Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I like the fact that they hang banners at UC for NCAA appearances and other things than winning it all. It marks an achievement and I don't think it should be all about winning it all. I think the Reds achieved soomething by winning their division a couple yrs ago even though they came nowhere near winning it all. On the amatuer level I feel even more strongly that achievements short of a championship should be honored and recognized
    On the amateur level most assuredly. No problem at all with that. If I was Nichols State I would hang a 'We beat Missouri in the 2012 NCAA Tournament' banner. Same with Lehigh beating Duke. For some programs, games like that are something to be especially proud of. Realistically, that is about the most those teams can accomplish given the disparity in resources, etc.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-20-2012 at 09:27 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    On the amateur level most assuredly. No problem at all with that. If I was Norfolk State I would hang a 'We beat Missouri in the 2012 NCAA Tournament' banner. Same with Lehigh beating Duke. For some programs, games like that are something to be especially proud of. Realistically, that is about the most those teams can accomplish given the disparity in resources, etc.

Speaking of banners, who can spot the error/misleading info of this banner lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Speaking of banners, who can spot the error/misleading info of this banner lineup?

It's funny that the first banner doesn't have NCAA on it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It's funny that the first banner doesn't have NCAA on it.
    Yeah, UK actually has 10 National Championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The whole concept of "made a Final Four" or "Road to the Final Four" seems incredibly silly to me.

They don't hang banners in baseball just for making it to the NLCS / ALCS, and you aren't going to write "Played in 4 NFC title games" on your bust in Canton.

Championships? Crow a ton. Championship game appearances? Sure, I guess. Making the semi-finals? Find something better to brag about.

I guess CBS marketing has sort of made this a moot issue, but it's always bothered me.
    They hang banners for winning your division or winning a wild card, which is essentially the same thing as making it to the NLCS/ALCS, or reaching the NFL playoffs.

If any other sport had a similar tournament format, you can bet the teams that advanced would be proud of advancing, and would commemorate it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Because recruiting stories are so common? What happens in recruiting usually stays in recruiting. Very seldom does one program want to open up that can of worms, knowing they might be next. Anyone paying attention at the time knew about the situation and how bad it smelled when he ended up at UC. Also keep in mind that this was nearly 20 years ago and a lot has changed in sports journalism and media outlets, so that may color your expectations.
    I wasnt talking about the Damon Flint stuff from 93. I was talking about the "oh mick made controversial remarks about Thad while recruiting Yancy" which I've never seen brought up anywhere other than an OhST fan who writes for SB nation, a site that openly advertises that fans of their own team will be reporting in a non objective manner, was speculating on an unsubstantiated rumor as if this definitively occurred.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

To be fair, the post you're referring to specifically said "before Thad Matta arrived". Do your numbers include the Thad Matta yrs?...because they shouldn't
    I don't know that there would be a huge difference in all time percentage. While Thad has taken the program to another level, it isn't like it wasn't a successful program and was consistently in the hunt for Big 10 Championships, heck, since Eldon Miller arrived to revive the program that Taylor had let rot on the vine.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    I wasnt talking about the Damon Flint stuff from 93. I was talking about the "oh mick made controversial remarks about Thad while recruiting Yancy" which I've never seen brought up anywhere other than an OhST fan who writes for SB nation, a site that openly advertises that fans of their own team will be reporting in a non objective manner, was speculating on an unsubstantiated rumor as if this definitively occurred.
    I see, thanks for clarifying.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Yeah, UK actually has 10 National Championships.
    Yea, I knew UNC counted those Helms trophy championships as national champions. At best they were a mythical championship like football had before the BCS.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yea, I knew UNC counted those Helms trophy championships as national champions. At best they were a mythical championship like football had before the BCS.
    The NCAA Men's Basketball Championship started in 1939(?). Before that the NIT was the measuring stick. But they had polls back in those days, and alot of the media sources did award championships to who they deemed #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The NCAA Men's Basketball Championship started in 1939(?). Before that the NIT was the measuring stick. But they had polls back in those days, and alot of the media sources did award championships to who they deemed #1.
    I can't say exactly when the tipping point was, but even after 1939, the NIT was considered the more prestigious tournament. Probably not till the mid-50's and Bill Russell's San Francisco Dons in '55-'56 and then the '57 triple OT game between NC and Kansas (with Wilt Chamberlain).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know that there would be a huge difference in all time percentage.
    Probably, but can you say the same about NCAA appearances?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The whole concept of "made a Final Four" or "Road to the Final Four" seems incredibly silly to me.

They don't hang banners in baseball just for making it to the NLCS / ALCS, and you aren't going to write "Played in 4 NFC title games" on your bust in Canton.

Championships? Crow a ton. Championship game appearances? Sure, I guess. Making the semi-finals? Find something better to brag about.

I guess CBS marketing has sort of made this a moot issue, but it's always bothered me.
    I actually agree with you on that, but I only cited it because it seems fans seem to buy into the idea that Final Fours dictate the success of a program.

If you think about it, citing a Final Four is saying "hey, we lost a game later than you did!"
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

To be fair, the post you're referring to specifically said "before Thad Matta arrived". Do your numbers include the Thad Matta yrs?...because they shouldn't

Ohio State was still a better program than Xavier historically before Matta arrived. Xavier has made the tournament just as many times as Ohio State since Matta got there (remember Matta's first team was ineligible for the tournament and in 2008 they were in the NIT). In fact, Xavier has made the NCAA Tournament six times since Matta left; Ohio State five times. The winning percentage would go down ever so slightly, but Xavier's has been pretty dang good in the past 5-6 years too, so theirs would also go down. The end result is the same even if we ignore the Matta-era for Xavier and Ohio State.
    Last edited by Brutus; 03-20-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?