Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Fair point. I would ask though, who is the Reds best prospect that you would be comfortable with putting on sale for international pool money?
    I certainly wouldn't include a Top 10 prospect, but I would consider moving a C level prospect if I had an international kid interested in signing with my team and I didn't have the bonus pool money available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Fair point. I would ask though, who is the Reds best prospect that you would be comfortable with putting on sale for international pool money?
    Good question. Assuming the Reds could actually make use of the money for a big time guy, I'd happily sell off Soto, H-Rod, Lamarre, Guillon and players of that ilk, so yeah, other than Lamarre who I've dropped to non-prospect status, most of those guys would be in the 20 to 25 range on my personal list. But, they wouldn't be chaff. They'd still be guys who have a chance to be contributors at the major league level. Pool money is pretty important. I don't think a team would deal it for chaff. They may send cash, but not pool money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good question. Assuming the Reds could actually make use of the money for a big time guy, I'd happily sell off Soto, H-Rod, Lamarre, Guillon and players of that ilk, so yeah, other than Lamarre who I've dropped to non-prospect status, most of those guys would be in the 20 to 25 range on my personal list. But, they wouldn't be chaff. They'd still be guys who have a chance to be contributors at the major league level. Pool money is pretty important. I don't think a team would deal it for chaff. They may send cash, but not pool money.
    I looked up the term chaff. It was defined as worthless. So, I was reaching a bit by calling him chaff.

I've always thought of chaff as guys who you aren't really counting on for anything. He would be a nice player to have, but you just have to hope something clicks with him. He is extremely young for his league so he has time.

I looked up the term chaff. It was defined as worthless. So, I was reaching a bit by calling him chaff.

I've always thought of chaff as guys who you aren't really counting on for anything. He would be a nice player to have, but you just have to hope something clicks with him. He is extremely young for his league so he has time.
    FWIW, if Torreyes was back in the Reds system, I'd probably put him in the 8 to 15 range on my prospect list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Adam Dunn is off the interstate. .200/.309/.469/.778 with 21 HR. His HR last night was career Home Run number 427 which moved him past HOF Billy Williams and into a tie with Mike Piazza for 45th on the all time list. Next up are teammate Paul Konerko and HOF Cal Ripken. He might get those by the ALL Star Break.

FWIW, Dunn is on the block and might be a real shot in the arm for some team. He had a horrid slow start, but over his last 30 days, he's been better than the old Adam Dunn with a line of .289/.420/.622/1.042 with 9 HR in 112 PAs. The Yankees should take a look at him with Texiera out and a need at 1B.

Just bringing up Dunn to give the board something to really argue about during this cold spell for the Reds. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll start a Pete Rose thread.

Adam is on fire right now:

.333/.433/.741/1.174 over the last 28 days, with 10 HR
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-05-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-08-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Adam is on fire right now:

.333/.433/.741/1.174 over the last 28 days, with 10 HR
    Dunn is now tied for 3rd place in the AL for home runs with 23. I hope that being in third place along with 429 career HRs is enough to get him in the Home Run Derby. I will watch the whole thing if either Dunn or Bruce can get in. I am hoping they both get in as a preview to the 2015 HR Derby in GABP.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-05-2013)

I love how his name is in the title and he's still in the majors but nobody 'tracks' Volquez. I just went to his BR page and while I remembered his 2008 season being really good, it was even better than I remembered. Easily outpitched Harang and Arroyo and even managed to rack up 17 wins while striking out as many batters as a still healthy and dominant Johan Santana. He seemed poised to be the ace we see Cueto as now, but then came the arm injury and the PED suspension.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I love how his name is in the title and he's still in the majors but nobody 'tracks' Volquez. I just went to his BR page and while I remembered his 2008 season being really good, it was even better than I remembered. Easily outpitched Harang and Arroyo and even managed to rack up 17 wins while striking out as many batters as a still healthy and dominant Johan Santana. He seemed poised to be the ace we see Cueto as now, but then came the arm injury and the PED suspension.
    He didn't seem poised to be an ace. Too many walks.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Grandal is down for the count. Knee injury, apparently some damage to both the ACL and MCL.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Grandal is down for the count. Knee injury, apparently some damage to both the ACL and MCL.
    Well, it certainly has been a series of unfortunate events for Mr. Grandal. I have little sympathy for the suspension, but this sucks as a follow-up for sure.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

14. Likes:

Always Red (07-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well, it certainly has been a series of unfortunate events for Mr. Grandal. I have little sympathy for the suspension, but this sucks as a follow-up for sure.
    Don't worry, I am sure he can get a hold of stuff that will really help with his recovery.

How many people here thought Travis Wood would be the hands-down "winner" of this tracking thread at this point in 2013? I can't say I did -- though I worried that we hadn't seen the last of him, I certainly didn't expect him to be an All-Star. Congratulations to Travis.

17. Likes:

Slyder (07-08-2013)

Apparently Oakland is expected to DFA Adam Rosales. That was still one of my favorite trades, where we sent Rosales and Willy Taveras to Oakland for Aaron Miles (who would never put on a Reds uniform).
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-08-2013)

Adam Rosales might be my least favorite player in Reds history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He didn't seem poised to be an ace. Too many walks.
    horse hockey. Nolan Ryan led the league in walks 8 times.

One stat does not make one a bad pitcher... It isn't walks that are killing him. It's hits. You can be successful walking a lot of guys if you keep the hits down and the ball in the yard. I liked Volquez because I believed he could do that. I was wrong. Had he stayed a 200+ IP guy and kept his hits allowed below 170, then he's valuable regardless of the walks. But the hits creeped up and the walk rate bumped up a bit too. That negated his best weapon, the strikeout.

But I don't believe the walk rate led to more hits. I think his stuff just became a bit more hittable.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?