Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He went 0-8 over the two games before today. I guess that is cooling off. After tonight, he is hitting .323/.364/.548 so far in May.

My point about the power wasn't that he was going to hit 25 home runs, but that he isn't some slap hitter. Just like Drew Stubbs wasn't, even though his minor league numbers may have suggested it. But some people certainly suggested that both guys were slap hitters because of their minor league numbers.
    Like I stated, 4 for 19. His BABIP is .400. His line drive rate is high, so I will give him that (even those numbers are above your typical line drive numbers). Yet only 3 walks so far. In all honesty, I see him as a .300 to .320 at best OBP guy with some years under .300. He also is not going to slug .655. Let's face facts, he is most likely a .450 type guy at best. So I see a .770 ceiling for him and will probably be a low to mid .700 guy. Which for a shortstop in today's league, especially one with a good glove, is not too bad. I see him probably being an above average SS. Yet that is as far as I would go, and I can even see him completely flame out if he is not good at making adjustments.

Of course I could be wrong and maybe he is the next Nomar Garciaparra (a SS who ended up hitting much better in the pros during his prime). Yet even Nomar was a .800+ OPS guy in the minors with stints where he was well above that.

I do agree, he is not a slap hitter. Yet he is certainly not a power hitter either. If he ends up being a .800+ OPS guy with a OBP above average I will be rather surprised, and not even this hot start has changed my opinion on that.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't think anyone is arguing that what he is doing right now is anywhere near what he is. I haven't seen it. Heck, I think his ceiling is probably as a .750 OPS type of guy.

Not sure anyone has suggested he is a power hitter, though I could have missed that.

I just think you are arguing things that no one has said.

I don't think anyone is arguing that what he is doing right now is anywhere near what he is. I haven't seen it. Heck, I think his ceiling is probably as a .750 OPS type of guy.

Not sure anyone has suggested he is a power hitter, though I could have missed that.

I just think you are arguing things that no one has said.
    Not all are arguments, more are simple statements. Yet there has been some major excitement and conclusions made on trades based on the very early season numbers.

Don't forget, the Arizona GM compared him to Jeter. So I may not be arguing with anyone in particular here, but come on, Didi has been talked up way too much. I am sort of getting tired of it, especially with his hot start.
    Last edited by scott91575; 05-13-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Not all are arguments, more are simple statements. Yet there has been some major excitement and conclusions made on trades based on the very early season numbers.
    In this thread? Who has drawn conclusions about anything from 2013 so far? I didn't see you quote any of those posts, hence all of this confusion about where exactly you are coming from.

In this thread? Who has drawn conclusions about anything from 2013 so far? I didn't see you quote any of those posts, hence all of this confusion about where exactly you are coming from.
    You have not seen the conclusions about trading Leake instead of Wood, Stubbs being a .750 OPS player, and trading Cozart instead of Didi? Heck, even the speculation of "if Didi is an all star Towers looks like a genius." It's all a bit too much. Maybe I will become the richest man in the world, but I don't think anyone should spend too much time on that hypothetical.

Not all in this thread, and some have been moved out of this thread IIRC. There are whole other threads on the subjects based on stuff in this thread. Plus, there is really only 1 person actually bumping this thread with general info. The rest is "oh look, [insert name] has these numbers." Oh no! The Reds may have not given up junk! Ya know, like someone bumping it after a 2 for 5 game.
    Last edited by scott91575; 05-13-2013 at 02:49 AM.

You have not seen the conclusions about trading Leake instead of Wood, Stubbs being a .750 OPS players, and trading Cozart instead of Didi? Heck, even the speculation of "if Didi is an all star Towers looks like a genius." It's all a bit too much.
    Sure I have. Several pages ago.

But let's jump into it. Would it shock anyone if Travis Wood wound up better than Mike Leake? If Didi Gregorius turns into an All-Star caliber shortstop, doesn't Kevin Towers look like a genius, especially if he does it sooner rather than later? Stubbs.... I just don't know about that one. But the other two?

The rest is "oh look, [insert name] has these numbers." Oh no! The Reds may have not given up junk! Ya know, like someone bumping it after a 2 for 5 game.
    I am simply happy that Didi is doing well. I like him, both as a person and as a player. I root for him to do well. He is doing well. This thread is appropriate for talking about how he is doing, is it not?
    Last edited by dougdirt; 05-13-2013 at 02:54 AM.

You have not seen the conclusions about trading Leake instead of Wood, Stubbs being a .750 OPS player, and trading Cozart instead of Didi? Heck, even the speculation of "if Didi is an all star Towers looks like a genius." It's all a bit too much. Maybe I will become the richest man in the world, but I don't think anyone should spend too much time on that hypothetical.
    Towers could look like a genius because he loved Didi because of his athleticism and felt he would grow into a much different player because of it. Anyone can look at a player having good numbers in minors and say hey I think he will be good in majors. He looked at it from his scouting background and seen potential for much more. It is way early but he has to be encouraged by the start.

If you don't like talk about small samples possibly being an introduction to something more you should probably avoid forums until August.

Sure I have. Several pages ago.

But let's jump into it. Would it shock anyone if Travis Wood wound up better than Mike Leake? If Didi Gregorius turns into an All-Star caliber shortstop, doesn't Kevin Towers look like a genius, especially if he does it sooner rather than later? Stubbs.... I just don't know about that one. But the other two?

I am simply happy that Didi is doing well. I like him, both as a person and as a player. I root for him to do well. He is doing well. This thread is appropriate for talking about how he is doing, is it not?
    No, this thread is about tracking the progress of players the Reds traded. When you ignore the bad and only post the good with your own personal "hooray," you are manipulating the purpose of the thread. Please start your own "hurrah for Didi" thread and stop manipulating this thread for your own personal party. Didi is doing well. Good for him. Yet when you ignore the fact he is 4 for his last 19, and in fact mocking it, and then stating he is doing work thanks to a 2 for 5 day, you are making a mockery of it. So please get off your high horse and simply admit you are willing to ignore the bad and exalt the good in order to justify your own personal beliefs. There is even a whole Didi thread for that to be done.

You in fact tried to mock me for stating a simple truth. You provided a one day sample for people, and I in fact provided the rest of the information you conveniently left out since the last report on him. You are biased, and it's pretty clear. If you would have just stated his overall progress I would have left well enough alone. Yet you did not, and you in fact are responding to other people from other threads, something you seem rail against me for. You felt the need to continue to state how well he is doing while leaving out the fact he was hitless in his previous two days. The only person who has had any decent sensibility in this thread has been the OP, and I applaud him for that. Yet your views on someone you clearly have a personal like for has skewed your views.

As for your other statements, as far as Kevin Towers goes, you know the full reason people make those statements is giving validity to his recent stats making him an all star. As for Travis Wood, I have stated my thoughts on that and went into full depth into why he was dealt instead of Leake. It was not even all about skill as a pitcher. Wood had 1 option left at best (that one is still a little hazy), the Reds just traded for Latos, and Chapman was slated to be the 5th starter. Leake had 3 options left. So talent was not the only thing, and on top of that I have stated why Wood is not even a superior option on multiple occasions. It was and still is a tossup at best.

10. Likes:

westofyou (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Towers could look like a genius because he loved Didi because of his athleticism and felt he would grow into a much different player because of it. Anyone can look at a player having good numbers in minors and say hey I think he will be good in majors. He looked at it from his scouting background and seen potential for much more. It is way early but he has to be encouraged by the start.

If you don't like talk about small samples possibly being an introduction to something more you should probably avoid forums until August.
    If you don't like the fact small sample sizes are poor, perhaps you should avoid baseball entirely.

This thread is about updates, and that is fine. Not cherry picking random days where they do well, or making grandiose statements about their future. I, in all honesty, have in fact mocked them and perhaps I shouldn't have. Yet when people ignore the bad and only post the good it is is poor form. So is the inverse. If people stop only posting something they like, I will not post what they don't like.
    Last edited by scott91575; 05-13-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Dude...chill out. If you want to make a point of updating this daily, then fine, but most people only think to mention something here if it's "so and so went 4-5 with a HR" or "what's his face struck out 4 times today giving him 11 over his last 26 ABs."

You don't need to take someone's recognition of a player's good day as a personal jab that you need to defend. If someone said "Didi with another 2-5 day, boy are we going to regret that trade," then maybe it's worth some debate.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Dude...chill out. If you want to make a point of updating this daily, then fine, but most people only think to mention something here if it's "so and so went 4-5 with a HR" or "what's his face struck out 4 times today giving him 11 over his last 26 ABs."

You don't need to take someone's recognition of a player's good day as a personal jab that you need to defend. If someone said "Didi with another 2-5 day, boy are we going to regret that trade," then maybe it's worth some debate.
    Actually, if you look on this thread, most people outside of the OP don't make a point of updating with bad stats. Like I stated before, the OP (I really need to look up his name, but I am a lazy, lazy man) has done a good job of just doing updates. Other than that, it's mostly been people biding their time waiting to post a hot streak by someone they thought would be a good player with the Reds. yet instead the Reds dealt that player.

I am not taking it as a personal jab (well, besides the time it was and stated as much). I just hate something that started as a thread that actually looks back on a Reds trade with objectivity, but became something else. It becomes a thread about "oh dear God why did we deal that guy?!" Overall stats with updates from the last update are great. I enjoy that. Yet when people update 1 day or a random hot streak and ignore the rest, well, that is just poor form. Why haven't people posted about Stubb's recent cold streak? Why did Didi go through a 2 for 14 streak before Doug decided he was doing work? Why was it a big deal before that, and then suddenly nothing? Why are there no posts about Stubbs being below .600 before his hot streak? That is my point.

Make updates, not cherry picking stats because you liked them.

As for chilling out, I am not upset in the least. I am articulating an opinion. Sometimes that can be done with brevity, and sometimes it cannot. The length or the matter at hand does not purvey anger.

Make updates, not cherry picking stats because you liked them.
    Everyone "cherry picks stats". If it is not a career line then it has selective end points.

Sometimes small samples indicate possibility of a trend continuing and some people would like to talk about those possibilities. Everything that is a change starts out as small sample. Jose Baustista's power outburst started out as a couple hot weeks. I don't see anyone that stated the start to a season is proof of anything, only a possibility of future success.

16. Likes:

OGB (05-16-2013)

don't a lot of players cool off after a concussion? I'm not saying DiDi is the next Barry Larkin, but man...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Well, I think I was the only one praising Stubbs in this thread for having a decent start to the season.
    I wasn't trying to say that the Reds screwed up or that he would maintain this.
    I think IF Stubbs can OPS 700, he's a decent player. Not a star, but a decent player. In no way am I predicting what he will end up as. He's a flawed player.

I think it's fair to say that "if Didi ends up being an allstar, then Towers is a genius".
    Lots of people just assumed AZ got hosed in that three way deal. It's possible that when that trade is looked at in 5 years, maybe AZ ends up winning the trade.
    Not out of the question that Bauer washes out, the Reds only get one year of Choo (and the supplemental FA draft pick washes out), while Didi is a solid SS for AZ for 6 years. Am I predicting that? No. But it's possible.

No offense, but try to relax.. This is just talking about ex-Reds in this thread. I guess I don't see people grandstanding around saying "I was RIGHT ABOUT STUBBS". "Trading Didi WILL HAUNT"... It's kind of funny to see the stats rise and fall in this early season... People have their favorite traded players, and are happy to see them doing well. People also like to see their "goats" struggle after being traded. It's human nature.

I would still rather have Leake than Wood, but maybe Wood ends up being the better pitcher... too early to tell for sure. Both pitchers need everything to work well for them to have success, although I think Leake has a little bit more margin for error with his sinker and his ability to throw 4 pitches for strikes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

oneupper (05-14-2013)

Travis Wood = Three Fingers Brown.
    First starter for the Cubs to have 8 straight starts of 6 innings and 3 ER or less...to begin the season since Brown.
    I still say 3 ER in 6 innings is not a QS....but it is hard to believe that no one has been able to achieve that as a Cubs pitcher since old Mordecai.

Travis is also a pretty good hitting pitcher as well.

Yonder would have been nice to keep if he could have played LF, but he is no longer able to use the ballpark in SD as an excuse to be a Sean casey light. They reconfigured that park to help the hitting. I still like him but he is more like James Loney as a hitter right now.

Turn Off Ads?