Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: NFL Salary Cap

  1. #16
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    But the league handed down the punishment. It's not just Jones that has a gripe. I'm sure Dan Snyder isn't happy, either.

    Could you imagine if this happened in baseball. The league owners put in an "unwritten" rule to keep teams from spending (paying players)? The NFLPA is a very weak union, and the NFL owners just trampled them again.


    I hope the Saints are ready for their punishment for the bounty system. My guess is that it's going to be brutal.
    As a Reds fan I would love to see Goddell as the commish. He acts in the best interest of all 32 teams, not a particular small amount of geographic teams.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,545

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's that supposed to mean?
    It means that for everyone who wants a salary cap in baseball, it doesn't keep a team in the largest market in the country from winning it all - again.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #18
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,859

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Oh ... and according to ProFootballTalk.com ... here's why the NFLPA turned a blind eye to the collusion:
    That, and the fact that the players in question did get paid, probably more up-front cash than if the contracts had been structured to the NFL's liking. Add that to the other teams' caps being raised to compensate for the hit the Cowboys and Redskins took, and there's nothing to fight over here from the players' perspective.

    Okay, there's that collusion thing, but sometimes you have to pick your battles.
    Not all who wander are lost

  5. #19
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,859

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It means that for everyone who wants a salary cap in baseball, it doesn't keep a team in the largest market in the country from winning it all - again.
    A cap isn't supposed to be about preventing big-market teams from winning, ever. Just about giving the smaller markets a fair chance to win, too. No one seems to mind New York winning when Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans and Indianapolis have also won recently.
    Not all who wander are lost

  6. #20
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,624

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It means that for everyone who wants a salary cap in baseball, it doesn't keep a team in the largest market in the country from winning it all - again.
    ????

    First of all the Giants weren't the biggest spenders. Those were the Cowboys and Redskins as we just found out, but if you want to look at markets, fine. The Giants won this year and 4 yrs ago. In between there were championships from the vast markets of Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. Before then it was Indianapolis. Clearly market size isn't a common denominator in these championships.

    Salcaps shouldn't be in place to prevent a large market fronm ever winning. It should be in place in order to spread out the winning to all sorts of markets and it's done exactly that

  7. #21
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Announcing the punishment the day before free agency was a little extra twist of the knife to the sides of Snyder and Jones.

    The Skins and Dallas refused to go along with a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" agreement (if it were in writing, it would've been clearly illegal). The other owners were mad that the bad boys didn't play ball with their little collusive scheme and demanded satisfaction from Goodell.

    Never mind that all contracts were certified by the NFL at the time they were submitted. Wouldn't that have been the time to do something? Just void the contracts. But that couldn't happen, because no official rules were broken.

    This whole thing stinks. I bet Mike Brown had something to do with it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,834

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    This is how I understand what's going on, and if I'm correct then the Redskins and Cowboys deserved their sanctions.

    Since last year was an uncapped year they front loaded a lot of deals and cut players/restructured deals to take the cap hit on a year that it wouldn't hurt them. They were told several times that doing this would be unwise since the next CBA would have provisions allowing the NFL to recoup the cap that was 'cheated'. So essentially the Redskins tried to cheat the cap to gain an advantage over other teams, even after being told it wouldn't be allowed, and now they're paying for it. Sounds fair to me, and Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder voted in favor of the latest CBA.

    When I look at a team like the Steelers, they could have done the same kind of work last year to get some cap room this year, but instead they played by the rules and are having to make some tough cuts right now as a result.

    I could be wrong here, but if my understanding is correct then I don't know how those two teams have any room to complain about this.

  9. #23
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    This is how I understand what's going on, and if I'm correct then the Redskins and Cowboys deserved their sanctions.

    Since last year was an uncapped year they front loaded a lot of deals and cut players/restructured deals to take the cap hit on a year that it wouldn't hurt them. They were told several times that doing this would be unwise since the next CBA would have provisions allowing the NFL to recoup the cap that was 'cheated'. So essentially the Redskins tried to cheat the cap to gain an advantage over other teams, even after being told it wouldn't be allowed, and now they're paying for it. Sounds fair to me, and Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder voted in favor of the latest CBA.

    When I look at a team like the Steelers, they could have done the same kind of work last year to get some cap room this year, but instead they played by the rules and are having to make some tough cuts right now as a result.

    I could be wrong here, but if my understanding is correct then I don't know how those two teams have any room to complain about this.
    Then why weren't the offending contracts voided at the time? There were no official "rules," as I understand it, because such an agreement would've been illegal. Snyder and Jones went rogue and I'm sure that upset the other owners, but I don't see where the punishment is justified.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  10. #24
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    The season was uncapped. There was no cap. Teams stayed under a cap the year before, and the year after, but in the year of no cap, they spent what they wanted. There was nothing in the then-extant CBA that could have been used to penalize them for this. Hell, there was nothing in the next CBA, even though that would have been an ex post facto law, and illegal under any constitution worth its salt. So even if the NFL warned Washington and Dallas not to do what they were doing, Snyder's and Jones's lawyers would have pretty quickly concluded that there was to harm in using a loophole, and no risk either.
    http://deadspin.com/5892791/in-the-n...and-the-tyrant

    EDIT: Sorry, there's some NSFW language in the article. Just a heads-up.
    Last edited by RichRed; 03-13-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,834

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Then why weren't the offending contracts voided at the time? There were no official "rules," as I understand it, because such an agreement would've been illegal. Snyder and Jones went rogue and I'm sure that upset the other owners, but I don't see where the punishment is justified.
    I honestly don't know, I don't understand the NFL salary cap that much to be honest, just going by what I've read.

    I guess it wasn't illegal, but they still have to take the cap hit that they tried to avoid?

  12. #26
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,778

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    The uncapped year meant you could spend whatever you wanted for that year, but it didn't give them the right to assign future salaries to the uncapped year. The Cowboys and Redskins attempted to game the system and exploit a perceived loophole to give them a dishonest edge over the rest of the league in future capped seasons.

  13. #27
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The uncapped year meant you could spend whatever you wanted for that year, but it didn't give them the right to assign future salaries to the uncapped year. The Cowboys and Redskins attempted to game the system and exploit a perceived loophole to give them a dishonest edge over the rest of the league in future capped seasons.
    But as you can see from the little chart in the article, they weren't the only ones who did this. And again, the contracts should've been voided two years ago if they were against the CBA.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  14. #28
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Doesn't seem as though this is over.

    Cowboys, Redskins exploring all options


    Suing over what essentially was a refusal to engage in collusion would confirm that the NFL was indeed engaged in collusion in the months preceding the 2011 lockout.
    More importantly, the Redskins and Cowboys would be accusing their partners of corrupt, improper business practices. With the intense coverage that the NFL now enjoys, a legal fight featuring two arch rivals coming together and suing the entire league for meting out punishment for refusing to participate in inappropriate business practices against the players would attract much unwanted attention for the NFL.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  15. #29
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,624

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    I don't think it's news that they're exploring options. They'd be idiots not to but that doesn't mean it'll go anywhere

  16. #30
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: NFL Salary Cap

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think it's news that they're exploring options. They'd be idiots not to but that doesn't mean it'll go anywhere
    It probably won't. Not sure Jones and Snyder want to "pull an Al Davis." As absurd as the penalty is, the league covered its bases pretty well on this one.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25