Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 490

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

  1. #301
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    The person with the name Brutus the Pimp, is not a fan. Ok, If you say so
    You're not listening to what I'm telling you.

    Did you see the bylines on the articles that I linked? Notice anything in common?

    One was from 2006, one was from today. Now put two and two together and try to figure out why I picked the ones I did...

    If you want to haggle over whether you think I'm a fan, you're missing the big picture of how and why I know the things I do. Do some research. You might figure it out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #302
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    What would OSU stand to gain from playing UC? OSU thinks of themselves as the superior athletic school in the state and they don't want to do anything to jeopardize that in a sport where they will probably lose a number of these games (unlike football). It seems like a simple PR decision.

    Now, the incidents mentioned in the articles Brutus referenced certainly have not helped matters. However, OSU has always seen itself as the big brother in the state and it won't do anything to lessen that claim.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  4. #303
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You're not listening to what I'm telling you.

    Did you see the bylines on the articles that I linked? Notice anything in common?

    One was from 2006, one was from today. Now put two and two together and try to figure out why I picked the ones I did...

    If you want to haggle over whether you think I'm a fan, you're missing the big picture of how and why I know the things I do. Do some research. You might figure it out.
    I didn't realize that writing articles about OSU excluded someone with a SN of BrutusthePimp from being an OSU fan.....now put two and two together and process that one.

    And again, like i said, that would have been a huge story that someone, maybe even you at the time, could have written. You didnt, for whatever reason that may have been. No one else wrote it either afaik. Without someone actually reporting on whatever direct comments were made, just throwing out "I heard blah blah" and then not even saying directly what "blah blah" you heard is pretty weak, to then come back years later and cite it as some definitive truth with out even saying what was said.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  5. #304
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What would OSU stand to gain from playing UC? OSU thinks of themselves as the superior athletic school in the state and they don't want to do anything to jeopardize that in a sport where they will probably lose a number of these games (unlike football). It seems like a simple PR decision.
    So again, this sounds a lot more like the real reason.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  6. #305
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    I didn't realize that writing articles about OSU excluded someone with a SN of BrutusthePimp from being an OSU fan.....now put two and two together and process that one.

    And again, like i said, that would have been a huge story that someone, maybe even you at the time, could have written. You didnt, for whatever reason that may have been. No one else wrote it either afaik. Without someone actually reporting on whatever direct comments were made, just throwing out "I heard blah blah" and then not even saying directly what "blah blah" you heard is pretty weak, to then come back years later and cite it as some definitive truth with out even saying what was said.
    Why don't you stop to consider how I knew such things, figure out where I got the information from, and then perhaps it will make more sense why myself or others wouldn't put it in print. Do you think it might have something to do with off-the-record conversations or preserving relationships?

    It would have made for a nice gossip column, but there wasn't much that could have been done with the story. Even if the story wound up to be bigger, i.e. uncovering there was some truth to the allegations (which were, in my opinion, petty to begin with), the best result for anyone in that situation was alienating all of their best contacts. Does that sound like a winning proposition?

    In my experience, almost never does a journalist write about recruiting allegations. When the Chicago Sun Times wrote about Anthony Davis' alleged $200,000 payment, it was one of the few times something I've heard from reputable people was actually reported. Usually reporters stay far away from that stuff because of the sensitive nature of the subject.

    I find it rather narrow-minded that you're basically suggesting that because of my screen name, "Brutus the Pimp," being suggestive that I follow Ohio State, thereby you're ignoring the possibility what I'm saying has merit.

    The most ironic thing about it all: I covered Ohio State for six years, but some of my best information about this came from my time as the co-publisher of Bearcat Insider covering Cincinnati in 2005-2006.

    If you want to dismiss everything I'm saying because I elected to have a play-on-words with Ohio State's mascot, do so at your prerogative. However, seems like a pretty silly reason to discredit something.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  7. #306
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    So again, this sounds a lot more like the real reason.
    It sounds like it's what you want most to hear.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #307
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,815

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    All three teams that are wearing those hideous Adidas uniforms are still around. Baylor, Cincy and Louisville. I think.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  9. #308
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not a fan.
    But you are. That's the whole reason why I brought it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Why don't you stop to consider how I knew such things, figure out where I got the information from, and then perhaps it will make more sense why myself or others wouldn't put it in print. Do you think it might have something to do with off-the-record conversations or preserving relationships?


    It would have made for a nice gossip column, but there wasn't much that could have been done with the story.
    Even if the story wound up to be bigger, i.e. uncovering there was some truth to the allegations (which were, in my opinion, petty to begin with), the best result for anyone in that situation was alienating all of their best contacts. Does that sound like a winning proposition?

    In my experience, almost never does a journalist write about recruiting allegations. When the Chicago Sun Times wrote about Anthony Davis' alleged $200,000 payment, it was one of the few times something I've heard from reputable people was actually reported. Usually reporters stay far away from that stuff because of the sensitive nature of the subject.

    I find it rather narrow-minded that you're basically suggesting that because of my screen name, "Brutus the Pimp," being suggestive that I follow Ohio State, thereby you're ignoring the possibility what I'm saying has merit.

    The most ironic thing about it all: I covered Ohio State for six years, but some of my best information about this came from my time as the co-publisher of Bearcat Insider covering Cincinnati in 2005-2006.

    If you want to dismiss everything I'm saying because I elected to have a play-on-words with Ohio State's mascot, do so at your prerogative. However, seems like a pretty silly reason to discredit something.
    If its off the record convos, why are you referencing them on a message board? More importantly, the fact you say it would've made a "nice gossip column" really gives a ton of credence to what you are claiming. yes lolwiki, but


    A gossip columnist is someone who writes a gossip column in a newspaper or magazine, especially a gossip magazine. Gossip columns are material written in a light, informal style, which relates the gossip columnist's opinions about the personal lives or conduct of celebrities from show business (motion picture movie stars, theater, and television actors), politicians, professional sports stars, and other wealthy people or public figures. Some gossip columnists broadcast segments on radio and television.

    The columns mix factual material on arrests, divorces, marriages and pregnancies, obtained from official records, with more speculative gossip stories, rumors, and innuendo about romantic relationships, affairs, and purported personal problems.

    Gossip columnists have a reciprocal relationship with the celebrities whose private lives are splashed about in the gossip column's pages. Of course, some gossip columnists can engage in borderline defamatory conduct, spreading innuendo about alleged immoral or illegal conduct that can injure celebrities' reputations. Yet at the same time, gossip columnists are also an important part of the "Star System" publicity machine that turns movie actors and musicians into celebrities and superstars that are the objects of the public's obsessive attention and interest. The publicity agents of celebrities often provide or "leak" information or rumors to gossip columnists to publicize the celebrity or their projects, or to counteract "bad press" that has recently surfaced about their conduct.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip_columnist

    Again, as I said you're a fan. You are and thats ok. It's a pretty simple and logical inference that someone with the name BrutusThePimp as a name and has a high # of posts in the OSU football and basketball threads is a fan of the team. You also happen to write articles about OSU. That's cool too. It's not that difficult to follow.
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 03-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  10. #309
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    But you are. That's the whole reason why I brought it up.



    If its off the record convos, why are you referencing them on a message board? More importantly, the fact you say it would've made a "nice gossip column" really gives a ton of credence to what you are claiming. yes lolwiki, but



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip_columnist

    Again, as I said you're a fan. You are and thats ok. It's a pretty simple and logical inference that someone with the name BrutusThePimp as a name and has a high # of posts in the OSU football and basketball threads is a fan of the team. You also happen to write articles about OSU. That's cool too. It's not that difficult to follow.
    Yet instead of debating whether what I'm saying is true, you're spending your time worrying about whether or not I'm a fan. You familiar with a red herring?

    The issue isn't whether I'm a fan, the issue is why Thad Matta elects not to play Mick Cronin's team(s). You continue to harp on this subject of whether I'm a fan when it has no bearing on the actual issue. So why are you so hellbent on bringing it up?

    I promise my knowledge on this isn't gossip. My point is that these recruiting allegations would never be confirmed publicly [emphasis added on publicly], so reporting it was pointless. As to why I'm bringing it up now, it's been five years since it all happened, so citing it on a message board isn't really causing a stir.

    You can choose to believe me or not. While you're busying trying to argue a pointless, irrelevant topic, I'm trying to stick to the actual subject. All you're doing is trying to discredit something on the grounds of a meaningless fact.

    My perspective on this has been confirmed by people as close as it gets to the situation. Again, you can sit here and waste our time with your red herrings, but it's totally irrelevant. I've already removed the anonymity from what I'm saying and given you an opportunity to search who I am and why I might know things. I'm not just some anonymous person on a message board that can make things up while hiding behind said anonymity. I've removed that from the equation for you, and yet here you are challenging me about a screename. It's really silly if you get right down to it.

    I'm not anonymous and I'm putting my name out there to show you I am fully behind what I'm saying. If you want to combat that based on having "brutus" in my name, then clearly you have nothing better to debate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  11. #310
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    I hate to be "that guy," but I think this conversation would be better off in the UC or OSU basketball threads, or not happening all together. Its been done before, and is not really related to the NCAA tournament, but rather the two schools themselves.

  12. #311
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I hate to be "that guy," but I think this conversation would be better off in the UC or OSU basketball threads, or not happening all together. Its been done before, and is not really related to the NCAA tournament, but rather the two schools themselves.
    If you hate to be that guy, then don't be that guy. Ohio State and Cincinnati are playing one another in the NCAA Tournament, so I think it's completely relevant. I'll never understand why people that are taking no part in the conversation take it upon themselves to complain about a conversation they don't care about.

    Besides, there aren't any tournament games until Thursday, so it's doubtful there would be too much activity until then.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  13. #312
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If you hate to be that guy, then don't be that guy. Ohio State and Cincinnati are playing one another in the NCAA Tournament, so I think it's completely relevant. I'll never understand why people that are taking no part in the conversation take it upon themselves to complain about a conversation they don't care about.

    Besides, there aren't any tournament games until Thursday, so it's doubtful there would be too much activity until then.
    uh oh, we agree on something
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  14. #313
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As far as I know, it doesn't exist in print. My perspective on the situation comes right from people involved when it all happened.

    The involved parties... Thad, John, Mick, Tony, Yancy, etc... they all know what was said and such. If it existed in print, I'd gladly link you to an article.

    Anyhow, as I said, I can't really explain why from 1962-1992 nothing happened. However, from 1993 onward, there have been plenty of reasons.

    This lays out the timeline from 1993 to present a little better:

    http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/201...ate-cincinnati
    That was a great story. I love the idea of seeing Huggins at OSU.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  15. #314
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    And again, this is the thing. And this is gonna end up coming off like a personal attack, but its not exactly like SBnation is the most objective places for any type of reporting.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121706202.html

    Most sports reporters cover games from the press box. The perch typically provides a view of the entire field of play and quick access to post-game press conferences with coaches and players.

    SB Nation bloggers prefer the bleachers.

    It's a fitting seat for the legion of team die-hards powered by a common blogging software. The writers have no qualms about marrying fandom with fact-finding as they report on their favorite professional and college teams.

    "From an editorial perspective, we put all of our emphasis on being by, of and for the fan," said chief executive Jim Bankoff. "Unlike a lot of other outlets, we will embrace bias and check objectivity at the door. We believe that spectator sports are about being subjective, not objective."
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  16. #315
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    And again, this is the thing. And this is gonna end up coming off like a personal attack, but its not exactly like SBnation is the most objective places for any type of reporting.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121706202.html
    I don't consider it a personal attack, though I do consider it another red herring. I write for that site as a favor to the publisher in helping trying to get his site off the ground. My employment in the industry comes from spending several years employed by Scout.com (a subsidiary of Fox Sports), during which time I was a voting member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

    If you don't want to believe me just because you don't believe it, fine. But you're barking up the wrong tree if the premise is because you're challenging my comments about not being a fan, which were made in a much different context then what you're now discussing.

    What doesn't make sense to me... you seem to be insinuating that I made all this up because I'm an Ohio State fan and thus dislike Cincinnati. If that were the case, why wouldn't I just accuse Cincinnati of cheating and Ohio State not playing them for that reason? I'm not accusing Cincinnati of cheating, I'm accusing Cincinnati of the accusations that Ohio State committed an (albeit somewhat small) recruiting violation. That seems like something trivial to bother making up, doesn't it?

    If it were me, and I were Thad Matta, I'd say screw it and want to pound Mick into submission. I don't agree with avoiding Cincinnati. I thought it was petty when Kentucky avoided Louisville for 4 1/2 decades and I think it's petty for Ohio State to avoid Cincinnati. But I'm just telling you the reasons they don't play rather than saying I agree with them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25