Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

At this point, Wood is the only player on this list that I somewhat regret losing. On the other hand, I'm very happy the Reds got Latos and Marshall. Both trades are working out very well at this point, IMO. Great job by Walt and the front office.

2. Likes:

Benihana (09-06-2013),Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Don't look now..but Didi Gregorius is cooling off bigtime and Cozart is heating up a bit.

- Didi is at .707 OPS (.513 in August)
    - Zack is at .661 OPS (.726 in August)
    I think at this point it's a wash. What isn't a wash is Didi's contribution to acquiring Shin Shoo Choo.

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I think at this point it's a wash. What isn't a wash is Didi's contribution to acquiring Shin Shoo Choo.
    Gregorius is slugging the same as Cozart and has a 50 point advantage in OBP. That isn't anywhere near a wash.

Now, Cozart has garnered more playing time, partially because Gregorius has been injured some this year, but on a rate scale, Gregorius has outperformed Cozart by quite a bit.

Choo has been fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Gregorius is slugging the same as Cozart and has a 50 point advantage in OBP. That isn't anywhere near a wash.

Now, Cozart has garnered more playing time, partially because Gregorius has been injured some this year, but on a rate scale, Gregorius has outperformed Cozart by quite a bit.

Choo has been fantastic.
    Don't forget Didi is quite a bit younger than Cozart. But the Reds wouldn't be a playoff team without Choo so no regrets on the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    At this point, Wood is the only player on this list that I somewhat regret losing. On the other hand, I'm very happy the Reds got Latos and Marshall. Both trades are working out very well at this point, IMO. Great job by Walt and the front office.
    I felt this way until Cingrani came up. Now I don't miss him at all. Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani is one of the best rotations in the game.

9. Likes:

RedEye (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Don't forget Didi is quite a bit younger than Cozart. But the Reds wouldn't be a playoff team without Choo so no regrets on the trade.
    You think Choo is a 7 win player?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Where did you get 7 wins, I'm assuming our win cushion between Arizona? I agree that Choo is why we are in the playoffs. Without him, we could be fighting with Arizona/Washington for the last wildcard spot rather than NL Central trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Choo has been fantastic.
    Thought it was worth posting that among qualified MLB shortstops Cozart is ninth in UZR at 5.3 with a 7.7 UZR/150. Didi is seventeenth among qualified MLB shortstops in UZR with -1.0 and has a -1.9 UZR/150.

Baseball Reference's Rtot fielding stat, for shortstops at 90 games or more (Didi's game total), has Cozart eighth in the NL with a +1 rating. It has Gregorius tenth at -3.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thought it was worth posting that among qualified MLB shortstops Cozart is ninth in UZR at 5.3 with a 7.7 UZR/150. Didi is seventeenth among qualified MLB shortstops in UZR with -1.0 and has a -1.9 UZR/150.

Baseball Reference's Rtot fielding stat, for shortstops at 90 games or more (Didi's game total), has Cozart eighth in the NL with a +1 rating. It has Gregorius tenth at -3.
    I don't put any faith in the BR fielding stats.

With UZR, I have more faith, but I will be waiting for the Fielding Bible, especially for a guy with about 60% of a season. Cozart seems about right in that above-average area. Gregorius just doesn't jive with the eye test of a below average defender for me. Maybe he is, I haven't watched him play a ton this year, but I have seen him play a ton in the past and that just doesn't jive with him being a slightly below average defender.

Padres GM Josh Byrnes was interviewed by mlb.com and asked about the Latos deal:
    MLB.com: If you go back to the Mat Latos trade, Grandal was suspended and has been hurt, Yonder Alonso has been hurt, you just released Edinson Volquez. Latos with the Reds is one of the top pitchers in the league. Are you OK with the way it's turning out?

Byrnes: Yes and no. We knew we had Volquez for two years. He didn't really work here. Having six years of Alonso and Grandal, having Brad Boxberger, it's a lot of long-term value. For a team that had no offense -- we were desperately trying to balance our offense -- Yonder gives us some offense and tough at-bats. You look at Grandal, you look at our record when he's caught, I want to say it's something like 10 or 15 games over .500. He's a two-way catcher. He can hit. He can run a game. I think Latos is a superlative pitcher, but we got some things back.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Padres GM Josh Byrnes was interviewed by mlb.com and asked about the Latos deal:
    This was laughable. I still think Alonso is a potential 850 OPS 1B, but at this point Grandal is a joke. There have already been pitchers in the Reds system that have passed up Boxberger IMO I wouldve thought he'd be a Hoover type set up guy by now.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think it's more complicated than that, because while I think WAR (and similiar stats) have value, a team can be greater than the sum of it's parts.

Given that Ludwick was lost most of the year, I think that without Choo the offense would've struggled.
    Choo has scored 97 runs so far and driven in 48. I know people cringe at counting stats, but bear with me
    97 + 48 - 20 HR = 125 runs created (the "old school" way)
    That's pretty productive.
    You can also look at the saber stats and see how valuable Choo has been.
    If we had gotten D Span instead (331/386/771), it's hard to say we'd be 7 games worse, but we'd sure be sweating a lot harder now.
    Span probably saves a couple runs with his glove that Choo doesn't, but it's a pretty big drop off from an elite hitter like Choo to a guy like Span, who is actually above average (IMO) for a CF.

All the more reason to enjoy this season to the fullest, as Choo and Arroyo are pending FAs.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

remdog (09-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    This was laughable. I still think Alonso is a potential 850 OPS 1B, but at this point Grandal is a joke. There have already been pitchers in the Reds system that have passed up Boxberger IMO I wouldve thought he'd be a Hoover type set up guy by now.
    Well, in fairness to Josh B, he has to support his players.
    He can't exactly call Grandal a joke to the press
    Plus Grandal might bounce back post-steroids. I agree it's a big of a long shot, but guys like Giambi supposedly bounced back from it.

At least he was honest about Volquez (since he could be).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Tidbit about Didi on MLB Trade rumors a few days ago. Not saying that Didi is bad, just passing it on...

•The Diamondbacks will take a long look at Chris Owings over the final weeks of the season as they try to evaluate their shortstop position in the long-term, manager Kirk Gibson tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. Owings won Pacific Coast League MVP honors this season by hitting .330/.359/.482 with 12 homers and 20 steals. Gibson praised his positive attitude in the face of last offseasons acquisitions of Didi Gregorius, Nick Ahmed and Cliff Pennington. Gregorius, who started out the season on a hot streak, has hit just .208/.288/.277 over his past 55 games, opening the door for Owings to make an impression.

20. Likes:

powersackers (09-10-2013)

Even if the Reds only make a qualifying offer to Choo (and Arroyo) I don't think you can under estimate the value of those first round draft picks in re-stocking the system. That has to be added to the equation assessing a one year deal like Choo where the probability existed from the start that he wouldn't be re-signed. Young prospect goes for veteran who doesn't sign and acquire another younger prospect. So you got 1 year of Choo for Stubbs and traded Gregorious for a first round pick a year later. I'd do it again.

Wood for Marshall - there was really no outward sign that Sean was likely to get hurt so it's hard to harp on Walt for this. Sappelt and Torreyes haven't added anything to the discussion. Marshall has another year to even the deal out or not, and Wood another year to solidify his growing rep or pop like a 1 year wonder. I liked Wood from his pick on and don't think he'll disappear. I also don't think he'd have blossomed in Cincy. He would not have cracked this rotation and would have been dealt somewhere. Thrust into Cingrani's role, had he stayed, I don't believe he would have pitched nearly as well - probably would have been getting yanked from pen etc plus sometimes a guy needs a new place to thrive. The Reds got a great LH reliever who has been on the DL but he already helped in last year's run. The Cubs got the edge maybe in this deal, but the Reds didn't get fleeced - they got value. Sometimes both teams really can win a deal.

And the Latos deal? I loved it from the go but it did make me a bit nervous. Seemed a lot to give up. Still, we got a true ace in the making so I was happy. Now I'm giddy. Volquez was a headcase and never an issue. Grandal seemed a star, so did Alonso. Boxberger, a relief ace. Alonso is Casey light. Grandal is a juicer. Brad is spinning his wheels. Latos is everything I had hoped for and more. Big, big win for Walt.

People still cry about Encarnacion but wanted him gone while he was here. Defensive wreck at third, and he showed inconsistently the hitting ability he's displayed at Toronto, although, if you'd foretold him hitting 40+ homers I'd have thought you crazy.

22. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-10-2013),CarolinaRedleg (09-11-2013),remdog (09-11-2013),Tom Servo (09-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?