Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

3 points
    1. I like the trade: classic case of giving up real, considerable value to get real, considerable value that's more in line with what the team needs.
    2. Yonder Alonso will hit. He has all the tools he's shown all along: extremely early pitch recognition, great balance at the plate, good control of the strike zone. He'd have hit a lot of home runs in GABP to LCF. Unfortunately he's limited to one position and apparently there was no chance that Votto could be moved to LF to open 1b for him. Still, if that had been possible, our lineup would be much better balanced right now and we wouldn't be fixating on Juan Pierre types for balance.
    3. I think we'll miss Alonso and also Grandal, who I'd guess is only 50/50 at C going forward but who will, I think, have a much better offensive career than Mesoraco, who nevertheless was the better one to keep because he's going to be more than acceptable at C for a long time to come.
    But I think there'll be days when we look back at Alonso and Grandal and regret the trade. And if Latos gets hurt, these days will be frequent. That, in my view, is still the biggest risk in this kind of deal for a SP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just want to point out that if the number of players in a trade isn't even on both sides comparing the number of WAR is an extremely flawed way of trying to measure the results.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Personally, I like it when players the Reds deal do well. It speaks highly of the system and the players they develop and just might create some credibility in the organization, lead to the players being coveted and increase their value a smidgen on the trade market.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hope Alonso hits like thunder, Grandal is an all-star catcher who alternates AS years with Mesoraco and Boxberger is a top notch reliever. I even hope Edinson has a nice career in Petco where his wildness is mitigated by the big park. If Latos can meet his potential in Cincinnati then all is well with the trade - both sides come out winners. You can even say the Reds lost the trade and I don;t care. If they get a #1 or 2 starter in Latos I don't care if they "lose" the trade. You can lose a trade and still win it as backwards as that sounds.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I hope Alonso hits like thunder, Grandal is an all-star catcher who alternates AS years with Mesoraco and Boxberger is a top notch reliever. I even hope Edinson has a nice career in Petco where his wildness is mitigated by the big park. If Latos can meet his potential in Cincinnati then all is well with the trade - both sides come out winners. You can even say the Reds lost the trade and I don;t care. If they get a #1 or 2 starter in Latos I don't care if they "lose" the trade. You can lose a trade and still win it as backwards as that sounds.
    For some strange reason, I always root for guys who started out as Reds. It's like they went to my high school or something, some weird parochial Cincinnati thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    For some strange reason, I always root for guys who started out as Reds. It's like they went to my high school or something, some weird parochial Cincinnati thing?
    I can't root for Volquez just can't.

As for the rest of the guys I always liked Alonso and he was a class act during his time in Cincy. I hope he becomes a monster in every game he plays with the exception of the games in Cincy.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I can't either.

He didn't start out as a Red.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

As for the rest of the guys I always liked Alonso and he was a class act during his time in Cincy. I hope he becomes a monster in every game he plays with the exception of the games in Cincy.
    Sums up my thoughts as well.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Personally, I like it when players the Reds deal do well. It speaks highly of the system and the players they develop and just might create some credibility in the organization, lead to the players being coveted and increase their value a smidgen on the trade market.
    I see your point. I guess I hope they do well except when they play the Reds. I've altered my original statement.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alonso isn't an elite power guy like Adrian Gonzalez is/was. That makes a difference in a place like Petco. Alonso has talked about how he has basically altered his swing because he knows trying to hit for power there won't work for him. You would see a different guy in other places.
    But the claim was that in another part, Alonso could 400 OBP / 500 SLG
    Petco isn't likely to be hurting his OBP, is it?
    It's 342 now.

Yea, Alosno altered his swing, but that seems to have been a mistake if he did that.

He had gaudy numbers last year in Cincy, but I wonder how much of that was helped by small sample size and Dusty playing him in favorable matchups. Also, now that Alonso is a regular starting player, teams are going to have better scouting reports on his weaknesses.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Yonder's not an elite anything guy, which is why it made sense to deal him away from a team that employs the best 1B in the business.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But the claim was that in another part, Alonso could 400 OBP / 500 SLG
    Petco isn't likely to be hurting his OBP, is it?
    It's 342 now.

Yea, Alosno altered his swing, but that seems to have been a mistake if he did that.

He had gaudy numbers last year in Cincy, but I wonder how much of that was helped by small sample size and Dusty playing him in favorable matchups. Also, now that Alonso is a regular starting player, teams are going to have better scouting reports on his weaknesses.
    Yes, Petco hurts OBP because non-homer runs cause BABIP to change, which changes average, which changes OBP.

And when I said he is a .300/.400/.500 guy, I meant more so in his prime than right this second.

I'll definitely be following how Torreyes does-I wish they had found a way to keep him out of the trade.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I'll definitely be following how Torreyes does-I wish they had found a way to keep him out of the trade.
    I agree. And after his horrible start to the season, he's playing very well here in the second half.

First half .221/.284/.302/.585
    Second half .333/.392/.522/.914

And 23 bb for the year to go with 23 K's. Of all the guys traded this off season, he's the one I may miss the most.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yonder's not an elite anything guy, which is why it made sense to deal him away from a team that employs the best 1B in the business.
    This.

Alonso's the chuck round of first baseman. Unfortunately, he's playing a position that, for a decade now, has demanded filet or, at worst, prime rib.

Turn Off Ads?