Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Another multi-situation Stanton trade thread.....

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Another multi-situation Stanton trade thread.....

Thought I'd get the laughs out of the way first. I know so many of you are tired of these Stanton trade threads. So I apologize in advance. My suggestion is to move on if it's boring you.

I was driving along thinking about all the years you'd see the Reds invite all these retread guys to Spring Training, who'd have a legit shot at making the team. Seemed like our LFer was someone different every year. We'd pick up some starting pitcher that no other team wanted and he'd be our 3rd or 4th starter. Seriously. I'm with so many of you who suffered through those years.

And now I think of those days and the current regime and the current roster. And how all the positions are legitimately locked up with REAL answers. Best starting pitching staff I can ever recall in my near 50-year lifetime.

This also brings me to the fact that with so many positions filled and for a long time, the Reds have legit trading chips.

So here's my crazy scenario:

1. By mid-June, the Reds have run away with the division, and are looking like the best team in baseball.
    2. The lineup, from top to bottom is raking with individually most of them having their best seasons ever, including Choo. Choo is setting the world on fire, getting on base at a high rate (near .400), batting .330, and playing stellar defense in CF.
    3. Meanwhile, at the minors, Billy Hamilton, Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson are all doing very well also.
    4. Behind the scenes. Walt has a verbal agreement with Boras, to sign Choo to a 3/$36M contract.
    5. Behind the scenes. Walt has a verbal agreement with The Fish, to trade Hamilton, Corcino, Stephenson, and Ludwick (salary relief) for Giancarlo Stanton.

If 1 thru 4 happen, would you do that trade?

My gut is it's too much and hurts our starting pitching down the road. But I'd be extremely tempted and would do the deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another multi-situation Stanton trade thread.....

How far from Free Agency is Stanton?

I would do nearly anything to land Stanton but I can't see the Reds making this deal in this scenario.

The Reds have done a nice job locking up their core players but in order to remain successful they're going to need to maintain the stream of young, cheap talent to compliment that core. This trade would wipe out all of the Reds best cheap, controllable talent and put them in a scenario where they'd be paying market value for Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Choo and Cueto and also having to pay higher arbitration prices for Latos, Bailey and the newly acquired Stanton.

That may work if you're playing with a $200mil payroll but I'd imagine Castellini's largesse doesn't extend quite that far.

First off, 1-4 is not gonna happen. You are describing the perfect season. Someone is gonna get hurt or slump. But I'll play along

No, I wouldn't do the trade. It's mainly because of BP. He's doesn't have that much time left as an All-Star caliber player and I see Hamilton as a future infielder starter, at SS or 2B. Cozart is 27 and just starting his second full year as a starter, who knows if he's a Brandon Ryan or could improve his hitting. If one of them get hurt who's taking over?

2-3 prime years from Stanton, Choo and Bruce would be amazing but not at the cost of the future of the infield. That's not considering the Starting pitching questions it brings up.

Yes. This is the best team the Reds have had in decades. If there's even a microscopic chance to bolster that by adding one of the best talents in MLB, you do it and don't think twice. If the Reds did that trade, you could hear the audible groans of "Oh crap" from 29 other teams.

Print those tickets, boys. We'd be coming home with a few years of trophies.

Choo 3/36 is not going to happen. Victorino got 3/39.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Choo 3/36 is not going to happen. Victorino got 3/39.
    Especially if he's having the dream season of .330 BA and .400+ OBP. If he does that this year, he'll get 15 million per year.

He might get 15 million even if he doesn't do that.

As for the thread question, I think you need to do it. Yeah, it would hurt our future, but giving us an even better chance for a WS title than we already have is hard to pass up on. Our current roster has a window through 2015, if my memory serves me. Adding a guy like Stanton ensures that the window will close, but its open wider before it does.
    Last edited by bigredmechanism; 03-13-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How far from Free Agency is Stanton?
    Free agent in 2017. But he is going to likely set arbitration records starting next season.

by signing Votto like we did the Reds brass will have the spend the better part of the next 5 years figuring out how to contend while using younger players who wont break the bank....now, if we all of a sudden become the Cardinals and sell out every home game and content for a World Series title each and every year then we might be able to afford a Stanton type contract but without those scenarios falling perfectly in place we will never have 2 Votto type contracts on this team at the same time....

In a perfect world where money did not matter I would do that trade for sure...who knows what those minor leagueres will do when they make it to the big leagues.....we know what Giancarlo can do and he would make this lineup pretty scary and we would automatically be a staple in the playoffs for the next few years......

but on the other hand, I am counting on those minor league pitchers that you just traded away to anchor this teams pitching staff for the future....now we need to find another sure fire starter and a pen guy, possibly closer in Stephenson......those are not just pitchers that you trade away and still expect to win games.....that is IF they pan out.

good topic and a good what if.....its fun to read everyones opinion on what they would do....sure makes for some good thoughts.....remember this, if Giancarlo has another good to great year in 2013, he will break the arbitration record or come close to it....if he has another great to above great year in 2014 he will break ARods contract hands down and he will be sought after by every owner with half a billion dollars sitting around for a contract. (half a billion might be an exaggeration but I could see him fetching 360-380 mill for 12 years.......he has that type of star power if he puts it together like most experts think he will....once he learns, or should I say IF he learns how to be a hitter and not just a power hitter, you will see a contract like the one I stated....its comming from some owner thats for sure.

I would not trade Hamilton, Corcino and Stephenson all in the same deal. Not for anyone. The Reds pitching staff is going to need reinforcements in the 2015/2016 range.

The best offer I'd make for Stanton would be 2 of those guys + a lesser prospect + Ludwick.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would not trade Hamilton, Corcino and Stephenson all in the same deal. Not for anyone. The Reds pitching staff is going to need reinforcements in the 2015/2016 range.

The best offer I'd make for Stanton would be 2 of those guys + a lesser prospect + Ludwick.
    That's what I'd prefer. I figured someone would tell me it's not enough to pry away Stanton.

While I can't wait to see Hamilton playing CF for the Reds, there are no guarantees he'll even succeed. Some people have him penciled in as a future All-Star already.

I'm more worried about the future of the starting pitching if we trade several of our top pitching prospects.

Turn Off Ads?