Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    For playing on a last place team, Wood is putting up some good numbers.

3-2, 7 starts, 46 IP, 29 hits allowed, 2.33 e.r.a., 14 BB, 34 K, .179 average against him, WHIP 0.93.

Some will argue the league hasn't seen him enough. I disagree. He's been around long enough.

I'll give him props.
    He has been pitching well, but I wouldn't point to the league not seeing him. I would point to his .202 babip, which is incredibly low. He is not a bad pitcher, but he is not great either. His line drive rate of 17% is a bit lower than the league average of about 20%, yet not by much. His strikeout rate and walk rate are right around average. All of that adds up to a pretty lucky pitcher, especially since the Cubs are not a good fielding team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wood has turned himself into a pretty competent pitcher. Would probably take him over Leake at this point, but would be pretty close.

But I think anyone who sees him as much more than that is getting fooled by the sample size.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wood is one of those guys who seems to have a small ability to control his BABIP. In 2011, it was high, but we also know that in 2011 he was having real problems throwing his cutter. For his career, in 411 innings, he has a .265 BABIP. While his current BABIP should rise from the .200 mark it is at right now, he has a history of being one of the guys who seems to be able to keep his BABIP lower than the league.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (05-13-2013)

Gregorius went 2-5 today with a double and a triple. Getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Gregorius went 2-5 today with a double and a triple. Getting it done.
    and he is 4 for his last 19.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    and he is 4 for his last 19.
    And 21 for his last 58.

Love the small sample size debates (ie. nitpicking which numbers mean something).

Didi is doing well, but means nothing until he does it well for longer.

10. Likes:

remdog (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Love the small sample size debates (ie. nitpicking which numbers mean something).

I was really just jabbing back at a 4 for 19 sample with a "this season" sample.

Clearly Didi isn't this good. I don't need a sample size to know that. With that said, I think the notion that Didi Gregorius is just a slap hitter can be put to rest with this sample size for those who did make that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

That is pretty much what I was getting at. I was giving him a jab for posting about 1 game and stating "getting it done." I too can find small sample sizes that shows he is not getting it done.

The guy has 64 PA's. I like the updates, but the editorials here are often laughable.

I guess if we want to stick to this season as some sort of conclusion, he is one of the worst clutch hitters in the league. He is batting .000 with runners in scoring position (0 for 9).

Oh, and he got thrown out at home today while on 3rd base and 1 out. The next hitter singled.
    Last edited by scott91575; 05-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

BTW...Drew Stubbs just went 0-3 with 3 K's (after getting a day off to avoid Verlander). He is now 3 for his last 24 with 9 K's and no extra base hits. OPS down to .658.

That is pretty much what I was getting at. I was giving him a jab for posting about 1 game and stating "getting it done." I too can find small sample sizes that shows he is not getting it done.

The guy has 64 PA's. I like the updates, but the editorials here are often laughable.

I guess if we want to stick to this season as some sort of conclusion, he is one of the worst clutch hitters in the league. He is batting .000 with runners in scoring position (0 for 9).

Oh, and he got thrown out at home today while on 3rd base and 1 out. The next hitter singled.
    Clearly his season isn't some conclusion. But the guy is hitting to cover off of the ball to start the season.

I am going to continue a theme here since many only post when players are going well.

Yonder Alonso - 5 for his last 25. OPS still a respectable .743 considering where he plays half the time.

Dave Sappelt - It's pretty much all bad. .451 OPS and a -1.4 UZR

Brad Boxberger - Has pitched 3.2 scoreless innings in 2 mop up appearances.

Edinson Volquez - 2 quality starts in a row to bring his ERA down to 5.15. Only walked 7 in those 2 starts.

Ronald Torreyes - 5 for last 27 with 2 doubles. OBP still over .400, but now slugging .375.

Yasmani Grandal - Found a new supplement supplier that swears it won't show up on drug tests.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Clearly his season isn't some conclusion. But the guy is hitting to cover off of the ball to start the season.
    I agree, but he has cooled off recently. He also doesn't walk much (which was true in the minors) and I really don't expect him to continue to hit for power. He only had 1 year in the minors over .400 slugging. Guys get hot. Heck, even Drew Stubbs gets hot. I just think some here have gone a little overboard with some former player starts.

I agree, but he has cooled off recently. He also doesn't walk much (which was true in the minors) and I really don't expect him to continue to hit for power. He only had 1 year in the minors over .400 slugging. Guys get hot. Heck, even Drew Stubbs gets hot. I just think some here have gone a little overboard with some former player starts.
    He went 0-8 over the two games before today. I guess that is cooling off. After tonight, he is hitting .323/.364/.548 so far in May.

My point about the power wasn't that he was going to hit 25 home runs, but that he isn't some slap hitter. Just like Drew Stubbs wasn't, even though his minor league numbers may have suggested it. But some people certainly suggested that both guys were slap hitters because of their minor league numbers.

Best thing about Torreyes so far? 14 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Turn Off Ads?