recruiting trail.

What's worse is that it wasn't just the accusations, but that he was spinning the accusations in recruiting toward some of the effected recruits and their parents and embellished the circumstances.

Ohio State, to this day, isn't fond of Mick's role in the Damon Flint fiasco. However, I think Matta may have seen his way past that since it doesn't impact him one way or another. However... Mick went around shooting his mouth off behind the scenes about other things, and that didn't endear himself to the Ohio State staff/administration.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Vegas lines...

North Carolina 10.5 over Ohio
    Kentucky 9 over Indiana
    Kansas 8 over NC State
    Ohio State 7.5 over Cincinnati
    Baylor 6 over Xavier
    Michigan State 4.5 over Louisville
    Syracuse 4 over Wisconsin
    Marquette 1.5 over Florida

If I were a betting man...........

Vegas lines...

North Carolina 10.5 over Ohio
    Kentucky 9 over Indiana
    Kansas 8 over NC StateOhio State 7.5 over Cincinnati
    Baylor 6 over Xavier
    Michigan State 4.5 over Louisville
    Syracuse 4 over WisconsinMarquette 1.5 over Florida

The only one I am hesitant with is MSU and Louisville. I would take moneyline on Florida because they way they are playing. Confidence picks, using the spreads, would be 1. UK 2. UNC 3. OSU.

My reticence toward betting lines continues. I think there's about a 50% chance UK wins by more than 10, 20-30% chance they win by less than 10 and a 20-30% chance IU wins outright. I guess that means the line is properly set but I wouldn't get near it with a 10 foot pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    This part isn't in the article, but it does have to do with recruiting and despite some comments earlier in this thread to the contrary, it's legit. It has to do with Mick making some unfounded accusations toward Matta on the recruiting trail.

What's worse is that it wasn't just the accusations, but that he was spinning the accusations in recruiting toward some of the effected recruits and their parents and embellished the circumstances.

Ohio State, to this day, isn't fond of Mick's role in the Damon Flint fiasco. However, I think Matta may have seen his way past that since it doesn't impact him one way or another. However... Mick went around shooting his mouth off behind the scenes about other things, and that didn't endear himself to the Ohio State staff/administration.
    So even if we buy all of that, what explains the gap between 1962 to 2005 when Mick wasnt even the HC at Cincy?
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

CBS needs to bring back John Tesh to get to the heart of this matter. Go to the 40 second mark of this video where he proves he's the hard-hitting journalist necessary to cover this type of story: Louisville vs Kentucky 1983 pre-game interviews - YouTube

CBS needs to bring back John Tesh to get to the heart of this matter. Go to the 40 second mark of this video where he proves he's the hard-hitting journalist necessary to cover this type of story: Louisville vs Kentucky 1983 pre-game interviews - YouTube
    29-14 all-time now... be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

No matter who wins or loses, it was idiotic to not have that game played every year. Some truly epic potential battles were lost in the 70s and early 80s.

No matter who wins or loses, it was idiotic to not have that game played every year. Some truly epic potential battles were lost in the 70s and early 80s.
    I can see both sides. Coach Rupp believed that it would divide the state, and, in retrospect, he was right.

It was certainly very good for UL and helped them build their program even if they lose more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    So even if we buy all of that, what explains the gap between 1962 to 2005 when Mick wasnt even the HC at Cincy?
    Does it even matter?

UC doesn't need OSU. I'd rather try to set up a home an home series with a team that might open up a new recruiting area (Florida, Texas, UCLA, etc.) because playing OSU doesn't provide any more exposure than it already has.

Turn Off Ads?